angle drive just shit the bed

• I believe most will not rebuild the swingarm themselves, they will pay someone for the service. Rebuilding is not an improvement and once owners find out the real cost(labor and parts) of rebuilding, they will soon realize that an upgrade is not really that much when it comes to reliability.

• Yes. One was our turbo kit one was DDM's Sc kit. Looking at the unit the casting is not the best. Im guessing their are just bad ones and good ones. The V8's we do with the angle drive makes 400 lbs of TQ and it's not destroying it.

Bad casting? Hmm... Seems like the swingarm...

New recall? Hmm... :whistling:

• Well couldn't have asked for a faster turn around dropped if sling yesterday afteroon once I got the call about the angle drive being in. I should have my sling back this afternoon. Definitely great response on down time for dealer everything took a week from warranty approval to install.

• It would be a tough decision for me but given the fact that both the angle drive and swingarm present potential issues in the future a 4-wheel conversion may be the best bet for the vehicle long term unless better replacement options hit the street.

• So just another little update slings running great and this new angle drive is a lot more quiet. Belt needs to be adjusted getting a little squeak when starting to roll away .also wanted to post something I saw at dealer thought it was funny . His warranty claim was first denied by Polaris they claimed driver error not faulty angle drive . Dealer did eventually get him an angle drive some how

• Beginning to think custom D44s with spools are in order.
    Thinking about it and it wouldn't be that hard....

Got me thinking

Custom axle would be needed.....

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

Got me thinking

do that and you would be crowned king, the angle drive is the only things that doesn't have a "reasonable" replacement in the sling.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

Got me thinking

I've considered that too. If I could get the CAD models for both and merge them, I'd have access to build everything for a finished housing. We don't do gears and internals here, but it's a start. My angle drive is rather loud, but has worked fine. I have 5 new (this year) Slings around me, and all the angle drives in them are rather quiet. Maybe they got the issue fixed, or maybe they just got good ones. Seems like 5 random and all are quiet (relatively) that odds are Polaris may have found the issues and fixed it. Still, there are at least 20,000 with the older set up out there.....

• Yuck. Another unhappy story.

I was down (mostly) for two months last fall in prime riding season, due to a failed angle drive. Sounded like I had no wheels and was being dragged.

Replacement was no quieter than the original. Took two months to get the part, and I remember that the list price, before labor, was $1750.

Sometimes, I hate my sling. Other times, I am glad I got the extended warranty. Sometimes, I think about trading in for a newer sling, but then I realize that most of my parts are newer replacements.

• Sorry @Goats_Hogs, mine is a 17 and after 2800 miles just getting noisier. Even put in Royal Purple like I did with the 15. Hasn't helped. Just got it out of the shop for a loud clicking noise in back under power. Tech hears it too. He loosened belt and helped some but everyone still hears it. Polaris says it is normal driveline noise but my first one didn't have it, my wife's doesn't have it, and I haven't heard it in any others. Tech said he has a case number and I told him I would drive it hard and see what happens. He believes I'll be back for a repair.

• @dangerdarrell that's honestly how mine started it was clicking and I thought it was a dirty belt or or maybe to tight. So I went to change oil in angle drive which was very clean but a lot of junk on the oil plug . Changed to purple royal since I was there and about a few days later clicking started getting worst like you said only could hear it under load. Then it just exploded.

• Sorry @Goats_Hogs, mine is a 17 and after 2800 miles just getting noisier. Even put in Royal Purple like I did with the 15. Hasn't helped. Just got it out of the shop for a loud clicking noise in back under power. Tech hears it too. He loosened belt and helped some but everyone still hears it. Polaris says it is normal driveline noise but my first one didn't have it, my wife's doesn't have it, and I haven't heard it in any others. Tech said he has a case number and I told him I would drive it hard and see what happens. He believes I'll be back for a repair.

I hate to hear that. I was really hoping that the noise, at least the worst of it, was found and fixed. Maybe those local to me were just lucky. I tell you the truth, it was so quiet in the one I drove, I would have bought a new angle drive out of pocket to put in mine if I knew it would be like theirs.

Sorry you are having these issues. I mean, I hate for anyone to have bad luck with one, but especially a friend. Hopefully the problem will be found and fixed quickly.

I don't want to jinx myself, but I think I got one assembled Tues-Thurs. I've had the recalls from Polaris, like all of us. I'm pushing 22k on mine, and it's really be pretty rock solid and reliable. I am very proactive on maintenance and watching for problems though. I don't baby mine, I run it pretty hard at times. Other times, I just cruise in it, or run out on the highway. But even when I run it hard, I don't abuse it. There is a line there, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I just hope that I keep having good luck with it.

• OK. Spent an hour under the SS to find out where the sound is coming from. Seems it is the output side of the diff. As I twist the drive shaft back and forth I can distinctly hear the noise on the belt drive side.

Tried to upload a video but it seems 20 sec from an iPhone is too large. :( This is a YouTube link. Hopefully it will work.
    Find it hard to believe this is normal drive line noise.