Anyone have any info on anything new for the 2020 Slingshot?

• I agree with you on this. Any changes are designed to update and upgrade the look, but are obviously a move away from what made a vehicle popular in the 1st place. The changes are usually subtle in order to maintain the character of the vehicle. Some times they nail it and sometimes the manufacturers just blow it. And then there are times where they do a total redesign and keep the name to try to attract buyers (Mustang II - give me a break!). If the brand lasts long enough, like Corvette's 66 years, the originals always gain value and appeal. Give me $70k and it would be a tough call between a '67, 427, 4-speed, removable hardtop 'vette (my high-school dream car) and a 2019, but there are 2 decades - 80's and 90's - that I wouldn't touch. Hint: the 1st $70k would probably buy the C7 for the drivability over collector value. Sex appeal is strong for me in both!

I had the 67 coupe for 26 years, then sold it. Also had the 1960, both of them red

• I don’t think Alpha ever built his engine, but Rab did install an Alpha kit when he dumped the Hahn system.
    I would say it’s lucky to break 600 HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg, you are correct sir. The engine Rabtech blew up was from the Alpha Turbo that Henry sent him to try out and not an Alpha engine. Sorry for the brain fart, but I was doing taxes and needed a break so I wasn't thinking clearly.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Ok. Here is my engine history.

I have never had an alpha built engine. I was just sent a turbo system to review. It didnt go as planned and it had a few metal shavings that must have been hidden in the intercooler. This caused them to go thru the engine killing it.

1. This was the first engine that had to be swapped.

I didn't kill the second engine we were waiting on an engine to replace the 1st engine. The one mentioned above that sucked up metal from the alpha system. The machine shop didnt have any of Daves lower block assemblies ready. And i had to go to Florida to Panama City beach for bike week. I had invited a bunch of people and it wouldnt have looked good if I didnt make it.... He had an assembled engine that was very questionable. He said it had bad valve seals in it but it would run. So i slid it in and went to bike week and never had any issues. Ocasionally it would smoke when starting and under mild boost it had a little knock. After bike week was over I briught it back to DDM and dave had this "fun" idea to find the weakspot. So he took it down the road and in about 10 minutes my cell phone rang and he had somehow managed ro make all the green blood come out of the exhaust pipe. So we went and got him and come back and dropped a new engine in.

2. This was the second engine that had to be swapped.

I killed one engine in florida "on purpose with permission" from DDMWorks. We were down in Ocala doing 1/2 mile top speed runs and i had just switched to the automatic the day before we left going to ocala. And we didnt have time to tune anythint before we got to ocala. I was 1or 2 mph behind the Honda engine and I could not get my automatic to shift out of 3rd gear. On the last race day Dave logged into my ECU and raised the RPM limit to 9000 just to see if we could use extended rpm to gain the speed we needed. He knew it was probably going to kill it. And sure enough it spun a main bearing around 89000rpm. I actually went to 8900rpm in 3rd gear and was only .7mph behind the fully functioning Honda sling.

3. That is what happend to my 3rd engine.

When I carried it back up to DDM i pulled the engine out and we put a new sand cast block style engine in made some major changes with a new EFR turbo and huge injectors.

So this new style engine has performed flawless and has set the 1/2 mile record at 143.45mph. It has stood up to 20.9psi of boost and its so quiet you cant hear it run.

So im still on this 4th engine and i am pretty sure it will be in there for along time. Its not an open deck block and the cylinders cant move around like the regular block can.

4. So i'm running this engine currently and hopefully nothing will cause us to sacrifice it.

That should give everyone an idea of my engine swaps. And why i have made them. Never had a "failure" when I wasn't expecting it. Sounds weird to say that. But if you read above you will see why.

• Thank you for this information - - so can you tell me what the real HP numbers are that you are getting out of #4?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I only broke one - but in my defense No one to date has figured out how or why it happened. Not even the DDM motor shop. There were no less than 6 guys standing around scratching their heads looking at the #1 Cylinder all saying "I never seen that before" I kept the badly beaten but fully intact piston as a reminder. - Blamed my wife for the entire ordeal.

I still have my stock motor sitting on a stand in my shop and my new Sand Cast Block with the EFR Turbo so far has been Mitch Proof!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• i honestly am not sure how many horses are under my hood. I would say that the stable is overflowing with horsepower.

You could estimate it at 150 stock hp. Plus 20 hp per pound should be a fair guess. So 150hp plus 20psi for a total of 400hp for a grand total of 550hp when pushed. I have bumped it up to 24psi and it ran perfectly. Of course that is with a 50/50 mix of 93 and 110 fuel. It should be good up to 28psi im guessing as long as i feed it the good fuel. With pump gas i dont have a reason to push boost above 16psi. So normally I keep it dialed back around that number....

To get above 400 or 450 which seems to be where most kit style systems run out you will absolutely need a larger fuel pump and 85 to100lb injectors and lots of tuning. I know with 85lb injectors I was pushing 97% duty cycle. So i had to move up on everything to get my duty cycle down to 83%

• I like the idea of new panels that I can buy separately and install on my sling. That being said once a change is made over time your older body panels become a bit more unique/rare. Take the fenders many have said they prefer the look of the 15-16 version.

Regarding front wheel drive. There was an article published by Polaris (in the owner magazine} which gave some history to how the slingshot came to be. In the article it said that Polaris had tried front wheel drive first but with the single wheel in the back it didn't handle worth crap. They ended asking fabricators to come up with an alternate design which is what they went with.

• Lighter, more powerful engine would be on my list. My wife's Hyundai Sonata Limited has a 2.0L turbocharged engine making 245 HP / 260 ftlb torque, and gets over 30mph on the highway. It is quite quick and does 0-60 in under 8 sec - In a Slingshot, it would be an amazing engine. Has anyone done an engine swap in a SS for a newer generation turbocharged engine?

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Lighter, more powerful engine would be on my list. My wife's Hyundai Sonata Limited has a 2.0L turbocharged engine making 245 HP / 260 ftlb torque, and gets over 30mph on the highway. It is quite quick and does 0-60 in under 8 sec - In a Slingshot, it would be an amazing engine. Has anyone done an engine swap in a SS for a newer generation turbocharged engine?

The factory turbo on the 2.0L will not clear the frame rail on the Slingshot, also it has direct injection instead of port injection. You could make up a custom wiring harness and ECM to make it work, but it would be a lot easier and cheaper to just buy a supercharger or turbo kit for the 2.4L. There is not a significant weight difference between the 2.0L and 2.4L. The 2.0L would actually be slightly heavier.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• Agreed, There are already dozens of vehicles out there that already can be had with "automotive" standards of comfort, (including their added regulation.) Where Polaris hit the nail right on the head when they designed and marketed the SlingShot for the uniqueness, and fun, of a motorcycle alternative! :thumbsup:

Bill

Amen

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• In 2020 I will like for Polaris to punish their bad employees by making them come and work for me so I can spend more time riding.8o

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!