Anyone have any info on anything new for the 2020 Slingshot?

• Hate to bust bubbles, but.. to be profitable, the Slingshot would have to sell like snowcones on a hot August day in El Paso, Texas before multiple injectio molding tools would replace current molds. The Slingshot sales reported do not justify or allow the additional production costs.

As far as front wheel drive goes... :thumbdown:

I agree that would negatively impact driving dynamics. The rear end is lighter, allowing drivers to break loose, have a little fun, it would also change the stability to have the heaviest portion of the vehicle pulling the lightest portion... G forces are also substantially more when pushed from behind rather than pulled from the front.

I think an automatic option would do exactly what the Slingshot needs... an enlarged pool of consumers. :thumbup:

BUT!

Will they advertise it??!!

We still pull into places and people say, "What is it? Who makes it?"

Its been out 4 years now, and still... its not even CLOSE to sufficiently advertised.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• My wish list would be (exterior cosmetic/aerodynamic improvements aside):

SLINGSHOT GEN 2 — Standard/Newly Optional Equipment*

-Lighter yet more powerful engine — 1.8-2.0L turbo with, say, 200HP/225 ft. lbs. torque

-Better brakes stock (late-model SSs may not have this issue)

-Keyless start — same starter button, only RFI

-Passenger seat fore & aft adjustment & heated seats* optional

-Higher-quality head end unit and speakers

-Improved cockpit

-Automatic available*

• Quote from Goats_Hogs
    Harvey ( Bu11sh1t ) toured the plant a few weeks ago. Not sure the person that was giving his an extended tour knew for certain.... but he told him that there would be NO automatic from Polaris on the showroom floor in the near future, if ever. It added too much weight and the Slingshot is already close to the limit.

Im not able to confirm or deny this information Harvey recieved unfortunately, however - information about up and coming units are extremely hush hush and exclusive to the team members building them. The individuals engineering and designing, or working the shopfloor are not giving the guided tours.

Should have asked for this individuals definition of near future is... tomorrow is the near future... j/s

The way it was said, I believe it was a reference to not this up coming year, and not on the books at this point. I'm sure they would love to put on in it to increase the range of buyers. However, they have reduced the weight where they can, and still are within a few pounds of what is allowed. An automatic will add a couple hundred pounds, that would have to be made up somewhere else. Unless they can adapt a lighter automatic to the current engine, it just won't be an option from them. With sales being what they are currently, unless they do develop another engine that's lighter that can be coupled to something else, I just don't see it.

Then again, they could adapt the RZR drivetrain to it (I'm not a buyer, but someone would be)…….

• What is this weight limit some are talking about...??

The Vanderhall has an Auto, heat Front wheel drive 4 cylinder engine And still is considered a M/C...The Stallion with auto, heat and air 4 cylinder still a M/C....??

The Vanderhall weighs in at 1450 lb.....Gross 1950 lb...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• If you think the stock brakes are not good enough you need to put the Hawk 5.0 pads on your SS. They will give you all the brakes you need unless you are really pushing the limits

• What is the real weight difference between an automatic and the manual?

Yesterday I was reading the specs on the Lotus Evora 400, Lotus is known for their light weight cars so I was curious as to how much they weighed. Anyway the listed weight with the car with automatic is 1,407 kg and for the manual its 1,395 kg - - assuming that all of the difference is attributable to the transmission that is a 12 kg weight increase to have an automatic or roughly 26 1/2 pounds

this is clearly 2 totally different transmissions than whats in the Slingshot but if the increase could be kept to 30 pounds or less it might be doable - the real question would be how much $$ would be involved

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• The only automatic transmission that I could be interested in having on a SS would be a really performance oriented DCT. On most motorcycles, take Honda’s African Twin for example, there’s about a 23 pound difference between the DCT and manual. However from doing a little searching it appears that the difference in weight for a four cylinder engine is about 100 lbs.

• Have I mentioned lately that.......Automatics kick ass.... I don't know what my slingshot weighs with the automatic. All I can tell you is that it's always in the correct gear and it never gives me any problems. AND it shifts so fast that you can't tell it has shifted.

A while back I weighed it and can't remember if it was an automatic when I weighed it.

8)8)8)

Just listen to how fast it shifts from 1st to 2nd in these two videos. I don't think a DCT is much, if any, faster than that....

• Wow, nice ride! What automatic transmission do you have in yours? That’s pretty awesome. I’m past my big performance days though. I’m just looking for a little jolt and maybe some tire chirp if I want to ride aggressively. That’s why I enjoy the stick. But without question the automatics, properly built, are quicker.

• Wow, nice ride! What automatic transmission do you have in yours? That’s pretty awesome. I’m past my big performance days though. I’m just looking for a little jolt and maybe some tire chirp if I want to ride aggressively. That’s why I enjoy the stick. But without question the automatics, properly built, are quicker.

@rabtech's probably on his 2nd or 3rd built engine (all DDM Works) and is running in the 450-500+ HP range. His Auto trans was also done by DDM Works.

• Polaris missed the boat by not making the S/S Auto and front wheel drive like the car the engine was taken from...And a heater like they have on some of their Side-Bys...

Think about it.... With Front wheel drive you don't have a belt and the Rube Goldberg angle drive with all the noise and traction problems......And with a little heat and front drive they will have more sales in the colder climates....

It all comes down to weight to meet the motorcycle classification.....but they could sell heaters and such as available after market options.

Would front wheel drive add any more HP to the vehicle? Surely some is lost in the driveshaft to angledrive to belt transition.

The black hood accents kinda remind me of the popular racing strips of the 60-70s muscle cars...

• In addition to performance upgrades already mentioned (auto, turbo, engine), I would think a partial redesign of some of the body panels is in order. Even iconic brands like Corvette and Mustang change every few years to freshen and modernize the look over time. It's a way to attract new buyers and repeat buyers who want a update in looks and performance without going to a completely different vehicle.

The SS is still so new in the looks department....2014 ....as evidenced every time people stop and stare when I go by...as far as I’m concerned the unique iconic look is it’s biggest selling point. I’m not in favor of changing it. I think it would ruin it. Hey I’ve been wrong before....

There are still a majority of people have never seen one.....that said I really don’t pay any attention to 2 wheelers anymore....haven’t for years...and I’ve been riding since 1972...I’m not even that concerned about cars or trucks.....

It’s kinda like a baseball or football.....you can change the colors but you can’t change the shape...

• In addition to performance upgrades already mentioned (auto, turbo, engine), I would think a partial redesign of some of the body panels is in order. Even iconic brands like Corvette and Mustang change every few years to freshen and modernize the look over time. It's a way to attract new buyers and repeat buyers who want a update in looks and performance without going to a completely different vehicle.

But if you’ve noticed....they all want to get that first model nostalgic look back....RETRO baby.....I don’t know if they feel they went to far away from the original lines that made the car famous or popular in the first place. Everyone is doing it.....and look at how the popularity of the original muscle cars has skyrocketed.....Back to the roots....

• [quote='funinthesun','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/7463-anyone-have-any-info-on-anything-new-for-the-2020-slingshot/&postID=260584#post260584']

Rabtech is more correctly in the 800- horsepower range with his DDM built engine after his Alpha engine crapped out on him

[/quote]

I don’t think Alpha ever built his engine, but Rab did install an Alpha kit when he dumped the Hahn system.
    I would say it’s lucky to break 600 HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• But if you’ve noticed....they all want to get that first model nostalgic look back....RETRO baby.....I don’t know if they feel they went to far away from the original lines that made the car famous or popular in the first place. Everyone is doing it.....and look at how the popularity of the original muscle cars has skyrocketed.....Back to the roots....

I agree with you on this. Any changes are designed to update and upgrade the look, but are obviously a move away from what made a vehicle popular in the 1st place. The changes are usually subtle in order to maintain the character of the vehicle. Some times they nail it and sometimes the manufacturers just blow it. And then there are times where they do a total redesign and keep the name to try to attract buyers (Mustang II - give me a break!). If the brand lasts long enough, like Corvette's 66 years, the originals always gain value and appeal. Give me $70k and it would be a tough call between a '67, 427, 4-speed, removable hardtop 'vette (my high-school dream car) and a 2019, but there are 2 decades - 80's and 90's - that I wouldn't touch. Hint: the 1st $70k would probably buy the C7 for the drivability over collector value. Sex appeal is strong for me in both!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)