80 MPH top speed

• It has been discussed @Bigdog, at nausium.

Is the search feature perfect? No. It isn't all that difficult either.

You were wondering about your driving in "5th gear". Here are some snippets from searching "5th gear". Keep your searches simple, it casts a broader net.

• Overdrive is a term used to describe the operation of an automobile cruising at sustained speed with reduced engine revolutions per minute(RPM), leading to better fuel consumption, lower noise, and lower wear.[1] Use of the term is confused, as it is applied to several different, but related, meanings.[1]
    The most fundamental meaning is that of an overall gear ratio between engine and wheels, such that the car is over-geared, and cannot reach its potential top speed, i.e. the car could travel faster if it were in a lower gear, with the engine turning at higher RPM.[1]

Have you ever heard of Google?

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• I think you all are missing the point. I would suggest a fuel filter check/change. Seems that when a filter is plugged it acts as a kind of limiter to demand. When he backs off the throttle performance picks up because fuel flow demand goes down to a point the filter can supply.

LC

• So, for a naturally aspirated Slingshot, driving on a flat road in 5th gear, with the gas peddle pushed to the floor, it will make about 80 mph or so.

If the driver backs off the gas peddle about 25% or so while remaining in 5th gear on the same flat road, the Slingshot will increase in speed?

The group diagnosis is to down shift into 4th gear.

That is one interesting anomaly that I wasn't aware of...and it makes me thankful for my SC!

• 5th gear is that thing I used once and never again.

I drive mostly on 3rd gear, yep I am the guy with the engine always screaming.

Also in all of my M/T cars I have never found an use for flooring the gas pedal, if i need to go faster i just downshift and give it moderate gas, flooring the gas pedal is a habit reserved for automatics.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I think you all are missing the point. I would suggest a fuel filter check/change. Seems that when a filter is plugged it acts as a kind of limiter to demand. When he backs off the throttle performance picks up because fuel flow demand goes down to a point the filter can supply.

LC

FYI there is no "fuel filter" to check or change .....

There is a non serviceable strainer screen integral to the fuel pump assembly ....

As explained when you lug the motor with full throttle in 5th at a relatively low speed you loose power .... same with using a gear higher than conditions require on any manual transmission ....

Shift into third at 10mph and floor it .... see what happens.....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Another 3rd gear fan here.

Use 3rd and 4th to get up to 80, then 5th, and activate cruise control. For Interstate driving, and fuel economy.

Been to the track 4 times, and was taught (correctly) to stay in 3rd. Lots of power in the RPM range. Definitely got over 80 mph.

Be mindful, that if you stomp the gas in an A/T car, it will downshift. Can't explain the physics, but there ya' go. These days, A/T are smarter than the driver. Learn from them.

• I must have the best N/A Sling ever built. Granted, I have DDMWorks CAI, 1320 Stainless header, and Bob's custom tune. I can be running in 5th at 80 mph on flat ground with no wind, and go to over 100 without downshifting with ease. It's not quick, but you have my word it will do it. Dropping to a lower gear does it much more quickly but that's not the point. After hearing about all the problems some have had (Bigdog likely has the worst problems) I don't think I ever want to trade mine. Nearly 26k, only recalls have been done to it. Yes, the hood didn't always shut and latch like it should, but I adjusted that and have no problems with it now.

I am very proactive on maintenance, keep it reasonably clean, and check it for issues that I read about on here. I think I just got a really good one. And before you ask, no..... it is not for sale.....

• I was running bout 100 in 5th - downshifted to 3rd and shot up to 145 - then into 4th at 175 while passing a huge breasted blonde in daisy dukes blowing me a kiss - I locked the brakes up as she came running to get in ........then I woke up ;(;(:D

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• You hit the Rev limiter in 5th because of overdrive. So when you let off the gas in 5th it will Rev down to 80 because it's designed to just highway cruise. I'm Probley not explaining this correctly but I'm hoping you understand what I'm describing.

Then why can I run down I-26 with the cruise set at 100 MPH in 5 th gear keeping up with traffic

• 4 pages of guesses and no one has realized that he doesn't have the faster red Sling. It's either that or as you already know he has a problem with EVERYTHING about the slower gray Sling that he has.

RNJ12

• 4 pages of guesses and no one has realized that he doesn't have the faster red Sling. It's either that or as you already know he has a problem with EVERYTHING about the slower gray Sling that he has.

RNJ12

He has a problem with everything and already knows everything. OH! but still asking questions and telling everyone that they are wrong.

• I can hit 80 in second gear and we'll over 100 in 3rd OH wait you guys are talking MPH not KPH sorry forgot. Us Canadians are so use to the 0-60 in 4 seconds but that's like 0-37 for our USA drivers

• I must have the best N/A Sling ever built. Granted, I have DDMWorks CAI, 1320 Stainless header, and Bob's custom tune. I can be running in 5th at 80 mph on flat ground with no wind, and go to over 100 without downshifting with ease. It's not quick, but you have my word it will do it. Dropping to a lower gear does it much more quickly but that's not the point. After hearing about all the problems some have had (Bigdog likely has the worst problems) I don't think I ever want to trade mine. Nearly 26k, only recalls have been done to it. Yes, the hood didn't always shut and latch like it should, but I adjusted that and have no problems with it now.

I am very proactive on maintenance, keep it reasonably clean, and check it for issues that I read about on here. I think I just got a really good one. And before you ask, no..... it is not for sale.....

I’ve got a similar setup with similar results. No problem getting triple digits in 5th. Big Dogs problems go beyond simple overdrive issues. He had recent post of bogging down on highway so I’m assuming he has some kind of fuel or electrical problem which might possibly be from endless tinkering.I find it hard to believe that a top out of 80 even with pure stock is true.

• There is no issue here with his machine. He would notice this lack of power in other gears if something was really wrong.

5th gear in the Slingshot is really long. 184mph on the dyno in 5th gear.

Read some really old stuff here if you want - Info - Click if you want to be linked This also will clear up anyone bragging about going over 140mph in 4th gear. It isn't possible silly people. ;)

Depending on your weather conditions and altitude, 5th gear can be a compete dud under 80mph. As you increase speed, lets say 100, you are higher in the revs where there is more usable power and the machine has better response/acceleration.

When you smash the pedal in 5th, you are making the vehicle run richer than what it would like to see at that RPM and speed. When you give a small amount of gas, AFR mixture is better, and performance will be better too.

This also speaks volume about the mefiBob NA tune. The drive-ability is much better with his tune (free flowing exhaust helps too) and 4th and 5th gear are much more enjoyable as noted above by a different member.

#catastrophic no acceleration issue ha ;)

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

Edited 2 times, last by TravAZ ().