Better Battery...

• Update for those with a 2016.5 Slingshot. I just purchased an Optima battery to replace the smaller battery. When I called Slingmods to order the battery mount they let me know that tricled is no longer making the mount to fit the 2016.5 model year slingshots. I had to purchase one from Slingshotonly who still sells them.

I really appreciate the reply and I am glad you informed us about TricLeds intentions. The information on the phone was a little different, that's why I ordered somewhere else.
    Thank you......

• I am putting a battery tender on the SS and too my surprise when I took battery cover off I could loosen the neg and pos nuts with my fingers. The dealership (car dealer) had a tender on it when I bought it. They removed it and didn't tighten the nuts. Glad I decided to install a battery tender on it or it might have let me down on the road somewhere. Decided to use the tender I had for the bike, now just have to decide where to mount the connector. It has a cap to protect it from road grime and an inline fuse. Think I will tie it near the swingarm so it is not that noticeable.

• I am putting a battery tender on the SS and too my surprise when I took battery cover off I could loosen the neg and pos nuts with my fingers. The dealership (car dealer) had a tender on it when I bought it. They removed it and didn't tighten the nuts. Glad I decided to install a battery tender on it or it might have let me down on the road somewhere. Decided to use the tender I had for the bike, now just have to decide where to mount the connector. It has a cap to protect it from road grime and an inline fuse. Think I will tie it near the swingarm so it is not that noticeable.

Buy the connector to plug in the tender in the recpt. between the seats. Also for everyone you probably need to pull the battery cover at least once a year to inspect and clean the connectors to the battery. I just pulled mine for the second time to clean for the trip to Murphy, N.C. and it was badly corrorded so I topped off with distilled water and cleaned and installed my heated vest connector.

• I would have but already had the items I needed to hook it directly to the battery so that is what I did. I really didn't mind and it gives me more experience getting panels off and finding where everything is located but I sure do appreciate the input.

• The dealership (car dealer) had a tender on it when I bought it. They removed it and didn't tighten the nuts.

Wow, you woulda thought the labor to remove was more than the $5 pigtail was worth. My dealer (Polaris) left the tender cord on, and when I asked about buying the charging head, they told me to go to Walmart, where it was a lot cheaper.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• I posted this in a different thread in response to a post, but wanted to also post it here where it belongs. Pep Boys has an AGM battery with 4 yr warranty on sale that should fit the Slingshot - Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group, Size 34 | 838883 | Pep Boys. Don't know when the sale ends.

Sale ends at 1159pm on 22 Nov. I need a new battery (2016 SS) and this looks like a far cheaper option than the Optima batteries. I’m looking for comments, but Bosch stuff is generally good.

• Sale ends at 1159pm on 22 Nov. I need a new battery (2016 SS) and this looks like a far cheaper option than the Optima batteries. I’m looking for comments, but Bosch stuff is generally good.

Me too... Might be pushing my luck on the original 2015 battery... 8|

Still starts up fine though after sitting for weeks... No tenderer ever...

• Still running OEM battery also (2-1/2 years)...

My OE battery works ok too, but if the SS (2016, small battery) isn’t run for a week or so, it generally needs a boost. I carry a battery boost gadget in the storage box along with my rain gear. Also have a +ve post behind the driver seat for easy access for boosting. I use the seat belt mounting bolt for my -ve. When I remember, I plug in the battery tender if I think I won’t be riding for a few days.

• Don't you have the model with the full-sized battery, though?
    Curious if anyone knows what a reasonable lifespan for the small motorcycle batteries is.

Yes, mine is a 2015 so I have the full size battery.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Don't you have the model with the full-sized battery, though?
    Curious if anyone knows what a reasonable lifespan for the small motorcycle batteries is.

I am still running the 2015 original battery also. I have always got between 3 and 4 years out of all of my small batteries (motorcycle and lawn mowers) but I keep them charged up and never use tap water in them, distilled water only.

• Curious if anyone knows what a reasonable lifespan for the small motorcycle batteries is.

If charged and kept that way, most will get you 3 seasons. But most motorcycle batteries or lawnmower batteries aren't turning over an automobile engine, which it really what we have. As for me, the small battery is still holding up fine after two seasons..... it's in the Harley now though!

I have the red top Optima in the Sling now, 800 CCA.