Recall on swingarm recall?

• If the axle is not rotating then you are not moving.

Ok @FunCycle, maybe I am looking at or reading this wrong. I thought the wheel rotated on the axle and the axle would remain stationary. :?::?::?:

OK, I stand corrected. Just went out and rolled mine and the nuts (actually the nut cover) rotate. Don't know what I was thinking. Guess the riding mower I was working on yesterday (and the heat) got to me. Had to pull the front wheels and grease the bearings on it. Axles stay stationary on it. Guess they are actually spindles though. :whistling:

• I thought that I had it all figured out but, the more I read this thread the more that I am getting confused.
    I will not put what I expect to happen below (or what is happening on my SS) yet. However perhaps one of the options below will give the correct answer and if so can we all have a conclusive response, so this poor Brit' can work things out properly.

Option A.
    When moving the Slingshot, the two nuts (and any cover) remain locked together, (as lock nuts) and rotate on the shaft/axle.

Option B.
    When moving the Slingshot, the two nuts (and any cover) remain locked together, (as lock nuts) and do not rotate on the shaft/axle.

Thanks in advance for the help. :/

All the best, from UK_Paul

• Option A. As long as you mean they remain locked together on the axle and rotate with it.

• So after checking with a few local dealers(Tousley and Motoprimo) as to how they would handle this recall I was not very impressed to say the least.

Both service managers told me that unless there are issues all they do for this recall is put the grommets on and send you on your merry way.

As I mentioned before I had been running without grommets for 7 months and if you stuck your fingers in the holes you could feel quite a bit of debris in there, I explained all this to the service managers and they both said unless you have a sensor going bad or visible deterioration there is nothing that polaris is making them do.

I found this unacceptable so while complaining and whining to Henry @Turbosling he recommended that I take my sling to his dealer Sport Rider Inc, I was hesitant since it is a two hour drive IF you manage to avoid traffic which is unlikely due to the route that you have to take.

I contacted Scott @xd675x explained my situation and asked about the recall and what they would do, he replied that normally what they do is flush out the swingarm to remove any debris that might be in there then remove the sensor and inspect it for moisture, clean it or replace if need be and place the grommets afterwards.

This is what I was looking for and convinced myself to it was worth the trip so told Scott to go ahead and order the parts and let me know when they were ready, a few days later parts arrived and he msged me so we set a day for it.

I arrived there and Scott himself worked on my sling, it was so gratifying to have someone work on it that actually loves slingshots and knows what he is doing since he also is an avid sling rider vs the smuck from Motoprimo who just couldn't be bothered to even wear gloves before touching my steering wheel with his greasy hands(it had a grease stain when i picked it up that was not there when i saw her on the floor).

So after 7 months of ownership and running it without them I finally have grommets, Thanks Scott!

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I can't say it enough. The secret to success with the Polaris Slingshot is finding a dealer that is invested in not only selling the product but servicing it. Those dealers that refused to give top of the line service will ultimately fail because you and I will only tell our friends about the great service we get from XYZ not who we bought it from.

I am a great example of this. The dealer we bought it from couldn't be more of a POS. But thanks to forum members like @EjFord I found a premier dealer and servicing location. I quickly switched out the license plate cover from my selling dealer to my servicing dealer and when people ask me where I got it I tell them I have it taken care of at the best place on Earth and if they mention that POS dealer we bought it from because they are 15 minutes away I tell them the truth and all the problems we've had and why I drive 2 hours to get it serviced right

• Dealer is indicating it is the speed sensor on the rear. They don't have one in stock so I will need to make a trip back.

Headed back to the dealer a fourth time today. As mentioned above, the ABS and traction control lights are still on from when they swapped out the swing arm. They swapped out the speed sensor last week and it didn't clear. Going back today so they can "go back through it again" to see if they can determine the issue.

• Headed back to the dealer a fourth time today. As mentioned above, the ABS and traction control lights are still on from when they swapped out the swing arm. They swapped out the speed sensor last week and it didn't clear. Going back today so they can "go back through it again" to see if they can determine the issue.

Do you know if they ever verified the wheel side bearing is not installed backwards .... its as simple as removing the rear axle to check .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman: Sorry axle, not wheel, need more coffee ... :( ().

• Do you know if they ever verified the wheel side bearing is not installed backwards .... its as simple as removing the rear wheel to check .....

@Orangeman - I mentioned it to the dealer several times and they kind of look at me like I am crazy. Will mention it again as I am at the dealer now. Thanks for the reminder.

A dime to a donut the bearing is in backwards!

• So, they checked the bearing and said it is correctly installed. Looked for pinched or cut wires and everything looks good. They have a call into Polaris for additiona direction / suggestions. They might replace the swingarm entirely.

• Took my Sling back to the dealer for the fifth time to clear the traction control and ABS light occurring since the swing arm recall work.

Just spoke with the dealer - and guess what they figured out.

Yep, the bearing was in backwards.

Now, they said they flipped the bearring and repressed it back into the swingarm.

I asked it the bearing would have been damaged already and they said no, it should be fine.

I recall reading that when the bearing was in backwards on other units, they went ahead and put on another swingarm.

Do I push back or should the bearing be OK?

• I would demand a new bearing. After 5 trips back to the dealer they at least owe you that. Mistakes happen, but own up to it and make it good. The bearing has been pressed in, pressed out, and now repressed back in. A new bearing is what I would want. And notice they said the bearing SHOULD be fine. POSSIBILITY, PROBABLE, AND SHOULD are CYA words.

• Probably going to go against the mob here but I would leave it, have them document what was done, then see if they will honor a reasonable warranty time-frame on the repair.

To me the bearing does not care what direction it runs (the sensor does, but not the bearing) and done with some level of care removing and reinstalling the axle bearings wouldn't concern me. You are up and running and I wonder if you would be better off not letting them go back in there unless they have to. You will know quickly if there is a problem but given its design and that there have been no (known to me) wheel side bearing failures if it was me I wouldn't press my luck. Just ride ........

........ ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......