Slingshot engine options

• Today I was at a Slingshot dealer today and the Polaris rep showed up.
    We started talking and its mentioned that GM will not be producing the 2.4 anymore so Polaris will have to come up with a new engine.

Polaris showed off a turbo slingshot, so it's believed they will be engineering their own engine with a turbo.

Has anybody else heard anything about this? Probably for 2020 model

John
    2017 SL LE Midnight Cherry
    :COILOVERSS::TURBOSS::MOTOROILSS::FILTERSS::COLDAIRSS::DONKEYSS:

• As @Tripod noted it's an older subject that has been noted. As to what they are going to use we are still a little in the dark.

Most are a little concerned that it might be an in-house design.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• My guess right now is that there will be 2 engine options from Polaris when they switch to the next generation, with the base versions getting naturally aspirated engines and the SLR,etc getting a turbo option. A naturally aspirated 2L engine and maybe a 2L turbo based off of their Prostar 952cc engine currently in production. If you use the same bore and stroke of that engine and change it from a 2 cylinder to a 4 cylinder you end up with just under 2L displacement making roughly the same power that the 2.4L currently makes in the Slingshot now. Polaris also might take their Prostar turbo engine in production now and could turn that into a 3 cylinder and make around 250hp or they could once again add 2 cylinders to it and run lower boost and get around 300hp. The other option might be to install just the Prostar turbo engine in a base slingshot in its current form, which makes 168hp which is close to the 2.4L, but with the turbo it would have more midrange torque than the 2.4L and actually drive very similar to the current setup. Plus that engine has been out for a while now and should have most of the kinks figured out or at least being worked on at this point. Also, since it is in production already there is no extra cost associated with development of a new engine just for the Slingshot and also they can possibly drop their cost on the engine with the higher production numbers that including it on the Slingshot would do. I am guessing that it will not be a completely new engine just for the Slingshot as that is a lot of design work and risk for relatively low production numbers. Just guesses, but I am sure it will be interesting and looking forward to see what they come up with and some new toys to play with!

• Does Honda or Toyota have some stock engine options that would work?

I doubt they would use a Bombardier engine as they are direct competitors but my Sea Doos have a 3 cylinder turbo charged intercooled engine that generates 260 hp and runs something like 8,000 RPM at WOT.

I suspect @Dave@DDMWorks is probably in line with the thinking.

• I Talked to a Chevy Mech I know and he said the 2.4 engine is not going anywhere Soon ! It's one of Chevy's most popular engine for there smaller cars !! We'll see what happens !

As mentioned awhile back to me (I realize you are new here and Welcome!), the 2.4 in our Slingshots are nothing like the 2.4 GM currently is using in many vehicles. The GM 2.4 that is current is direct injection, where ours is the much different fuel rail system. GM hasn't been using the Slingshot engine for some time now.

So the current 2.4 GM uses may not be going anywhere, but that's not what we have. The older version, which we do have may be going away.

I doubt they would use a Bombardier engine as they are direct competitors but my Sea Doos have a 3 cylinder turbo charged intercooled engine that generates 260 hp and runs something like 8,000 RPM at WOT.

Just out of curiosity, do you think it would affect Polaris sales if they admitted to having a Honda/Toyota engine?

• Just out of curiosity, do you think it would affect Polaris sales if they admitted to having a Honda/Toyota engine?

I personally would be more interested in buying a Slingshot with a Honda or a Toyota engine vs an engine from Polaris. As a consumer, I already have a perception or expectation for a Honda or Toyata engine. Knowing it had a new or recently engineered Polaris motor would make me evaluate more closely.

enter @StickerDick

New Honda engine option coming !

• I agree a Rotax or Bombardier would be sweet. But as stated earlier, they are direct competitors... so doubtful. I'm getting quite happy with the honda motor as I learn more about how to deal with the quirks, and It's going to be a Great lil motor that will be a BIG surprise to alot of folks come december 4th and then in Janurary when the great white and I run for "pinks" in Ocala! :P;):D?(

• My guess right now is that there will be 2 engine options from Polaris when they switch to the next generation, with the base versions getting naturally aspirated engines and the SLR,etc getting a turbo option. A naturally aspirated 2L engine and maybe a 2L turbo based off of their Prostar 952cc engine currently in production. If you use the same bore and stroke of that engine and change it from a 2 cylinder to a 4 cylinder you end up with just under 2L displacement making roughly the same power that the 2.4L currently makes in the Slingshot now. Polaris also might take their Prostar turbo engine in production now and could turn that into a 3 cylinder and make around 250hp or they could once again add 2 cylinders to it and run lower boost and get around 300hp. The other option might be to install just the Prostar turbo engine in a base slingshot in its current form, which makes 168hp which is close to the 2.4L, but with the turbo it would have more midrange torque than the 2.4L and actually drive very similar to the current setup. Plus that engine has been out for a while now and should have most of the kinks figured out or at least being worked on at this point. Also, since it is in production already there is no extra cost associated with development of a new engine just for the Slingshot and also they can possibly drop their cost on the engine with the higher production numbers that including it on the Slingshot would do. I am guessing that it will not be a completely new engine just for the Slingshot as that is a lot of design work and risk for relatively low production numbers. Just guesses, but I am sure it will be interesting and looking forward to see what they come up with and some new toys to play with!

God I hope not !
    My personal opinion on it all is a polaris engine can only hurt Slingshot sales overall . The Slingshot is a whole new vehicle in its entirety and Scott Wine (POLARIS C.E.O.) even proudly mentioned in his third quarter address to Shareholders this past month, the Slingshot has opened an entire new market for them, that is something of a major accomplishment for any manufacturer these days . While others struggle to compete for market share in their beleaguered categories, Polaris had the foresight to create an entirely new category and dominate it ! they are not just struggling for their share of this marketplace , they own it, number one all the way!

My point is, some of us who made the decision to enter into this new category of motorized vehicle did so because we thought the Slingshot was worthy of the investment, and I as others, determined that by the process of elimination. Didn't want another ATV , Had lots , still got one, didn't want another UTV, been there done that. But what intrigued me about the Slingshot was the G.M. drivetrain and the fact that it was a complete stand alone new category, street legal roadster, whether Motorcycle, or sports car It was intriguing!

And to say I would have been as intrigued had it originally sported a Prostar ? Sorry wouldn't have happened. That vehicle I would have viewed as a UTV on steroids and half amputated, interesting but not interested , thank you.

The Slingshot is definitely not, just another ATV or UTV , and to start marketing them with a UTV engine at this time could only hinder future sales .
    Just my honest opinion, for what its worth.