exhaust fumes in the cabin?

• I see a few post about exhaust fumes in the cabin with aftermarket systems, especially the WP. Last post I found was from April. We have the heat shield but I want to lose the cat and change the tone. I have the V-Back Slingshot Canvas Roof Top and saddle bags if that is an issue. Any updates guys and gals?
    Thanks,

Moccasin

My people skills are just fine; my tolerance for idiots, not so much!

• Welcome aboard @Moccasin ... this has been a topic of discussion for many.... I can't help much - I run the side Alpha system.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• First, welcome, a lot of good people here, excluding me. 8) It seems like all the slings are a little different because of the mods we add. With that said, I have a couple mods and have no issue with fumes. I have the rear exhaust, rear v-wing, wind restrictor and madstad 9" windshield and saddlebags. Not sure what, if any helps, but I know every sling may be set up different. Sorry of it seems like I didn't answer but they all are different.

• @Jeff Welter I think @Moccasin is looking to upgrade from stock. I'm only answering thinking since the person is new they haven't figured out when someone tags them yet. But Moccasin said, "We have the heat shield but I want to lose the cat and change the tone." Makes me think it's still stock and looking to upgrade, but doing research first.

• Have the 1320 headers and WP Stealth ~> yes, there are exhaust fumes... but, it's a happy trade off. Overall, the fumes are not that bad (however, you will smell like you've been racing, if you've been slinging for hours).

Worth every penny IMHO! :thumbup:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• The only way you can run the stealth without the cat is to put add an extension that brings the tip out then turn around 60degrees pointing it towards the side and at that point
    -well - it's not too stealth anymore but you can run cat delete that way. If ordered thru us I can special make this for you.

• @tom and carol there are people that run WP exhaust with no fumes either but get enough of them out there with certain combinations of full windshields roofs etc. it happens. I'm convinced that every exhaust conf will get fumes with a particular combination - it a open cockpit vehicle.
    Bottom line is if you call and let me know what plans you have as far as mods go or what mods you have. I can steer you in the right direction. If you purchased one for us and it does not work for you within 30 days simply put it in the box and return it and I refund your money.

• I see a few post about exhaust fumes in the cabin with aftermarket systems, especially the WP. Last post I found was from April. We have the heat shield but I want to lose the cat and change the tone. I have the V-Back Slingshot Canvas Roof Top and saddle bags if that is an issue. Any updates guys and gals?
    Thanks,

Moccasin

I had tried several exhaust and windshield setups. The large windshields with no break in them, tend to cause a low pressure area behind the windshield which draws higher pressure air from the rear and sides. A top can funnel this even more. A Madstadt windshield has a large open area below which negates this. Another way around it is to cut a vent into windscreen breaking up the pressure. IMO, 2 good options if you're ok on the windshield is the rear Welter systems or the Alpha variable which has excellent sound.
    P.S. I go up to Sebring airport most Wednesday mornings with a group for breakfast, stop by if you're nearby.

Thanks,

Moccasin

I did the cat delete early on and never had a problem with the fumes. I also still used the stock muffler with the cat delete and far as I am concerned it is still the best sounding exhaust out there. That low down growl.

• Anyone running the alpha side exhaust with the 1320 header how is the fumes on that set up. I was in one with a top and it seemed just fine

That set up will work well until you start pushing hard on your future mod. The Alpha can have problems with increased airflow. I went through 2 of them which is a shame because I really liked the side exit. I now have the Welter Stealth with a Madstad, Auto Audio rear spoiler, and RD top. No fumes with the 7 inch windscreen and very slight fumes with the 9 inch.

• First off I would like to thank everybody as I’m completely overwhelmed by the response. I’ve been a member of several forums for years and at best, get one or two responses, if any, to any question I may ask. I always thought It was because I had forgotten to brush my teeth! I will answer as best I can, questions from several of you. I am running the stock exhaust and don’t mind the side exit.The XYL hasn’t expressed any displeasure pertaining to excessive heat as it does have the heat shields, both inside and out. I would like to have a deeper sound so I’ll try the cat delete as Zen Master said. Who has the extension tube for the switch or do I need to have one built? I’m not so much into eye wash as functionality so piping the exhaust out the back it no biggie for me. I noted the “wind deflector” at the top of the windshield in one of the images posted by Mytoy. It is plenty warm here in Sebring Fl in the afternoon and I noticed I can hold my hand at an angle just below the front left corner of the roof and direct air down into the cabin. I have some Lexan on the CNC table at the moment so I will cut a piece about 3x6 or so and put it on a swivel mount for one of the extra mirrors I have. If I like it, I’ll post some images.
    Thanks again guys and Gals.

My people skills are just fine; my tolerance for idiots, not so much!

Edited once, last by Moccasin ().

• First off I would like to thank everybody as I’m completely overwhelmed by the response. I’ve been a member of several forums for years and at best, get one or two responses, if any, to any question I may ask. I always thought It was because I had forgotten to brush my teeth! I will answer as best I can, questions from several of you. I am running the stock exhaust and don’t mind the side exit.The XYL hasn’t expressed any displeasure pertaining to excessive heat as it does have the heat shields, both inside and out. I would like to have a deeper sound so I’ll try the cat delete as Zen Master said. Who has the extension tube for the switch or do I need to have one built? I’m not so much into eye wash as functionality so piping the exhaust out the back it no biggie for me. I noted the “wind deflector” at the top of the windshield in one of the images posted by Mytoy. It is plenty warm here in Sebring Fl in the afternoon and I noticed I can hold my hand at an angle just below the front left corner of the roof and direct air down into the cabin. I have some Lexan on the CNC table at the moment so I will cut a piece about 3x6 or so and put it on a swivel mount for one the extra mirrors I have. If I like it, I’ll post some images.
    Thanks again guys and Gals.

There are enough of them just laying around now with so many people installing exhaust systems and someone just may send you one. Short of that SlingMods has it. You will notice an increase in seat of the pants horse power and also an increase in gas mileage as soon as you do the cat delete.

• @tom and carol there are people that run WP exhaust with no fumes either but get enough of them out there with certain combinations of full windshields roofs etc. it happens. I'm convinced that every exhaust conf will get fumes with a particular combination - it a open cockpit vehicle.
    Bottom line is if you call and let me know what plans you have as far as mods go or what mods you have. I can steer you in the right direction. If you purchased one for us and it does not work for you within 30 days simply put it in the box and return it and I refund your money.

We agree - well said Jeff - i have ridden in a few SlingShots with Welter Exhausts and had no fumes - on our 1st design exit on the drivers side, we had fumes, changed the exit location by a few inches and fumes were gone

looking forward to seeing you again

tom n carol