Does anyone else notice this?

• Background on this issue before reading. This has happened since the day I bought my SS. It has nothing to do with power or spinning the rear tire because it does this just cruising down the highway. And I have never heard of anyone bringing this subject up so it may just be in my head. :D

Since the first day with my SS I have noticed that when traveling at speeds over 55 when I pass someone or just simply change lanes on a 4 lane highway it feels like my back end is raising and lowering. It kinda feels like the whole rear suspension moves 2 inches (what feels like to me). And gives this weightless squirly feeling. I first thought it was the crown in the highway but it can't be because it does this on a road that has both lanes angled the same way. I have wondered if it was something that had to do with the steering and the basic design of the SS. My guess was maybe the rear had to raise or lower slightly (and it just feels like it moves alot) when the steering wheel turned enough to change lanes at higher speeds.

Am I the only person that feels this?

• It may be the mothership trying to "call you home" (beam you up) but you've got so damn much HP and moving at such high sowed that they can't. I haven't noticed it ever. Are you close enough to the car in front of you that you are benefiting from their aerodynamics and when you pull around to pass you'regetting clean air back under the sling, pushing it up?

• Rab, I did notice your Slingshots rear end had a lot of travel when you got on it beside me at Panama City. I think that its just in the design. I would think the belt tension has to change a lot during this travel.

2017 Orange Madness SLR

• Don't forget that even though the whole roadway has a crown, each individual lane has a crown also, and some of them have pretty good sized ruts where the 4 wheelers tires ride, which causes a dramatic crown.
    I have indeed felt what you are describing, but I chalk it up to the ruts in the road, the back tire falling in those ruts and then climbing out of them as i center myself in the left lane. Once centered i don't feel it again.

• Maybe it's the torque. When you give it gas to pass a car I'm sure you don't just ease into it. Giving any vehicle with a lot of power a quick burst will result in the rear end gripping and lowering slightly. Can be easily seen on dragsters. Unless you are driveing a fwd vehicle, the front will drop.

From years of MC riding you may be one of us that is sensitive to tire and road interaction ...

Could be any time the Slingshot is traveling other than in a straight line the rear wheel moves with the chassis and to some degree tries to climb up the rear tire sidewall while the contact patch gets smaller. This would become more pronounced with wider tires. Not concentrating on a turn you may be noticing it more.

Used to get a similar feeling to what you describe when Tina did too many burnouts on her Turbo Nightrod special and flatspotted that wide rear tire and when we ran a car tire on the rear of the GL1800.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• It's definitely more noticable with JRI's set in the soft range for cruising... The part of the drive belt under tension is above the swingarm pivot centerline. Increasing torque would increase loading on the rear suspension and vice versa. More than doubling the HP might make it really noticeable!

• When you first got your SS was suspension all stock?
    Sounds like you have aftermarket shocks on it now but if you noticed that feeling since new, it might just be a feeling your not used to.
    I have driven slow and fast changing lanes and always feel pretty stuck to roads with no ride hight changes, all stock suspension.

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• Yea it did it with the stock suspension.
    Its just a feeling of (kind of like) weightlessness .

Ans its not a problem or a big deal. I just wondered if others had noticed anything like it.

:thumbsup:

I've felt the same sensation. Almost like the back was on hydraulics and was lifting up. Only happened a couple times but it really got my attention when it happened as the handling got kind of squirrelly at the time. Both times it was under mild braking. Our roads rut out around here but it did not appear to be one of those areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app