Side bags / Wife doesn't like 'em but they will do...

• Wife doesn’t like ‘em but they will do…..

Have a trip coming up and needed more space without a huge out of pocket. I REALLY like the
    Corbin side bags and perhaps some day when I hit the lottery.

Soooo I got a pair of Nelson-Rigg 900’s for about a 100 bucks, cut off everything except the handles, and made two brackets out of aluminum stock,used stainless allen head bolts and aircraft lock washers to attach. I used the
    two attachment bolts under the side panels for attachment points. Set the bracket length to be 3/4" outside
    of the side panel so no rubbing. The bracket alone had a slight flex to it so I put a strut standoff ( Lamphus offroad bar clamp adoption 1.5” rubber insert ) on the frame to hold the bracket steady and not “work” the attachment bolts. I replaced the stock bolts with larger washer type bolts for a better surface grab. All in all they will come off after the trip but I think they are not all that bad and will give us the needed space we want/need. Did a road test and so far so good!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Great idea and I don't think they look bad at all, but I do have to ask, Why didnt you just get the meansling bags?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Great idea and I don't think they look bad at all, but I do have to ask, Why didnt you just get the meansling bags?

Considered it but not a fan of having anything on top as the visibility is everything but gone and just personal preference of not liking that area cluttered up... Just me..

• @SoCal, there are others that would disagree with me I'm certain. I bought the Corbin bags for mine the day I bought my Slingshot. While it did change the look from the rear, it was my only regret with my Slingshot. I can't put enough emphasis on that last sentence. I sold them at the end of my first summer having the SS, and was glad to get rid of them. They rattled, leaked, lids wouldn't stay shut. I had blemishes show up in the black part of the bags, like blisters. The fender cracked where it mounts at the rear to the bags. The bags are overpriced, low quality, at least IMHO.

For what the bags cost, I could have done most of the other mods I've done to mine. For about the same $$$, you can have a different bag set up, a rear fender, CAI, Header, CAT delete pipe, Bob's custom tune, a Meansling top, custom steering wheel/shifter/DDMWorks short shifter.... and a set of quality shocks. If you shop around for the parts when they are on sale, likely enough left over for a weekend trip that's paid for.....

• Considered it but not a fan of having anything on top as the visibility is everything but gone and just personal preference of not liking that area cluttered up... Just me..

okay - that makes sense, the visibility does suck :thumbup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Wife doesn’t like ‘em but they will do…..

That right there should end this idea and move you forward unto something else.

The last thing you want is to do anything to the sling the wife doesn't like, if she doesn't like it she won't ride it and if she doesn't ride it she will mind you spending money on it...... dangerous area my brother.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Already can't see behind me, so bags on @SlingLow racks doesn't affect my vision, but I don't like anything in my blind spots. But IMHO the install looks nice and clean.

I kind of mirror this sentiment. To me, it's not like I can rotate my head around and look back through the hoops, so visibility behind my head isn't a concern. I have also removed the rear view mirror because it is basically less than useless. I just run with the two side mirrors, so the MeanSling bags were a natural fit for me.

On your mod, I think the bag set-up looks just fine. Job well done.

• That right there should end this idea and move you forward unto something else.
    The last thing you want is to do anything to the sling the wife doesn't like, if she doesn't like it she won't ride it and if she doesn't ride it she will mind you spending money on it...... dangerous area my brother.

Agree. Very dangerous area. Avoid having a wife at all costs... :thumbsup:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Ok quick reply to the "wife issue" She gets to bring more Sh*t with her so it's all good! I am actually close to
    the MeanSling bags and do like them because of the way they mount on the bars with no issues so ...Perhaps.

These WILL come off on the return so not that BIG of an issue... ^^

• @SoCal, there are others that would disagree with me I'm certain. I bought the Corbin bags for mine the day I bought my Slingshot. While it did change the look from the rear, it was my only regret with my Slingshot. I can't put enough emphasis on that last sentence. I sold them at the end of my first summer having the SS, and was glad to get rid of them. They rattled, leaked, lids wouldn't stay shut. I had blemishes show up in the black part of the bags, like blisters. The fender cracked where it mounts at the rear to the bags. The bags are overpriced, low quality, at least IMHO.

For what the bags cost, I could have done most of the other mods I've done to mine. For about the same $$$, you can have a different bag set up, a rear fender, CAI, Header, CAT delete pipe, Bob's custom tune, a Meansling top, custom steering wheel/shifter/DDMWorks short shifter.... and a set of quality shocks. If you shop around for the parts when they are on sale, likely enough left over for a weekend trip that's paid for.....

Wow!! Great ( but scary ) review! Thanks for that. I just love the look and lines of the SS and I have to admit went for the cosmetic issue first. But at the end of the day I may still get some sort of top bags as we are about to do a Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion, & Vegas trip. Gunna be fun either way!

I had made my mind up that I wanted to try the slingshade top and the Corbin bags,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until I attended a function where I got to meet several SS owners. I happen to mention that I was about to order the top and bags and was quickly educated upon how "low quality" and "overpriced" the are and to add insult to injury their customer service for this item SUCKED! Needless to say I thanked my SS brothers and sisters and followed their advise by NOT placing the order for the bags. Hopefully at some point in the future another manufacture will do a set of hard bags for the SS that are worth what they cost and add to the aesthetics instead of the headaches!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Man! how is it that one can be so disappointed and yet so grateful at the same time?!

Grateful to Ghost and Goats_hogs for the heads up on this. Actually the "wife" issue was that she wanted
    hard bags ( go for it Tripod ) and a color match - as Ghost said, perhaps someone will come up with
    a set that flow with the lines, are excellent quality, at a reasonable cost.... Slingmods are you listening?

• I got the SS luggage before MeanSling started selling their bags. I really like both, but have the SS luggage so I will use them. If I were getting new today, I'd consider the MeanSling bags with @SlingLow 's racks. I like the racks but don't need them with my current setup. At least you aren't out anything like the Corbin, and either have as much if not more storage as the Corbin does.