New soon to be owner

• Hi. I've been reading the forum for a few days and just signed up.

I live in the NYC suburb area. I was driving to work crawling along in traffic (rare in NYC...) and saw this woman texting and slinging at 15mph. I had never seen or heard of one before. She looked like Batman meets Oprah and had the biggest smile on her face! Had to google what it was. Then I saw another one the next day. Test drove one 2 days later last Saturday. Took off to Hong Kong that night for a 2 week work trip.

Thought about it. Liked it. Wondered if it was crazy to get. Put it to a Facebook vote. About 50 yes' and one no. The one no drives a Buick. He doesn't count. Got stuck in my hotel in a severe Typhoon and woke up in the middle of the night jet lagged and negotiated pricing through phone / email with several dealers. Put down a deposit on a navy Blue SL at 3am. Combined with severe jet lag, maybe not the best time to make big ticket purchase decisions.

Woke up the next day and didn't cancel the order. I've never driven a motorcycle and am scared and super excited at the same time!

I come home Thursday late night. If all goes to plan, permit test Friday morning, Slingshot pickup late Friday morning, and maybe certified motorcycle classes starting that night through the Labor Day weekend to get the test waived and licensed (I'm picking it up in CT where it's an auto cycle so no license. NJ same rule. Damn NY!)

Can't wait to get a feel for it and have some fun. I only have two weeks before I go on vacation. Then it starts gettting chilly. I'll get a bit of use out of it. Maybe spend the winter tinkering with it.

Any tips I need to know?

Also, not sure if this forum is locked down for access overseas. Kept getting access is denied. Found a work around so I can keep reading all the awesome mods people did.

Thanks for the welcome !

• You will love your SS. My story is similar (tho not as exotic) as yours. I live in Nova Scotia, and am a Florida snowbird for 6 months. Was at Daytona Bike Week in Mar 2016. Looked around the Harley display as usual (had a FLHTP), then wandered to the Polaris display (have a RZR) to see what was new. My wife saw the Slingshots. We checked them out thoroughly. Went home to our Fl place. Decided we should have a Slingshot. Called our Polaris dealer back home in Canada. Negotiated. Sent a deposit. Picked it up two months later when we got home to Nova Scotia. Already had a motorcycle license so I drove it home. 2016 Base. Glad I got the base - gave me extra $$$ for adding stuff.
    You will not regret your decision!!

• You will love your SS. My story is similar (tho not as exotic) as yours. I live in Nova Scotia, and am a Florida snowbird for 6 months. Was at Daytona Bike Week in Mar 2016. Looked around the Harley display as usual (had a FLHTP), then wandered to the Polaris display (have a RZR) to see what was new. My wife saw the Slingshots. We checked them out thoroughly. Went home to our Fl place. Decided we should have a Slingshot. Called our Polaris dealer back home in Canada. Negotiated. Sent a deposit. Picked it up two months later when we got home to Nova Scotia. Already had a motorcycle license so I drove it home. 2016 Base. Glad I got the base - gave me extra $$$ for adding stuff.
    You will not regret your decision!
    -------

Cool! Thanks. Yeah I toyed with the idea of the base or waiting a few weeks for the 2018. I travel a lot and don't necessarily want to tinker with it all the time. Just have fun. I got a few grand off the sticker price so it left me some room to play later.

• If i was buying one right now I would def go for the 2018 ones, they are allegedly better put together and have a whisper quiet angle drive

Another plus is that the new screen on the infotainment can be seen in full bright sunlight, say what you will about the price but I am yet to see any aftermarket that can do that let alone be waterproof while doing so.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Just up the limit on your charge card. Ride Safe and Watch Out For the Other Driver

• If i was buying one right now I would def go for the 2018 ones, they are allegedly better put together and have a whisper quiet angle drive

Another plus is that the new screen on the infotainment can be seen in full bright sunlight, say what you will about the price but I am yet to see any aftermarket that can do that let alone be waterproof while doing so.

out of curiosity: the pricing I saw was sticker plus a delivery fee of $1050. What do most people end up paying ?

If I did wait for the new one, wondering how much more I'd be paying thanks.

• out of curiosity: the pricing I saw was sticker plus a delivery fee of $1050. What do most people end up paying ?
    If I did wait for the new one, wondering how much more I'd be paying thanks.

If you just look around you will not have to pay any add on's. Just tax and tags. There was one person that ended up paying a $ 5,000 mark up. There are even a few dealers that may make a deal below list price.

• Welcome @Locapacow to the insanity!

1. Don't pay more than sticker! Many will sell below if you can travel a bit.

2. Best advise: Stay on and read this Forum's threads. Learn to use the "Search" function as most of your present and future questions are already answered here.

3. All of the "Heavy Hitters" are here. Knowledge abounds and the talent is limitless.

4. Make Slingshot friends. Contribute to the "Family" here. Post pictures ( or it didn't happen!) of your mods, places you go, family and friends.

5. Be prepared to spend a lot of money on mods as it is an uncurable disease!

• welcome @Locapacow
    Congratulations, I am guessing you are somewhere in China I know they had some typhoons over the weekend and I have trouble accessing the forum when I am there as well.

Travel safe

I am in Hong Kong now. Next week all around China. I'll get close within 2 hours driving of North Korea. I'll tell Kim you said hello. I hear he's a SS fan. 8o

• I am in Hong Kong now. Next week all around China. I'll get close within 2 hours driving of North Korea. I'll tell Kim you said hello. I hear he's a SS fan. 8o

I will be in early China September, I am there about ever 6 weeks.
    Do me a favor give Kim a FORD - he doesn't deserve a slingshot
    Travel Safe
    zài jiàn

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• This Craigslist ad requires some travel (SE of Minneapolis), but seems to offer decent discounts with advertised prices starting at $17K. Even with a large delivery charge (which isn't necessary), that's still a good savings.
    New Polaris Slingshots starting at only $16,999! - atvs, utvs, snowmobiles - by dealer - vehicle automotive sale Don't know which models/colors they have, though. If you like to mod, I'd recommend going with the Base model and using the money saved for mods, although the 2018 Infotainment system seems to be an improvement over the earlier Infotainment system.

I bought back in Summer 2015 when the Slingshots were finally just being released in Texas and local dealers were charging delivery and setup fees as high as$2-3K and some even wanted a non-refundable deposit. I used Polaris' website to solicit out-the-door prices from several local and not so local dealers and settled on a dealer just over 100 miles away who wanted list price and less than $700 delivery/prep and they threw in a free windshield. I ended up paying just over $22K out-the-door. MUCH cheaper than my nearby dealers.

• This Craigslist ad requires some travel (SE of Minneapolis), but seems to offer decent discounts with advertised prices starting at $17K. Even with a large delivery charge (which isn't necessary), that's still a good savings.
    New Polaris Slingshots starting at only $16,999! - atvs, utvs, snowmobiles - by dealer - vehicle automotive sale Don't know which models/colors they have, though. If you like to mod, I'd recommend going with the Base model and using the money saved for mods, although the 2018 Infotainment system seems to be an improvement over the earlier Infotainment system.

I bought back in Summer 2015 when the Slingshots were finally just being released in Texas and local dealers were charging delivery and setup fees as high as$2-3K and some even wanted a non-refundable deposit. I used Polaris' website to solicit out-the-door prices from several local and not so local dealers and settled on a dealer just over 100 miles away who wanted list price and less than $700 delivery/prep and they threw in a free windshield. I ended up paying just over $22K out-the-door. MUCH cheaper than my nearby dealers.

Thanks. That's an S. The SL is $20,499. The S's seem to going for an even bigger discount since the 2018 S MSRP is being lowered $2K. But this brings me to an interesting decision. I'll start a new thread.