How To: Group Ride

• After leading the Posse to Maggie Valley and then pulling up the rear on ES rides. I think being in the back is soooo much better!!

In group ride where everyone has bike to bike communications the 'tail gunner' actually controls the group. I've been on both end lots of times and the tail gunner (aka police bait) best spot....

• Hey @Ross Loved your rule #6 no rider left behind, . we do a lot of snowmobiling up here in Ontario and especially trails in Northern Ontario can go for an hour or two without even seeing civilization or another group, so its especially important for us to follow that rule . Breaking down or crashing on a dark trail in -25 weather can be no fun when you happen to be the last sledder and the cement heads out front are to stupid to stick to that rule. I know, laying against the base of a tree with a sled on your back for over 40 minutes is no fun, fortunately I was one of the cement heads that night and when we finally stopped five miles down the trail , then waited ten minutes for him to catch up then suddenly realizing how stupid we were we headed back , luckily my brother was only banged up and not in critical condition so we all got an earfull when we finally rescued him. Since then we all stick to that rule religiously and it absolutely works well, not only in accident situations but as you mentioned , just in slowing down the pac if a few get too carried away. We always ride at night cause the added luxury of headlights busting through the trees in front of you is so many times a lifesaver AS THE GROOMED TRAILS ARE ONLY TYPICALLY EIGHT FT WIDE and trying to ride them through the tree laden twisties at high speed in the day time is just suicidal ! and for that matter most trail groomers only run at night too because their flashing lights can be seen coming through the trees at night and they too can see headlights usually in advance in enough time to get everyone stopped. And of course it helps with rule 6 at night as you can go like hell through twisties etc and only have to catch a glimpse of a headlight in your mirrors to know its ok to continue at breakneck speeds ! Its a damn good rule and everybody can benefit from it .

• Just a thought but since most of us use GPS there are programs that can create routes and be shared.
    @av8ingtom just introduced me to a program from Garmin called BASE CAMP free download with some great options. You can even choose "curvy roads" as an option. the route can be uploaded to your GPS. I think there is a way to save the file to be used on other GPS models as well. Not sure about phones but I think you can do something similar in Google Maps...I know then there are those old farts with flip phones

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Just a thought but since most of us use GPS there are programs that can create routes and be shared.
    @av8ingtom just introduced me to a program from Garmin called BASE CAMP free download with some great options. You can even choose "curvy roads" as an option. the route can be uploaded to your GPS. I think there is a way to save the file to be used on other GPS models as well. Not sure about phones but I think you can do something similar in Google Maps...I know then there are those old farts with flip phones

The GPS is the way to go. On a lot of the twisties in the mountains there is no phone signal.
    I find it best to make crib notes the old fashioned way and pass them out.

• The GPS is the way to go. On a lot of the twisties in the mountains there is no phone signal.I find it best to make crib notes the old fashioned way and pass them out.

And I thought I was just catching up to you, but you were slowing down to read your crib notes ?(

• @WingShot, My ride lead duties are very important to me, so I made sure to follow the crib notes that were ceeated to ensure safety.
    I have taken the time to increase the size of the image @Ross posted so everyone would understand and your tired eyes could read. If you need to, click on the image so you can see it more clearly.

• @WingShot, My ride lead duties are very important to me, so I made sure to follow the crib notes that were ceeated to ensure safety.
    I have taken the time to increase the size of the image @Ross posted so everyone would understand and your tired eyes could read. If you need to, click on the image so you can see it more clearly.

Didn't keep my notes but did make them for the ride I lead down to Magic Mts. I always paper maps and notes and use the GPS for real time --- not for taking me there...REALLY OLD SCHOOL.

• I realize I am digging up an older thread but I have been doing some looking around for a dependable intercom system and headsets (without helmets) that will work with bike to bike communications as well. What I have found so far looks like it will come from the aviation industry. While they are not cheap some of them aren't too bad.

My question is what type of communicator do most folks use for bike to bike?

Knowing that a lot of you came from GoldWings and Harleys which have radio and intercom systems built in I would expect that especially for the group rides you have communications????

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• @TR Ganey, I haven't done a lot of group rides, but I think there's a lot more deviation in the individual gear between Slingshot riders than, say, a pack of Goldwings. Some wear helmets, others don't, some wear headsets, others don't....I think it would be hard to find common ground. And since there are no intercoms built in, I think people tend to spend their money elsewhere on mods. Also, most of the headsets are only good for a few hundred feet, and the rides I've done, the Slings tend to stretch out a bit more than that from start to finish. Maybe because we're not riding side by side, maybe because guys hang back a bit and then romp the gas so they has get the "Whsssh" of the SC or turbo, who knows. Just my observations.

• @TR Ganey, I haven't done a lot of group rides, but I think there's a lot more deviation in the individual gear between Slingshot riders than, say, a pack of Goldwings. Some wear helmets, others don't, some wear headsets, others don't....I think it would be hard to find common ground. And since there are no intercoms built in, I think people tend to spend their money elsewhere on mods. Also, most of the headsets are only good for a few hundred feet, and the rides I've done, the Slings tend to stretch out a bit more than that from start to finish. Maybe because we're not riding side by side, maybe because guys hang back a bit and then romp the gas so they has get the "Whsssh" of the SC or turbo, who knows. Just my observations.

@KayTwo Having been one who spent 20 years on Gold Wings I do believe you observation is good one. For a long time the mid to upper end of the Gold Wing line came with a build in CB radio. And for the most part when doing group ride that was how the group rides were lead. Worked very well. Slingshot riders are coming from a very wide back ground and some will do the communications and others not.

• I have ridden with groups for many years. Some of them small and some of them large. In my experience it was always better when we had communications. Most important of course was for the ride leader and the tail gunner to be able to communicate.

I understand the part about the money, believe me I do! To add to the issue is the fact that there are as many ways to go about it as there are people almost!

Over the years we have toyed around with everything from regular C.B. to Zello to Ham Radio to the GMRS type radios.

In our experience Zello is a great tool but because cell signals are so unpredictable Zello is not a reliable choice.

Ham Radio while very reliable is not a good choice because everyone don't want to go through the effort to get licensed.

GMRS is also not a great choice because if you follow the letter of the law they are too restrictive and I don't see the aftermarket offering a lot of equipment that would fit our needs.

That leaves us with the old tried and true C.B. radio. While it does have it's draw backs truth is that it does do a decent job for the $$ spent. Even with the proliferation of cell phones it is also still the most widely used form of vehicle to vehicle communications on the highway. I suppose that is why Goldwing and Harley have offered them from the factory for so long.

The key is to make it work for all the various setups you mentioned like those who do and do not wear a helmet etc. Some folks (and I'll include myself in this group) don't have any intention of wearing a helmet. Those folks could either use the radio by it's self with an external speaker or use it through a headset. If they are like us and they are use to having intercom then the headset would be the most reliable as you would be able to hear the radio over any ambient noise like wind or exhaust. Another plus to this set up is that you can also listen to your music through the headset and the music can be automatically muted when the C.B. becomes active.

For the folks that always use helmets the headset in the helmet is the obvious choice.

I also understand that there are those that do NOT want to communicate with their passenger or anyone else while they are ridding. They just want to enjoy the wind, music, exhaust ect and don't want anything interfering with that. Some of those folks also don't want anything to do with ridding in a group. jes sayin

While we don't always want to be in a group we have learned over the years that the fun of ridding is more enjoyable (and safer) when shared among friends.

In the coming months I will see what I can come up with for a reasonably economical but reliable system for bike to bike communications as well as working with an intercom. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I like this thread, a lot of useful info. I, being a new rider, would love to get with more experienced drivers to learn all the nuances of aggressively driving my SS. I would feel bad if I could not keep up with a group and ruined the ride. I was never a peg dragger on my Harley because I usually had the speed control on behind me and would get a helmet slap when I made her feel uncomfortable. Good thing about the SS is it is a longer reach and I will see it coming.

• @exharleyrider have you joined our local FB group ? Scott Riley owner of Sport Rider Inc host at least 2 track days per season, they are usually held at DCTC so that's fairly close to you, sometimes at BIR , that plus all other local events are posted on FB.

The sessions are pretty laid back and everyone rides at their own pace and in case you have never been to DCTC it is a technical track so perfect for learning how to safely push the slingshot and plenty of room in case you eat a turn and go off track.

last year price was $100 per sling for like ~5hrs.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• @TR Ganey I have several sets of Sena headsets. Your welcome to borrow any of them. I have the full face versions and the open face versions and even a set that wraps around your neck . U can't beat the Sena for ease of use and close range dependability. I have other brands also but these are the best. Just let me know and I'll round them up and you can give them a try.

• I like this thread, a lot of useful info. I, being a new rider, would love to get with more experienced drivers to learn all the nuances of aggressively driving my SS. I would feel bad if I could not keep up with a group and ruined the ride. I was never a peg dragger on my Harley because I usually had the speed control on behind me and would get a helmet slap when I made her feel uncomfortable. Good thing about the SS is it is a longer reach and I will see it coming.

I can't speak for everyone but I'm an old slow man. I will only ride as fast as I feel comfortable and it's doesn't bother me to ease over and wave someone around that I feel like I may be holding back. For us it's all about having an enjoyable time. By some folks standards I would be considered an aggressive rider for my age and by others I would be considered dead weight and in the way. To each their own and I will do my best to stay out of the way, and I'll see everyone at the next fuel stop. LOL

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868