This rear tire, too cheap to be good?

• I've actually heard good things about the Achilles tires from some of the import car forums. I have never heard how well they wear or how long they last...but immediate responses seem to be that they are great tires for the price. I know that they were either part of Pirelli or worked with Pirelli for a lot of years...but not sure if that partnership still exists.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• I've actually heard good things about the Achilles tires from some of the import car forums. I have never heard how well they wear or how long they last...but immediate responses seem to be that they are great tires for the price. I know that they were either part of Pirelli or worked with Pirelli for a lot of years...but not sure if that partnership still exists.

I think I'll be the guinea pig and give it a go. I only have 3400 miles on my stock rear, it probably won't last another 1,000. How far are you guys running the rear past the wear bars?

• I've searched the forum for tire recommendations but then came across this for my 2017 base model... Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G…lig_dp_it#customerReviews

Depends on what you are looking for out of the rear tire. That tire has a 400 treadwear rating is going to be relatively harder than the stock Kendas tire which has a treadwear of 300. Typically most of the tires we are running here are in the 200's or less for treadwear as a comparison. The treadwear number does not always specifically mean one tire is more grippy than another, but in general it is a good overall number to use to determine if a tire is going to be "stickier" than another, there are other factors though that do come into play also.

If you are just looking for something that will go on the back and are more concerned about tire life than all out grip, these should be a good option for the price. Tires are always a big tradeoff between - Grip, tire life, price and weather handling.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• I think I'll be the guinea pig and give it a go. I only have 3400 miles on my stock rear, it probably won't last another 1,000. How far are you guys running the rear past the wear bars?

I rate my rear tire by hours of use...

At this point I change oil and rear tire every 3K

It is a trade off for tons of DDM power and a heavy right foot!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• An here I was complaining about the cost of my maintenance and you are changing tires with the oil :)

Do you buy your tires in bulk from Costco?

Its only the rear - and no I am using BFG G Force comp 2 summer - haven't seen them at costco but I will check.

I always have a spare mounted on a rim ready to go

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• As fast as my stock tires wore out, im on my 3rd with under 13,000 miles I’m guessing they are really soft compound. Probably like Goodyear eagles designed to grip the road not last forever.

A softer replacement is probably best to consider. It ain’t always about the money.

• Spoiler - Ihave now tried to Achilles ATR Sport tires and like them so far.

I now have around 48000 miles on my 2015 Slingshot base model. I finally replaced my front Kendas with Nitto Motivos at 36000 miles. I'm now on my 7th rear tire. I got around 10K on the first 2 rear Kendas, around 7K with a Sumitomo HTR Z III and around 9K from a Nankang NS-20. After installing my Hahn Stage 2 turbo kit, I tried a Nitto 555 G2 315/35ZR17 tire on an American Muscle Mustang Cobra style 17x10.5" wheel and got 11000 miles form it when I tried an Achilles ATR Sport 275/35R18 for few thousand miles before trying an Achilles ATR Sport 2 305/30R18 tire on a Circuit Performance CP32 18x10.5" wheel I bought on clearance for just over $100 shipped. I now have around 1000 miles on the ATR Sport 2 305/30 tire and can say I like the traction performance of both Achilles tires, especially when the low cost is factored in. I still have several thousand more miles left on the Nitto 555 G2, but may stick with the Achilles after I have some more miles on it to see how well it will last. So far, though, I expect to get enough miles from it to favor it over the Nitto 555 G2 since it was less than half the cost of the Nitto.

I tend to look for a tire/wheel that gives me the widest tire I can get with decent traction and life for the lowest impact on my wallet. I'd also add that I ended up buying 2 of the Achilles ATR Sport 2 305/30R18 tires. Pep Boys failed to get the tire properly mounted so it would seat and seal against the rim and refunded my fee. I then went to an independent tire shop who found the tire had a rip in the bead. Having watched the PD tech, I remembered seeing him using what looked like a long-handled screwdriver while trying to get the tire to seat. I watched the kid at the independent tire shop while he worked on the tire and am sure he did nothing to damage the tire. The independent tire shop felt PB was at fault, as did the Amazon Tire seller Giga Tires. Naturally, the Pep Boys manager denied any responsibility for the tire damage. I have a claim filed with the Pep Boys national office, but I'm not overly optimistic. I thought about trying small claims court, but the filing fee would be almost as much as the tire cost and since it would come down to my word against theirs, I'm reluctant to take on the cost/risk since I may not win. I took the second tire to the independent tire shop and they had problems getting the tire to seat/seal against the wheel and eventually used a wide ratchet strap to force the tire to seat and seal against the wheel.

One other thing to keep in mind si availability. I first heard about the Achilles 305/30R18 tire in 018, but they seemed to sell out quickly and weren't available for a while. If I decide to stick with Achilles tires, I may just order a spare at the same time since I typically have to replace my rear tire at least once per year.

One comment about the American Muscle Mustang wheel and the CP32 wheels - The AM wheel is a 28 mm offset wheel that centers the wheel just over 1" to the left. The CP32 wheel is a 35 mm offset which still shifts the center of the wheel just under 7/8" to the left. I have not noticed any handling problems from the incorrect offset shifting the center of the tire/wheel to the left.

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• I rate my rear tire by hours of use...

At this point I change oil and rear tire every 3K

It is a trade off for tons of DDM power and a heavy right foot!

My foot not quite so heavy --- Nitto 555 G2 little over a year and 25,000 miles on rear with 2.5 years on fronts Nitto 555 47,000 miles. I do change oil about every 3,000 miles.

• But I bet you have a big smile on your face!

Do you think the bead/sidewalls are too stiff and that’s why the problem getting them on correctly?

But then again never underestimate an idiot installer.

• Great info, thank you!