Engine dies while running down the road

• I bet there is a wire by the "firewall" or in the engine bay that is shorting out. Something in the harness is likely grounding out. This wouldn't be the first time this has happened and wont be the last...

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Well we removed everything that was connected to the harness (halos, amp) even unplugged my phone charger. Temp on wire stops at 120 so I believe we are good.

Gonna have to run everything through to the battery and stay off the very delicate harness.

Hope I make it to the ozarks!!

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• Because I had some mods they stated my extended warranty was not valid. Dealer did the best they could. In the long run I believe it is a faulty harness. I am ready to ride. Been since July.

i cannot thank my friend @Painter enough for picking my sling up and fixing the wiring so I can at least have music. He is a true friend!!!

• It’s 3:00 AM and been re-doing the wiring on Jim’s Sling. All accessories running direct to battery... nothing on harness! Bad brake switch is causing the ABS light to stay on but Owen says new switch should stop that. So far, so good!

• @Painter - been following this thread and your comment helps it make more sense...if a bunch of accessories get wired to the stock power harness I can see where it could overload the stock wire.

I have three additional / dedicated power lines going to the Optima battery directly - one for the aux fuse block (handles all the LED lights) one for the air horn, and the line to the amp under the driver's seat.

The key item here is power hungry accessories need their own dedicated power line(s) to the battery.

• Throwing this out there.....you may have already considered it....what about a dual battery set-up similar to rabtech's set-up?
    Main battery to handle the stock vehicle needs, and the second battery to handle all the accessories?
    Perhaps one battery just can't handle some of the sudden full amp draws that can happen periodically when everything gangs up and wants to draw max amps at once???

Just thinking out loud :thumbsup:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Throwing this out there.....you may have already considered it....what about a dual battery set-up similar to rabtech's set-up?
    Main battery to handle the stock vehicle needs, and the second battery to handle all the accessories?
    Perhaps one battery just can't handle some of the sudden full amp draws that can happen periodically when everything gangs up and wants to draw max amps at once???

Just thinking out loud :thumbsup:

That is a good idea if you have high amperage draws. Jim's sling doesn't really have anything pulling heavy loads on the harness. He has a couple of halos, a horn, with a stock stereo system. The are all connected to a Optima battery which can handle the load.
    If that amount of accessories caused the problem then there would be a lot more melted harness.
    The one thing we could not verify because the way the fuse melted was the condition of the J box before it happened. One other possibility could have been if the fuse connection was loose in the J box. If the terminals were loose and the fuse blades were not making a good contact that could have caused it to overheat and melt down like it did. Checking my 3 main fuses I found two tight like the relays up front and one a little looser.
    I am going to try and tighten up the connection next time I am in the battery compartment.
    I am just thankful Jim will be able to be ready to roll for ES.

• That is a good idea if you have high amperage draws. Jim's sling doesn't really have anything pulling heavy loads on the harness. He has a couple of halos, a horn, with a stock stereo system. The are all connected to a Optima battery which can handle the load.If that amount of accessories caused the problem then there would be a lot more melted harness.
    The one thing we could not verify because the way the fuse melted was the condition of the J box before it happened. One other possibility could have been if the fuse connection was loose in the J box. If the terminals were loose and the fuse blades were not making a good contact that could have caused it to overheat and melt down like it did. Checking my 3 main fuses I found two tight like the relays up front and one a little looser.
    I am going to try and tighten up the connection next time I am in the battery compartment.
    I am just thankful Jim will be able to be ready to roll for ES.

Thanks for the great description @Slingrazor!!
    I've been following the trials & tribulations you both have been enduring, and I'm learning more and more with each post. You folks have FAR more knowledge about these things and I'm hoping you get to the bottom of it sooner than later!!! It's been frustrating you guys for way too long already DAMMIT!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• The underlying issue is the main chassis harness. With nothing attached, including any accessory fuses in the stock fuse block the wire at the fuse was at 125 degrees. This tells me (and the dealer) that something I the harness is causing resistance. And resistance is what I understand is causing this problem.
    It causes a slow buildup of heat that doesn't Es not blow the fuse. Add g some accessories then adds the additional push it needs to over heat.

Since this is a problem in the chevy vehicles as well it is got to be a problem that will surface at some point.

I want to be clear that my dealer Owen Motorsports in Charleston, IL and specifically the tech Geramee did a fantastic job of 1 trying to get Polaris to step up and 2 fixing the problem when Polaris did not.

Lastly I want to say thanks to my friend @Painter who continues to show what this forum is all about. He hates the attention, but I don't know what I would do without him!!

Again thank you Jim!!! You are a blessing to me and so many others.

• @EricRedSL have your dealer call Geramee at Owens. This has happened in at lest 4 slings now. He can give your guy some info.

It melts because it is not an amp surge, but rather a resistance buildup.

Should not come out of your pocket!!

• Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch