Noise from Rear Tire - Cyclic Rubbing or Crunching (with Video)

• 2015 SL 5k miles

This is a video showing the EXACT noise/issue that I am experiencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKf8Htlm-IE

Really hoping to find someone that can say "I know what that is, I had the same issue, this is the problem and this is the solution"... etc etc. The posts that I have been able to find do not provide a clear answer.

This noise started 2 days ago. It rained while I was driving then I sprayed it down with the garden hose afterwards.

I washed my belt and I have applied dry lube to the belt. No change.

E-brake seems to work fine but the pad does look to be extremely close to the disc (no visible clearance) but I am being told that is normal.

Thanks!

• Has the Swing arm recall been done on your Slingshot? If you do not know you can go to the Polaris Slingshot web site and check if it has been done. There is a location on the site to put your vin number in and check. It sounds like the needle bearing is bad. It would be good for you to add your location, their maybe someone close by that can help you out. Also, how many miles are on your Sling. I have around 90,000 miles on Sling I since the recall was done with no problems but with the original bearings we were only getting 10,000 miles or less on the needle bearing. If you are mechanically inclined it is not a big problem to pull the axle and check the needle bearing. There was also a recall on the axle nut. The original was a single nut which was replaced by two thinner nuts. Let us know what you find, it will help someone else

• I still carry a spare set of bearings for the swing arm, you cannot count on the dealer to have them when they go out and you are 500 miles away from home. The first set that I know went out was in Maggie Valley in 2015 the couple were from New Jersey. It took 6 months for the dealer in Waynesville, N.C. to get replacements. I think I paid $190 for both bearings, good insurance.

• Watching this because I'm wondering if I have something going on too. Not the same sounds tho' - I don't have the dreaded "click" of a bad bearing.

But every time I get off the throttle, I can hear a low "wuurr" coming from back there. Belt was just replaced a couple months ago and I've cleaned this new belt too and tension looked good. I saw that it is riding on the tire side of the sprocket too. I did notice that I had a "slow" point when I turned the tire, sort of like a warped rotor hitting a brake pad, but I dunno if that's related. My plan is to go over the SS with a fine tooth comb on Sat, lube everything and change all the fluids again before heading to Huntsville. I'm going to drive the SS the 800 miles - no RV or trailer.

• Watching this because I'm wondering if I have something going on too. Not the same sounds tho' - I don't have the dreaded "click" of a bad bearing.

But every time I get off the throttle, I can hear a low "wuurr" coming from back there. Belt was just replaced a couple months ago and I've cleaned this new belt too and tension looked good. I saw that it is riding on the tire side of the sprocket too. I did notice that I had a "slow" point when I turned the tire, sort of like a warped rotor hitting a brake pad, but I dunno if that's related. My plan is to go over the SS with a fine tooth comb on Sat, lube everything and change all the fluids again before heading to Huntsville. I'm going to drive the SS the 800 miles - no RV or trailer.

You can do it! Just watch the weather.

Keep Three Wheels Down

• On a side note... How bad/difficult is the axle and/or sprocket bearings to change? Any special tools? I am trying to decide if I should do it before or after Homecoming trip

You will need an inside bearing puller for the needle bearing race and a 250 lb. torque wrench to torque the nut/nut's to install the nuts back on. A 41 mm or a 1 3/4 inch socket for which ever nut you have on the axle. The only bearing that you will probably need is the needle bearing and the race, which are sold separately. If needed Polaris will over night (you pay shipping) if they have the parts in stock to the dealer.

• Just to check the needle bearing all you have to do is pull the wheel , take the axle nut off and the pully. The needle bearing itself will almost fall out. If all the bearings are still in the housing just regrease and put everything back together. If the bearing is good all of this should take you about 30 minutes. If the needle bearing is bad the needles will fall out in your hand.

• Just to check the needle bearing all you have to do is pull the wheel , take the axle nut off and the pully. The needle bearing itself will almost fall out. If all the bearings are still in the housing just regrease and put everything back together. If the bearing is good all of this should take you about 30 minutes. If the needle bearing is bad the needles will fall out in your hand.

I don't own an internal bearing puller. While doing a search, there are lots of them out there. Any chance of a part number of you that you found works well? Thanks for all of the input

2016.5 Pearl White SL LE

• Well, F Me! Was doing maintenance on the SS before Huntsville. Had the rear tire up in the air, no engine, no stereo.....

And heard the dreaded "click click click" of the bearing. When I changed the angle drive oil (4th time, 15k miles on this oil, 26K miles total), there was a mountain of crude on the magnet. And when I was underneath lubing the axle u-joint, I could hear the "click click click" from the front one too.

Checked and Autozone does not have the inner bearing puller. So waiting for a call back from the dealer. F! Me!

• I have two different pullers but I have not pulled the needle bearing race. Polaris did the recall before I had to. In the beginning when we were having the problems with the 2015, I was pulling the axle and greasing the both bearings every 5,000 miles. I ended up getting 16,000 miles out of the original, but my friend only got 6,000 miles before the needle bearing came apart.

• Can anyone tell me FOR SURE if it's really the bearings? I checked online and found the 3 bearings and race ($230! ouch) but don't want to order it that's not it. Without an inner bearing puller, I don't want to disassemble the SS if that's not it because I may never get it back together.

I called a mechanic friend to see if he could do it for me - waiting for the call back.