New member meet and greet

• Welcome @Dknelson these are a great group of guys. a lot of knowledge in the group. we bought a 2017 base model, I have added myself a marine radio, kicker speakers in the roll bars and sides by the seats and a backup camera. Just getting started here and its a head turner. Love every minute of it. Welcome, and hope you can make it to uncorked II in april.

• Welcome @Dknelson! I had a Venture also, waaaaay back in the day. Mine was a 1984, bought it in 1986 and kept it until 1990. Sold it and bought a Harley.... still ride them. Not as much as I used to though, since we got the Slingshot. Enjoy your time here, great folks and tons of knowledge!

• Also hows the handling in corners like the at the Tail of the Dragon? I've driven them locally on test rides but that does no good as far as twisty roads. We've taken cars and bikes up to the Dragon but how does the the three wheel handle compared to the four wheel? Our Genesis coupe and friends GTR handles incredible well in the twisty's but have to make sure the rear end doesn't get too happy on the Genesis. Can the SS rear end get happy with one wheel? Future runners want too know.

I've been across the Dragon at least 8 times in ours. With the stability control and traction control on, it's only limited by the grip of the tires. Back end may get a little drift, but it stays controllable. I played with a Yamaha R1 that had an oversize bore kit on it (can't remember, either 1100 or 1200) one morning on the Dragon. He was one curve behind me, and had leathers, hanging off, actually sliding both tires a tad in the curve. I told my wife to hang on, we were going to play a bit. I pushed it to the limits of my driving, had the smell of rubber and brakes soon after. I had it lightly drifting exiting nearly every curve. After 8-10 curves, I got to the place I could see a line behind me with two sets of curves, but no R1. I drove it this way for about 1/3 of the Dragon, but finally backed off before I ended up over the center line into the oncoming lane. When we got up to the mouth of the Dragon, we stopped, as did the R1 rider. He could not believe that doing his best he couldn't stay with the Slingshot. Granted, if there were a straight section, he would have owned us. But on the curves, they do quite well! This was still on the stock tires (not great by any means) and stock shocks and brakes.

Turn off traction control, and drifting out is not difficult. Personally I would not recommend turning off the stability control. Polaris did a good job with it, making better drivers out of us all. Without it on, the Slingshot feels like you are dancing with a very uncoordinated girl at the ball.....

• Just went and picked it up. I'm glad it was only about 30 minutes away. 36 degrees outside and I about froze before I got home. I can tell you that a taller windshield will be my first purchase. :)

I'll bet that was a cold, cold ride. Welcome and happy b-day.

• Welcome, @Dknelson!

Also, for @Heavenboundx4 and @ThomaSS, a couple of things to think about in response to a couple things you have written.

One, in terms of how hard you can push the machine, I have never taken a four wheeler on the Dragon, but I pushed the Sling through there last fall, as hard as I have ever pushed a machine, certainly way harder than I would have pushed a bike. Lost a little rubber here and there, but never felt unsafe, and more importantly, neither did my wife.

Also, as a counterpoint to the discussion about what model to buy and how much money to lose on mods, I also own a Blue Fire LE. I bought it for the color. At the time, I had no plans to do any custom painting, and it was easier to get the paint that I wanted, right from the factory. Everything else, if I have to mod it, then oh well. Now, I may add some paint to it in the future, but it will still be the Blue Fire base. I didn't want to lose that opportunity. Just another perspective.