Tires...what are you running?

• Have a feeling this tire will make my Sling's rear end look big!

1063257-title_fatbroad.jpg

;)

There is actually a story behind this where when Justina and I got a look at the first SlingShot that came out from the factory with the larger rear tire, (2017 SLR?), when we got around to the back and saw that rear tire, both of us looked up at each other and said "Fat Broad!"

(I apologize for not being "politically correct" if this offends anybody)

Bill

• Update on my experience with purchasing the Achilles ATR Sport 2 305/30ZR18 and trying to get it mounted on the Circuit Performance CP32 18x10.5 wheel - The tire and wheel were both delivered within a few days. I ordered the wheel from NextLevelMotoring (https://www.nlmotoring.com/Cir…Black-p/cp32j805fb-35.htm)

CP32J805FB-35-2T.jpg?1428684663

and the tire thru Amazon from Giga Tires (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AA034OS/).

atr-sport-2-1.png

Yesterday, I took the tire and wheel to a local Pep Boys since Giga Tires listed them as a preferred installer. I sat in my vehicle during the install and balancing process, but could see in my rear-view mirror that the technician was having difficulty getting the tire installed. He finally gave up and said he couldn't get the tire to seal against the rim and they would refund my money. I then took the tire to an independent tire shop who starting removing the tire after they got the bead against the rim but couldn't get the tire to seal. After freeing one side of the tire from the rim, they showed me that part of the rubber covering the cabling inside the tire bead was damaged, so I went back to Pep Boys and showed them the damage to the tire. Naturally, they claimed the damage was not their responsibility and blamed the damage on a manufacturing problem. I did not notice any problems with the tire before I gave it to Pep Boys for the install.

I have contacted Giga Tires via Amazon and told them that Pep Boys feels the problem lies with the manufacturer and requested a replacement tire, although I personally feel the problem lies with Pep Boys, especially after watching the independent tire shop not need to use what looked like screwdrivers or pry-bars, simply using some soapy lube and a large rubber mallet to get the tire to set against the rim. I have also contacted Pep Boys to see what their corporate response will be.

Once I hear back from Giga Tires and/or Pep Boys, I'll provide an update.:(

• Thought I'd add some more pics of the rim and the tire. Keep in mind both were brand spanking new before I provided them to Pep Boys for the failed install.

TireRack had their preferred installers provided also. This is the part of online buying of tires that concerns me. Too much room for finger pointing. Even though my tire shop that I normally go to couldn't come up with a tire that I felt was what I needed for the SS (they did before, but that tire is obsolete now), I know they have experience with these tires and rims. I'll take my chances with them. I've bought 4 sets of tires from them in the past couple years, and they offered to put these on for me (even suggested I buy the ones I got when I mentioned them). I just feel like they are dedicated to customer service and will do this right.

Good luck BKL and I hope this issue can be resolved without too much pain.

• One thing is for certain BKL , it's not on you! I hate the finger pointing but if you paid by credit card (ALWAYS pay by credit card) you can take a hard line and demand satisfaction. Just remind the retailer that you are one phone call away from a charge reversal.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Current status - heard from the Tire Vendor that the damage is not a manufacturing problem and is attributable to the installer, who should not have installed the tire if it was damaged. Pretty much confirms my feelings. The second tire shop couldn't believe the scrapes on a brand new wheel and felt the problems clearly laid with Pep Boys. Unfortunately, I didn't buy the tire from Pep Boys and I haven't heard back from Pep Boys corporate.

If things go the worst way and I end up having to pay for another tire, at least I feel I have found a reliable independent tire shop.

• TireRack had their preferred installers provided also. This is the part of online buying of tires that concerns me. Too much room for finger pointing. Even though my tire shop that I normally go to couldn't come up with a tire that I felt was what I needed for the SS (they did before, but that tire is obsolete now), I know they have experience with these tires and rims. I'll take my chances with them. I've bought 4 sets of tires from them in the past couple years, and they offered to put these on for me (even suggested I buy the ones I got when I mentioned them). I just feel like they are dedicated to customer service and will do this right.

Good luck BKL and I hope this issue can be resolved without too much pain.

Thanks. The only reason I bought online was I wanted to try the Achilles ATR Sport 2 305/30ZR18 tire and I didn't find them on Discount Tire or Discount Tire Direct, the folks I usually use.

• Thanks. The only reason I bought online was I wanted to try the Achilles ATR Sport 2 305/30ZR18 tire and I didn't find them on Discount Tire or Discount Tire Direct, the folks I usually use.

I've found out the hard way, that Discount doesn't always list everything they can get, they have resources to get just about any tire/wheel you want, but you have to call or go visit a salesman.