Not Going To Riding For A While

• Holy!

Shoot me a call or a text when you have time. Do you need help with anything?

That is a bummer, but most important is that you are good and can post about it.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Having driven across a patch of diesel fuel in the past it sounds like the same experience, minus impacting anything. A light coat of diesel on the road is worse than ice.
    It would be tracked off the road by other vehicles except in the middle where the rear tire rides.

• glad to hear you are ok. That's one hell of a ride.

For me, when that rear breaks loose, it is stones or sand that are the culprits.

If it was mechanical, well that is someone else's territory to speculate on.

• That's what the imagines show, which is why I am suspicious that there wasn't a mechanical problem. Here's some video.

https://youtu.be/XUDTwZitoPc

First thing I wanna say is wow that's gotta be a scary ride. I'm glad you made it "safely" without much injury or worse to your self or other cars hitting you in the process.

2nd I'm calling dibs on the shocks.

RNJ12

What hurts more is I just had them installed a few months ago. Hardly 1,000 miles on them.

Do you have stock or replacement tires.

Fronts are original. Rear is new, Nitto 555.

glad your are ok .... any police report filed? Did insurance say if they would be investigating

Police report filed and insurance will just pay out. No investigation on their side. I'm hoping the #1 SS service guy in the region will plug in and see if any codes were thrown.

Could you guess when the front wheel came off? I would take an educated guess that the front wheel was the problem. How many miles did you put on the bike after all that work was done to it. Sorry so many questions but it's informative to me.

RNJ12

Front wheel came off when I hit the tree based on the "evidence".

• Having driven across a patch of diesel fuel in the past it sounds like the same experience, minus impacting anything. A light coat of diesel on the road is worse than ice.
    It would be tracked off the road by other vehicles except in the middle where the rear tire rides.

I am glad that you are ok I have had the same thing that @Red is talking about happen.

• Our stability control has something to do with individual wheel speed. Does that mean it can change the wheel speed with the brakes?

Flipr at this point it effects all of us. Especially since the road appears dry.

The only thing that could cause the back wheel to break loose is water, oil, or gravel.

Without that I’m going with a mechanical failure.

I don’t know if the rear wheel sensor could cause this or the different traction/stability system components. Or a combination of them.
    The best thing that could happen at this point is it threw a code To point them somewhere.
    Did you notice any difference in the sound of the engine speed wise.

• Very sorry to hear of this, hurts a bit just to look at all the damage. I can't say for sure, not even sure if I were following you I'd know what caused it. I do know that it doesn't take much on the road to adversely affect traction. Sand, slight dew (especially if no rain for a long time like you said before, because of the oil that has accumulated over time on the road from vehicles), Diesel fuel, antifreeze, the list goes on and on. I ran across some of the pink antifreeze on my Harley, thinking it was just water. It was down to the crash bars on it's side before I knew what had happened. I was able to get it back upright, but it was an eye opening experience.

Just glad you are OK, and the Sling can be fixed or replaced.

• Glad your ok, might be hard to have a bowel movement for a bit with the puckering that caused. Hopefully you figure out what caused it so others can learn, next time might not be as pleasant. Hopefully the insurance will work with you and you will be riding soon

• My speed sensor was acting up while I was in ES. When I would make a right hand turn the speedo would show my speed dropping even though I was not really dropping (like 20-30 mile/hr drop). This would trigger my stability controls which thought I was in a slide and it would step on the gas for me even though my foot was on the brake or moving from brake to gas. made for some very scary moments. You might want to have them check the speed sensor in the rear wheel. If that was malfunctioning that could have caused the problem.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• My speed sensor was acting up while I was in ES. When I would make a right hand turn the speedo would show my speed dropping even though I was not really dropping (like 20-30 mile/hr drop). This would trigger my stability controls which thought I was in a slide and it would step on the gas for me even though my foot was on the brake or moving from brake to gas. made for some very scary moments. You might want to have them check the speed sensor in the rear wheel. If that was malfunctioning that could have caused the problem.

This is my current worry!

But I suppose I like to live dangerously... :/

My ESP light has been on and I just rode the Hill Country curves the other day, but was white-knuckled for most of it... As I just learned from the other forum through a Google search (apparently an old issue I wasn't aware of):

Guess I won't be riding it anymore until I visit a dealer in 2 weeks! 8|

• ^ Agree.

This light comes on and off on my machine all of the time at the track, as I switch traction control off and leave the stability control on. When you push hard on corners, you will feel the brakes pulse engage to "protect" you from spinning around. I will see if I can cut a video of this and post.

Overall, it works really well in keeping you pointed in the right direction. It is weird experience when it is working, as it doesn't feel very natural.

If the system isn't working correctly, I can see it being a complete nightmare!

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

Edited once, last by TravAZ ().