COILOVER preference

• I also bought before the kits came out. The list below shows all the parts and prices from almost four years ago so the pricing is low. The shocks on the list have polyurethane bushings that rabtech wore out in very little time. Mine are still holding though. I'm not sure what the difference is between the DS and US models.

Order Details:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quantity: 2

Item: Eibach 12" Coil-Over Spring - 2-1/2" I.D. - 250 lb.

(EIB1200-250-0250)

Unit Price: $54.87

Total Price: $109.74

Quantity: 1

Item: Eibach 14" Coil-Over Spring - 2-1/2" I.D. - 350 lb.

(EIB1400-250-0350)

Unit Price: $54.87

Total Price: $54.87

Item: QA1 Spanner Wrench - Fits FC - 21 - 24 - 50 - 57 - 60 - 62 - 64

- 65 - 67 and 68 Series Shocks (QA1T114W)

Unit Price: $18.87

Total Price: $18.87

Quantity: 2

Item: QA1 Ultra Ride Coil-Over Shock - Adjustable (QA1US502)

Unit Price: $149.87

Total Price: $299.74

Item: QA1 Ultra Ride Coil-Over Shock - Adjustable (QA1US602)

Unit Price: $149.87

Total Price: $149.87

subtotal: $633.09

shipping: $39.61

total: $672.70

• Thanks for the parts listing! Yeah, prices have now increased, but Amazon puts it at $715.19 now, still cheaper than the kits available. I'm really thinking about this. . . . .

• Thanks for the parts listing! Yeah, prices have now increased, but Amazon puts it at $715.19 now, still cheaper than the kits available. I'm really thinking about this. . . . .

The last three digits on the spring number is the weight rating. I started with 350 on that back, but now have a 300 and like the ride better.

• I thought about building me a kit, but will hold off for now, but here are the links from Amazon to help out others:

QA1 US602 need Qty 1

QA1 US502 need Qty 2

Eibach 1200-250-0250 need Qty 2

Eibach 1400-250-0350 need Qty 1

QA1 T114W Tool Optional if you don't have one already

The Eibach 1200-250-0250 for the fronts show only 1 in stock right now, but that will likely change. You can click on Used and New link and pick other sellers and get it ordered, maybe at a slightly different price. My cart came out to $717.03 today.

Since the front Eibach showed in stock of only one, and I kinda wanted a different color, I looked around at other brands and found Southwest Speed 12" Long 2/12" ID 250lb spring for $49.99. Getting two of those insteach of the Eibach fronts will put at around $664, if you don't mind the different colors. I couldn't find another rear spring, but didn't search really hard.

Hope this helps out for people on a budget like me.

• 2W2X1 has an option for building your shocks for less money. I'm thinking it is Viking but am not 100% Sure. What say you Joey?

That is true. Viking makes a set of coil overs and springs that fit the SS. They are considered triple adjustable and last I checked these could be had for around $800 delivered.

I never went that route though but know a few others that have and really seem to like them.

Im bagged baby! #pssssssshhhhhhttt

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• TruHart Sport Shocks

I dont know if they are any good, but at $612 these are by far the least expensive coil overs for the Slingshot I have seen

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• A lot of great insight as usual here. Can we talk about Springs? Are some or all of these products available with different spring tensions/ compression? Can you order one spring over another? And if so opinions on what may be ideal given the weight of the vehicle. I see some coil overs with the spring from top to bottom and others only 2/3 of the length. Thoughts?

I'm 175 and wife don't ride. 200 lb springs on the front, 350 on back but I should change out to 300 on back for a better ride.

• TruHart Sport Shocks

I dont know if they are any good, but at $612 these are by far the least expensive coil overs for the Slingshot I have seen

Yeah, I saw those too. But again, no reviews leave me wondering. I did notice that it said at full extension it will be "near stock height". Dunno if that means slightly over or under, but it did allow for a 2.5" drop. That tells me that it's probably a little short. As it is, I already scrape every time I come out of the drive way.

I was going to the Houston GTG tomorrow so I thought I would see if anyone there had a special on something. I don't need all the adjust ability either. I know I would probably set them to stock height and leave them (read drive way again).

Unless someone want's to help me put in some air bags. . . . . (for cheap - Not doing $4000 to be bagged - although I admit his ride was REALLY KEWL!).

Im bagged baby! #pssssssshhhhhhttt

• Now that we are so far into the slingshot lifecycle and we have so many coilovers designed specifically for the slingshot that it makes no sense to use generic automotive shocks(QA-1), as far as I remember those those QA-1 are valved for an expected weight of 2400-3000 lbs which is way over the way of the slingshot.

Think of it this way if you are a 34 waist but wear a 40 waist pants and just use a belt to hold them on, sure they will be on and cover nakeness but they are not optimal.

DDM has ver inexpensive slingshot specific coilovers(twintube design though) which will be more than enough for 95%of riders out there.

There are people ( MACAWS is one if I remember right) who have switched from QA-1 and have noticed the difference between a coilovers designed for the slingshot (DDM)vs a generic off the shelf(QA-1).

Although I don't know if the difference is enough to switch once you have a set already but if you are a new buyer going from OEM then there is no reason not to get an slingshot specific coilovers.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Granted, the QA-1 are generic, but the cost difference is considerable. DDM is $999 and we've priced out a do it yourself kit using QA-1 at around $670... 33% difference there.

While I'd love to buy out everything that DDM has to offer, I don't have the budget for that, and I have to choose which mods I put on at any given time. An extra $330 buys me another mod or two or allows me another road trip.

• Granted, the QA-1 are generic, but the cost difference is considerable. DDM is $999 and we've priced out a do it yourself kit using QA-1 at around $670... 33% difference there.

While I'd love to buy out everything that DDM has to offer, I don't have the budget for that, and I have to choose which mods I put on at any given time. An extra $330 buys me another mod or two or allows me another road trip.

My question has always been: Are the vendors actually making shocks or are they simply finding off the shelf aftermarket that work? I'm running QA1 shocks I bought online for a lot less than the vendor. They work much better than stock.

• My question has always been: Are the vendors actually making shocks or are they simply finding off the shelf aftermarket that work? I'm running QA1 shocks I bought online for a lot less than the vendor. They work much better than stock.

Well DDM, JRI, Bilstein and Ohnlins(other might be but don't know) are specifically valved for the slingshot.

Here is a dyno that was run live on maggie valley and recorded by Alpha comparing JRI vs QA-1.

As the saying goes talk is cheap but numbers don't lie.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• This is just my experience, when a manufacturer shows a "test" comparing their product being superior to a competitor, I usually find that deeper research probably is required to get to the complete "truth", (The first thing I noted on this video that makes me a bit suspicious is the name on the testing apparatus??)

Bill

• I changed to adjustable shocks for comfort and the ability to stiffen them up for twisties. In not sure how dyno numbers relate to comfort or handling? Besides unless all the knob combinations were tested I'm not sure how you determine a winner, unless you know which one you want to win.:/

Definitely appreciate you wanting to get everything from us, thanks for that :)

There is a lot of discussion in this thread about pricing of the different coilover options out there, but just want to make sure everyone understands that there are big differences between comparing a single adjustable (spring perch adjustment for pre-load) twin tube shock (the QA1 shock in the price above) to a 3 way adjustable (spring pre-load, compression and rebound adjustable) mono-tube shock setup. The low cost QA1 shocks that are being priced are a single adjustable, poly mount that require a 1/2" bolt for mounting, which means that the upper and lower mount have to be drilled out, since the stock bolt is a 10mm. Pretty easy to do, but not plug and play and some people are not comfortable with that. They do work pretty well though and better than stock and are a good option, but a double or triple adjustable shock setup is definitely going to be a higher price. If the adjustability is not a concern though, and off the shelf valving is acceptable, than they are a good option for the price.

When picking the "best" shocks for your particular setup, obviously each person has to define what "best" means. Is that simply the cheapest? Most adjustability? Best damping? or sometimes does it just come in the color that you want.

The best thing is going to be to start with a budget in mind of what you want to spend, then look in that range to see what will have the best damping, adjustability, options and support. Obviously there are going to be trade-offs at any price point and not everyone needs the 3-way Ohlins that we offer at $3195, that really have no trade-offs except for price ;).

Hope that helps, if there are specific questions about any of the coilovers, let me know, we have driven everything out there.

Dave

• Okay, I have a noob question. Knowing my darling - "Don't replace it if it isn't worn out yet!" - how long do the OEM shocks last?

In other words, how many miles / months should I have before I would consider replacing them anyway? I know most passenger cars will go 30-50 K before needing shocks/struts, but then I drive Ruby quite a bit more aggressively than I do my SUV.

Any info will help!

Thanks!

I’d put a mileage on stock vehicle shocks at 20,000.....do the fender bounce test...

• There is a lot of discussion in this thread about pricing of the different coilover options out there, but just want to make sure everyone understands that there are big differences between comparing a single adjustable (spring perch adjustment for pre-load) twin tube shock (the QA1 shock in the price above) to a 3 way adjustable (spring pre-load, compression and rebound adjustable) mono-tube shock setup. The low cost QA1 shocks that are being priced are a single adjustable, poly mount that require a 1/2" bolt for mounting, which means that the upper and lower mount have to be drilled out, since the stock bolt is a 10mm. Pretty easy to do, but not plug and play and some people are not comfortable with that. They do work pretty well though and better than stock and are a good option, but a double or triple adjustable shock setup is definitely going to be a higher price. If the adjustability is not a concern though, and off the shelf valving is acceptable, than they are a good option for the price.

The QA-1s I listed are called single adjustable, but it's not referring to the spring preload. It has the single knob for adjusting damping. The bushing size is 1/2", but the spacers from the stock shocks fit right in. No mod is required.

• The QA-1s I listed are called single adjustable, but it's not referring to the spring preload. It has the single knob for adjusting damping. The bushing size is 1/2", but the spacers from the stock shocks fit right in. No mod is required.

Very cool, I was mistaken, I thought those were the ones that were just spring height adjustable, didn't realize they were doing rebound adjustment. Anyone know right off if those are the ones that HAHN and Twist are using? I always thought they were using the DS series that are adjustable and do compression and rebound control with the single knob.

Hadn't seen anyone press out the insert in the stock shocks poly bushings and insert them into the QA1's either, all the ones that have come in here had the mounts drilled out and larger 1/2" bolts for mounting, definitely good to know, thanks!