What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• Finally got a chance to work on the sling today for a few hours. New business project I have going on been sucking up all my free time after work, so was glad to get started. Would of had old rear off, but ran into snag where I didn't realize I need a 22mm hex I had the 30mm socket for swingarm bolt, but not the hex. Oh well Amazon will have one here tomorrow and can get rear end off and new one in hopefully. Gotta get this ready for Galveston next month!

No description available.

• My most recent mod really transformed my Slingshot!

X(Having gotten fed up trying to get my belt to track properly after replacing my angle drive, I finally scheduled an appt at a local dealer to have the belt aligned in hopes they'd get it fixed. Yesterday, I drove down to the dealer and about 1.5 hrs later, I was ready to head home. I had encountered some heavy rain just before I got the the dealer and a 2 hr lull in the rain forecast was just starting, so I headed home.

Once on the Interstate, I realized there was enough ponding water that I decided to take the next exit where I could drive more slowly. As I approached the exit at around 40 mph or so, there was a lot of water falling onto the roadway from an overpass, resulting in a large area of ponding water. When I hit the ponding water, my 2015 Slingshot spun around and I impacted the right concrete barrier with the left front fender. The Slingshot then climbed the barrier and fell back onto the right shoulder upside down and skidded to a stop, now facing in the direction of traffic. It took me a minute or so tog et my body braced so I could take my weight off the seat belt and release thebelt so I could fall donw into the several inches of water, with my cell phone in my back pocket and underwater. Somehow, the contents of my wallet didn't seem to get damaged despite being in my rear pocket.

Fortunately for me, the combination of seat belt, roll hoops and my TD Top did an excellent job protecting me, leaving me with only a less than dime-sized scratch on my left elbow. The TD Top is not listed as a roll cage, but I feel it was a major factor in reducing any injuries I might have other wise experienced. The TD Top was deformed and pushed back about 4-6" from just ahead of the windshield to behind it but maintained its overall shape.

Unfortunately, The policeman who responded to the crash told me he thought most insurers would consider a vehicle that has flipped upside down to be totaled. I hope to go back and get some pics to better document the situation before calling my insurance company on Monday.

I was asked in another forum if I had turned off the TC. I hadn't. I have tried using that switch in the past and never saw any indication it had done anything. I had been planning on checking the switch to see if it was still connected, but never got around to it. Too late now, I guess.:(

Unfortunately, I will probably be visiting this Forum less since I'm just now beginning to realize I now need to adjust to Life without my Slingshot! Unless, of course, some long-lost relative or friend I didn't realize I had gifts me a replacement Slingshot!;)

I DO feel lucky to have come out of this unscathed!

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• BKL .......sorry to hear about your accident, but SOooo glad you came out of it with just a scrape and nothing worse!!! I suppose the belt alignment is a non issue now8o

Seriously though......It's good to see that the role hoops and top worked together to keep you from any serious injuries!! I hope they don't total your Sling, as it looks pretty darn good considering what happened!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• BKL , so very glad you walked away basically injury free! Like you, I will ride in the rain but prefer getting off the high speed areas. Even 40 mph is fast enough to cause issues when you hit puddling water.

The following is by my experience only, and is not directed at you by any means. It's more for those that haven't been in rain, or are terrified by the horror stories about the Slingshot and wet roads. I've ridden about 85k between the two Slingshots I've owned, and been in rain a good many times. I always turn off the stability control once I see puddling water. Wet roads, I don't worry about it so much, but when the water is standing or flowing across the road I ALWAYS have it off. I don't want the system trying to "correct" something it deems a problem. If one of the front tires hydroplanes and slows, and the opposite tire has traction..... the system could actually cause you to spin out. I would much prefer my driving on potential hydroplaning circumstances. I've driven in hard rain several times, and have had some sketchy moments while hydroplaning. However, with the stability control off the worst of these only had my SS slightly less than straight, and it was able to regain footing as soon as the standing water was passed.

G_H tosses $.02 down..... it's only my two cents on the subject.

• It's not much, but the only picture I have of it. Sling is dirty, and still has the tools of this install (implements of destruction) laying around. I installed rabtech 's front protection pieces yesterday. Very impressed with the ease and quality of these! I know it won't look great on all colors, but with the red and black on mine, I think it looks better than without them!

• Glad you came way with only minor scrapes. The insurance company may let you keep the Slingshot! Would you repair if you can?

• To elaborate on Goats_Hogs post above, I have turned off both TC (traction control) and ESC (electronic stability control) when I have encountered rain. It's a long push of the mode button and both lights should light up on the dash.

BKL I'm so glad you avoided injury! In my experience, any damage to the frame will total the vehicle. It doesn't have to be much and I used this knowledge to have mine totaled when I was hit instead of having it repaired with a salvage title (in my state-not all states are the same). You have been a valued member and contributor on this forum and I'd sure like to see you stick around, Sling or no Sling.

And you know what they say: You can't keep a good man down!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Glad BKL is OK for sure!

This weekend I added the DDMWorks Angle Drive Brace. Two weeks ago did the SlingMods LED Headlight upgrade to all lights.

Not sure what I'll do next. Pacing myself and keeping the add-ons on a low budget at this point.

This weekend I added the DDMWorks Angle Drive Brace. Two weeks ago did the SlingMods LED Headlight upgrade to all lights.

Not sure what I'll do next. Pacing myself and keeping the add-ons on a low budget at this point.

Did you say add-ons or did you mean addiction?

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Thanks everyone for the concern. Remembering the accident and looking at the pics certainly do make thankful that I only got the scraped elbow. Surprisingly, I haven't experienced any pain issues since the crash.

As far as the TC goes, I have tried that switch several times in the past and never saw the deactivation light come on. I had meant to check to see if the switch was somehow disconnected, but never got around to it and also forgot to mention it when I was at the dealer having the belt realigned just before the crash.:(

Just looking at the pics, I assume the insurance will declare it totaled since the hood, front end, several other body panels and the roll hoops were also damaged or scraped.

• Not to be negative but what is with the belt obsession? It's never going to be quiet.

Before the angle drive replacement, the belt never gave me any issues. After the angle drive, the main issue was the belt wouldn't hold its alignment. The noise I could live with (just turn up the music volume^^), but the belt constantly moving all the way outside caused me concern that the belt riding against the outer pulley rim might eventually damage the belt and the Service Manual calls for replacing a damaged belt with the front and rear pulleys and belt and costing over $1100.

......i swear I wish I knew what this is, because when it comes to bikes , I haven't a clue.......

• Not to be negative but what is with the belt obsession? It's never going to be quiet.

While it will never be like riding in a new car with the windows rolled up. As I said before not everyone's comes from the factory with proper adjustments so opinions and experiences will vary. Mine was loud, really loud, embarrassing loud. With proper adjustment and angle drive oil replacement I can say I reduced my noise at least 90 to 95%. In fact, last month I did a ride with an old friend I haven't seen in 17 years. He ran the test cell for GE-TF34-100A jet engines and worked for 10 years on the V-22 Osprey at Boeing. This guy was so picky he could compare variances of toasters for 6 months before making a decision to buy. We did a 40+ mile drive with no radio, talking about old times and not once was the belt drive noise mentioned and I run the stock exhaust. He offered to buy my slingshot, I declined. For me the investment in an allen & deep socket along with the heavy torque wrench was the difference between keeping mine and selling it. I also every few rides shoot the partial exposed areas of the belt and sprockets with dry lube.