Shocked by the shocks!

• I'm considering giving up my JRIs triple, $1900 set for the new DDM option...

Thoughts? I don't track and just ride for pleasure and every once in a while drive it like I stole it, spinning the rear and donuts and drifts...

And yes Jared, sometimes concrete barriers are involved... nerd-squared

If you have a good set of JRI and are happy with the ride leave them be!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I'm considering giving up my JRIs triple, $1900 set for the new DDM option...

Thoughts? I don't track and just ride for pleasure and every once in a while drive it like I stole it, spinning the rear and donuts and drifts...

Why would you want to do that if it is about the color of your springs you can get those powder coated for like $100.

If there is something wrong with them then just have them rebuild for 150- 200, doesn't matter how you slice the pie keeping what you have is what makes the most sense.

You have the Cadillac of coilovers so why get rid of them and go for a Ford focus

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Always wondered how important the color of the shock body and coils we're for people purchasing?

I say keep it simple and neutral and let the consumer change the color if desired. Color matching can be taken to extremes sometimes.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Thanks @Neosolidus and @MACAWS... I figured that, but damn if @Ruptured Duck isn't right about that color matching... If only the springs were neutral and just black...

Doesn't hurt to ask... Powdercoating is the most sensible thing to do, but finding the time and ability (considering I don't have a garage and my Sling is left in a parking lot currently) is what makes that tough... Guess I'll wait and the rear shock cover has helped for now... Can't really see the see the springs on the front wheels unless you're really looking or I pop the hood...

And since these have been on since I purchased, I don't know what anything else feels/rides like... But going over rail road tracks doesn't feel bad at all... :thumbup:

• @MiM I have a set of stock shocks that you can put on while your others are being taken care of. They have white springs..... Just putting that out there.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• So @Drew71646 kinda a Caddy ride on the freeway but control in the corners?

While I haven't done any extensive Track running, I noticed a significant difference in the handling in the corners when doing the hill climb at SSITR last year. I can honestly say I felt way more confident in the handling than I did the year previous with the Stock shocks. (Not on a hill climb, but just handling in general)

And yeah, the comfort on the highways is what you notice the most.

• @MiM I have a set of stock shocks that you can put on while your others are being taken care of. They have white springs..... Just putting that out there.

Thanks Rob! I think I have a set I received from Henry in storage... Again, just about time to find them over/under all the other things (a filled 8x10 unit with furniture, boxes, etc)... :S

And then time to do the swaps... I do not get too much time away from the girls and my wife doesn't appreciate having all 3 just so I can work on a project... Especially one that will require spending more money... ;(:00008172:

• While I haven't done any extensive Track running, I noticed a significant difference in the handling in the corners when doing the hill climb at SSITR last year. I can honestly say I felt way more confident in the handling than I did the year previous with the Stock shocks. (Not on a hill climb, but just handling in general)
    And yeah, the comfort on the highways is what you notice the most.

Thank you @'MBMedic AND all the others out there putting in their two cents! I am getting closer. Have a trip coming up and been doing mods for the past two months to get ready and another grand is not in the cards now with all the other stuff. (did I say get ready... I meant to say justify $ to the wife :P she hasn't said a peep - gosh I love this girl!)

But here is my Scottish blood coming out again... It amazes me how if you shop around for some parts you can get them at sane prices opposed to on some SS sites where they want stupid dollars for the same thing. Tires are a great example. Just asking... Are the JRI shocks in this category? Are they SPECIFIC TO THE SS, if so, then fine, - open the wallet and enjoy the ride - I get it, but is this one of those Items where, like tires, another shock off the shelf, say for a car for example is the same thing at much less? My education curve is a steep one thanks to you all... ?(

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Are the JRI shocks in this category? Are they SPECIFIC TO THE SS,

Yes ...... they have been built, tuned, and tested specifically for the Slingshot ... they are not just generic off the shelf shocks with springs figured for the Slingshots weight as are the others .....

However all the aftermarket offerings have been shown to be better than stock ....

....... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Yes ...... they have been built, tuned, and tested specifically for the Slingshot ... they are not just generic off the shelf shocks with springs figured for the Slingshots weight as are the others .....

....... ninja-squared

I would hope this is the case. The Slingshot weighs much less than most cars and I would suspect that even if you found shocks that would fit the springs would be way to stiff

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I don't track and just ride for pleasure and every once in a while drive it like I stole it, spinning the rear and donuts and drifts...

What makes you think I had any sort of smart assed repartee to come back with?

And then time to do the swaps... I do not get too much time away from the girls and my wife doesn't appreciate having all 3 just so I can work on a project...

Dude, it takes like 20 minutes...even you should be able to have it done in, say, 4 hrs. Just tell her, "Look, I'm going out for a few hours to do man things. You just hang here with the kids like mommies do." It'll be all right, I promise.

:00008172::00008172::POKESS:

• And one may want to keep in mind where I believe that manufacturers are recommending overhauling the adjustable shocks every two years at the rate of approximately $200 per shock?

Bill

hm... wrong, it is 50 a shock plus 50 for shipping or 200 all around and you can usually get free shipping or discounted if you deal with the manufacturer directly.

Also you don't actually have to get them rebuilt every 2 years, you can wait until they leak or develop a problem which will be a LONG time on something like the SS.

One of my daily drivers has had coil overs since the day after i took it out of the dealer and almost 5 years later they are as good as they were on day one with no rebuild.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Thanks, this is the information that I received a year ago:

"Alpha/JRi shocks are 100% rebuild-able. We are at most shows to and if a rebuild is needed we can do them on site. We recommend that they are serviced every 2 years. Service includes complete disassembly inspection and new seals and oil. Service rebuild is $200. But if their is a bad seal etc. We stand behind the shocks and will have them warrantied. "

The price has dramatically dropped since I checked into it last time, is it the manufacturer that is doing overhauls at $50 each?

Bill