2020 Slingshot

• Truth be told.

Weight is still a concern for future builds/changes.

They played with quite a few things in the prototype builds...

What you didn't get would probably piss the majority of people off.

Holding price point to consumer may have have been the deciding factor.

And eating Cheerios may lower your cholesterol.

I still get a kick out of that one...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• [quote='OrangeSlingFL','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8943-2020-slingshot/&postID=299713#post299713']

I would think the oem auto would out shift any oem standard. I guess it depends on the gearing as well. I bought a new GoldWing DCT and in sport mode it can shift faster than manual. We will soon find out. Wanting to see how the motor holds up too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i think you are mistaken this shitty auto tgey out on the new sling vs a proper DCT. Worlds apart all you gotta do is look at the reviews. The auto on it blows.

[/quote]

Yes Your right I forgot we are dealing with Polaris. Honda is way ahead of the game. I will say my Chevy auto in my sling is rock solid and very quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• @MiM's question, above, got me to thinking about the survey from back in late 2015. I think more power may have been one of the questions, but I can't remember for sure. I do remember an automatic transmission was one of the questions. That led me to thinking about the big difference between the SL and R models being the lower amount of power available in the SL model. Since I'd assume the engines are the same between the two models, I assume the difference in power is due to the ECU tune? If so, a new tune should be an instant source of power and should make a big difference for a relatively low cost compared to a turbo or supercharger.

• Good news...

Polaris is pushing hard to get product out the door to meet customer demand.

Bad news...

At what cost to employees?

Public safety?

And their bottom line?

I expect them to be ordered to shutdown soon.

If not from CEO, then by government directives.

Was hoping to see a Slingshot improvement change near September...

Don't expect that will happen this year.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Having driven them both back to back and owning both now the new 2020 is worlds apart from the previous gens.

Yes it's an auto manual and shifting is a little strange but once you get used to it it's just fine. I quite enjoy driving both of them. In slingshot mode when your running it hard it does ok. Does a good job of knowing what gear it should be in and that's the most important. I'd be lying if I didn't say to myself a couple times "damn wish I could pick what gear I want" that is really my only grip about it, otherwise it really is quite fun to drive I don't think it takes away from the "fun factor" at all.

The suspension is greatly improved! It handles way better than previous models. My LE does have adjustable Bilsteins and I have the sway bar upgraded, 22" wheels and it's lowered to get the geometry back into spec (thank you coilovers!) With all that the new one stock handles just about as good as mine.

The ride quality is excellent. Cruising, running the corners (the 5 we have in FL) it's great anyway you run it. Very comfortable, easy to drive, no twitchiness, it's like a little Miata.

Steering. Big improvements here. My SS you can go into a long corner, turn the wheel and leave it and it will stay turning whatever direction your going, the new one does not. It's sharper on turn in, less input and corrections are needed.

The Motor: It's smoother than the 2.4L, revs higher, makes more power and is quieter. Solid piece I really like it.

The interior. Just massive improvements here. It's more than just the steering wheel, the dash is great, the flat bottom is nice, the new center stack and switch gear is really top notch and there is a little more room on the inside because the tunnel isn't as wide. The cup holders are better, a place to put your phone ( and it fits the big phones) the USB located by the phone holder and there is a center console storage as well for a little bonus. The seats are very nice and fit and finish is great. The addition of the little vent for the passenger was a nice touch too.

The headlights. Aside from looking seriously cool at night the LED's are far better than the old SS headlights by a country mile. Most switched the old stockers out for LED's anyway because they are just better. The whole front end is just better.

There is a lot that got changed and all for the better and the manual is still the same price as my SLR LE was in 2018. Kudo's to Polaris for a solid homerun. I think, IMHO, the complaints about an auto not being fun to drive are really unfounded, it's is VERY fun to drive, it's just different that a stick. If I could only have one, which would I choose, not sure honestly. I really like the auto and I really like the manual but I wouldn't be disappointed in either if I had to choose...

2023 Graphite Blue R Manual

2022 Tesla Mode 3 Performance

2020 Toyota Supra MK5 - way to many mods

2022 Harley Davidson Apex Road King

• Oh I'll add another couple nice features.

Key fob, no more key! PIN to start if your fob dies as well is very nice and they added a security system on top of that. The more I look it over and discover the more things I find they improved. If your coming from a 2015 (I had one) it's light years different, aside from looks you could say it's not even the same machine.

Oh and they fixed the angle drive noise. Mine is nice and quiet no whining to be heard anywhere.

• Stopped by dealer this morning to get an engine code removed (they did it for free). Got my first close up look at a 2020 that was delivered there yesterday. Overall all I was impressed. The cockpit comes across more high end than the old. Motor install looks really clean with a lot of anti heat protection under the hood. Firewall had good insulation, battery on forward right where it gets air, aluminum shrouds over exhaust manifold and muffler, fuse box forward for air flow also. Sales guys were happy about the auto trans saying that was their biggest problem with many past sales and the tech guys had almost no concerns with it (said it was louder) but too soon for them. I questioned reliability on a new, ground up engine and their response was that it had a full 2 year warranty. Time will tell but it's about time they did a major shakeup in the line instead of minor tweaks.

• The new 2020 Slingshot does sound like it has a lot of improvements. My concern is the decision to no longer offer an entry-level Base model basically prices me (and possibly many other potential buyers) out of the market. The new 2020 SL w/automatic trans (the new Base model) is not priced much higher than the older SL model. This tells me Polaris could have offered a less expensive entry-level model for just around $2000 over the old Base model price. It will be interesting to see if Polaris eventually brings a less expensive Slingshot model to market.

• The new 2020 Slingshot does sound like it has a lot of improvements. My concern is the decision to no longer offer an entry-level Base model basically prices me (and possibly many other potential buyers) out of the market. The new 2020 SL w/automatic trans (the new Base model) is not priced much higher than the older SL model. This tells me Polaris could have offered a less expensive entry-level model for just around $2000 over the old Base model price. It will be interesting to see if Polaris eventually brings a less expensive Slingshot model to market.

Ditto! In hindsight buying my basic model turned out to be the perfect “starter kit” I wasn’t thinking that way when I bought it but thankfully it worked out great!😎

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Looking back, if my memory serves me, the Polaris Survey I took way back in late 2015/2016 asked if I would be willing to pay a premium over the cost of the SL w/manual trans for an automatic trans and they also asked about the choice of a less powerful engine at a slightly lower price. Now we have the lower power SL with the AutoDrive 'auto trans" at the new entry price and a higher-priced, higher output engine with choice of the AutoDrive trans at an even higher price.

While I haven't driven the new model, a higher-revving motor would seem to be more aligned to the motorcycle experience and with Polaris also offering a more expensive higher Hp model with choice of manual or AutoDrive transmission at an even higher price for the manual tranny, all reflect Polaris' desire for an enhanced motoring experience while also generating higher profit margins for Polaris.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Don’t forget Polaris has been building there own engines for years in all there other vehicles, OHV’s, Victory bike engines, Indian bike engines high performance off roaders, etc. The Razr is built for abuse and seems to be doing well with a 200hp turbo engine in it. I don’t think this is a stretch for them.

• Don’t forget Polaris has been building there own engines for years in all there other vehicles, OHV’s, Victory bike engines, Indian bike engines high performance off roaders, etc. The Razr is built for abuse and seems to be doing well with a 200hp turbo engine in it. I don’t think this is a stretch for them.

Yeap, and this engine has been out in the real world testing for almost 3 years now from what we were told. They were actually going to introduce it last year, but had some supplier issues, which gave them another year of testing on that engine. We are pretty confident it will hold up to superchargers and turbos also from a couple little birdies we have talked with :thumbsup: Our 2020 is on the way here as I type this and we will for sure see what the engine will take :evil:

• Since our nearest dealer is 4 hours away we have to plan a whole day to visit them. As such, though we have no interest in trading ours in, we have been waiting until the 2020's hit the showroom before we take the Grasshopper in to get it's recalls completed.The latest rumors are that still may be several months out.

Bill

• That’s interesting every slingshot dealer here in our area of Tampa FL has at 2-3 in stock. They do seem to be limited to all Autos and either the red SL or Miami blue, have not seen the red/black auto R yet.