Exhaust systems the good and the bad

• We are still waiting for that whisper quiet exhaust, but not holding our breath.

Otherwise, stock exhaust + Madstad windshield = no fumes in the passenger compartment.

Bill

Loud pipes save lives.....

I want to have a nice rumble, not sound like a mad bumblebee on steroids....millennials like to make their tiny cars sound like that....

• Yes, we did wind tunnel testing, although the testing was more focused on overall aerodynamic drag/lift/downforce than testing exhaust fumes. We do have a pretty good sense of how the air moves around the vehicle, but since we were more concerned about high speed testing we did not have a tall windshield or top while testing. From our experience with exhaust fumes, those are 2 of the biggest factors affecting exhaust fumes in the cabin.

Gotcha, thanks for replying and filling us in.

• Loud pipes save lives.....

I want to have a nice rumble, not sound like a mad bumblebee on steroids....millennials like to make their tiny cars sound like that....

All a loud exhaust does on a 4-cylinder is make a vehicle sound impotent and obnoxious! :P

This is what I would like to hear from the exhaust: https://www.bing.com/videos/se…EE702ACE83A5&&FORM=VRDGAR

Bill

• All a loud exhaust does on a 4-cylinder is make a vehicle sound impotent and obnoxious! :P

This is what I would like to hear from the exhaust: https://www.bing.com/videos/se…EE702ACE83A5&&FORM=VRDGAR

Bill

Hear that rattle noise....my SS rear end sounds twice as loud as that....not counting any exhaust noise.....it sounds like a broken down farm truck on a goat trail doing 90 miles an hour.....rattles and banging.....I wear ear plugs when I ride to cut down on wind noise....it also helps to not hear the clanging any banging going on...

• Loud pipes lose rights.......

Loud bike go by, People look at it as it gos by...Driver thinks he looks/sounds cool....

People looking as it gos by , Thinking what an ''A''Hole they should be outlawed...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• I have the Welter Exhaust on my SS and I have the baffles cut at 1" off what is received and I do not

feel like I am causing excessive noise nor do I go up my street first gear full throttle.

And with turbo I like to see it warm up.The Vanderhall seem louder to me during startup probably

because exhaust is right below me and I had stock exhaust and know others are putting on

3" on them to be annoying...

But I wake up every morning around 5am and I will tell you more and more trucks and SUV's have Nascar exhaust on

them and more annoying than any SS or Vanderhall I own...

And I live in a neighbor hood setting and they fly by with noisy exhaust and thumper sound systems louder than

my TV with being hard of hearing..

So the whole country as become look at me or hear me before you see me attitude..

But I try everywhere I drive to be seen and not heard ..

And the law should enforce noise laws for exhaust and sound systems.

Loud bike go by, People look at it as it gos by...Driver thinks he looks/sounds cool....

People looking as it gos by , Thinking what an ''A''Hole they should be outlawed...

That part of society looks at all bikers like hell’s angels even if the motor isn’t running....

I call them the pissed off bumblebee millennials....that think their little 4 cylinder rat traps are the 400 HP muscle cars of the 60-70s....they like to pretend.its that video game mentality....life has no conciquences ...I’m invincible...I never really die in video games..

I have to confess I used to ride a motorcycle with straight pipes in the 70s that could be heard all over town....and I know for a fact it pissed many adults off...especially in our neighborhood.....

That said I’m not interested in making my SS any louder than the stock welter dual exhaust is now.

As a driver there have been several times where a motorcycle was in my blind spot, usually because they were lane splitting, and the only way I knew they were there was because I heard them - - at those times I personally was very glad they had their "loud pipes"

having said this The idea of loud pipes so that you can "be seen" seems kind of silly on the Slingshot - - we are just as visible as almost any other car and I sure as heck hope no one is sneaking up on people lane splitting

please dont get me wrong - if you want a loud exhaust on your sling thats great, just dont tell me its because loud pipes save lives

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I have already said that the little Alum. Buick motor V-8 would be perfect. It was still in production up to a few years ago with was it Land Rover

Good motors but you got to get a good one. Never liked to overheat and are prone to dropping cylinder sleeves. At that point it's scrap aluminum.

Now if I could get an Alfa Romeo 3.0L V6 that is one of the all time best sounding motors. Basic form good for 200hp plus and good low end. The sound it the real gem.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I have been running my stock muffler for 4 years now. 3 with the internal CAT bypassed and additional holes between all three chambers. It sounds right and has that burbble that I love. 1320 manifold and a stock down pipe with the CAT removed. Cost of the header is all that I paid for. Now opening the muffler and welding back up was not the most fun I have had but worth it. With the CAT still in the muffler I do get less fumes than an an aftermarket version.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I solved my exhaust problem today, sorta, took off the windshield :)

The TD has the little mini wind shields that are like 4" tall and mounted to the dash, I left those and took the big one off. And promptly remembered why I have a windshield, I hate being buffeted by the wind.

I did find a small leak on one of the pipes connected near the transmission. I remembered that one of them wasn't perfectly round and wouldn't slide in smoothly and I had to really work it to get them together.

Pulled it apart, applied the muffler sealant per the instructions and put it all back together. It's helped, but not totally solved my problem. Cat and rear wind screen are still on the way.

• I think you have to be an idiot to lane split going 60-70 mph...on 2 wheels....I watched some videos of people doing it....it’s no brave it’s stupid...

usually when I encounter people lane splitting its either at lights where they move between cars to get to the front, but mostly its on the freeway when the traffic is backed up and moving fairly slowly . A friend of my son some yeas back tried lane splitting between a bunch of cars and a big rig at about 70mph - - he's dead, got sucked under the big rigs trailer and was crushed - driver of the rig never even knew it happened. Personally I have never lane split except in stopped or almost stopped traffic - never had enough faith that no one would try to get over or stick out a hand without looking

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Finished the install of the high flow cat on the Welter 2.5" duals tonight. Took two nights, due to just me not having enough time to finish it.

Go0nJMD.jpg

I should have taken a pic of the new cat itself before I installed, but here is a close up:

MA89Dkg.jpg

Yeah, I scratched the side of it getting it in, wasn't easy to squeeze through there and get the other end slid into the rear piping. It would have been easier if I had removed it all, but didn't think I needed to take the time. It worked out, but scratches happen, oh well.

Brand of the cat is Vibrant.

Many thanks to Jeff Welter for taking several calls from me and being patient about my questions and helping me find a solution. This has definitely solved my fumes problem, as expected.

I rode a big loop of about 35 miles tonight, mainly running 65 - 70, but several slow downs and never once smelt any fumes. I did smell some burn off of the new pipes and coating, plus the muffler sealant I used, but no fumes.

Got home and had the boss do a sniff test, she could smell nothing on me (previous rides she complained that I was stinky of motorcycle).

Performance wise, I can't tell a difference, but we've already seen from dyno runs by Kyle that a cat delete isn't making that much of a difference.

If anyone has questions, hit me up.

Thanks again Jeff!