New approach for a SlingShot top...

• Congrats on finally taking that leap of faith @Ruptured Duck!!! :00000436::00000436: I'm excited for you and your wife!!! :00000441::00000441:
    I've had an ongoing interest in your various projects, and look forward to checking out your offerings when you get everything up and running in your vendor page!!!!

Good luck and god speed my friend!!!!! :00007555:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• See there RD. I GOT THE GRAVY TRAIN ROLLIN!

Thank you sir.

At the moment nothing but prototypes. Working hard to get stuff going.

I'm working with Tina to draft a nice introduction thread to start it all off. My skillset is elsewhere.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Thank you sir.
    At the moment nothing but prototypes. Working hard to get stuff going.

I'm working with Tina to draft a nice introduction thread to start it all off. My skillset is elsewhere.

BUT your skill set is one of a kind!!! Can't wait to see this --- it's the only top I have considered!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• I would love to get tops out to those that really want them ASAP but it's a cost thing at this point. All the frames are being hand bent by me. The top fabric alone cost me $400 each to have custome made for each prototype. If I were to do limited pre-production custom tops you would be looking at about $1300-$1400.
    Would hate anyone to pay that when the goal for production tops will be around $850 retail (plus or minus).

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• new front A-pillar bracket and arm design.
    Doing high speed and expressway buffeting testing today in the 70 degree GA weather.

Serious question to the interested people.
    I had the front arms designed to be removed with two bolts if desired. If the front A-pillar arms sit low do you see the need for them to come off easy?. It's still just two bolts but it's the mirror arms bolts.
    The top still comes off the same way, that's not changed. Pay no attention to the top bracket and how it looks at this time. The testing was for the mounting at the mirror so the top looks out of alignment. Hell production want be using the top mount design anyway. The rework allows the front A-pillar bars to be just one bend as apposed to the previous design that had 2. Trying to keep cost down so I can hit the retail price I promised.

Edit: one thing .... No the arms do not touch the body. Picture looks like they do but trust me.... There will be not body contact.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• That mount to mirror is very cool and I LUV the smaller tubing!! Patrick - been tellin ya for over a year ya really got sumthin here!!!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Personally i just want the top to be removable without too much work, i am not planning on removing the arms when the top is off.

On a separate note, any thought or possibility of increasing the diameter of the side arms in order to make it look a little more "oem" like.

Also can they be used(strong enough) as a grab arm to support yourself getting in or out of the sling?

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Hmm... Hope I don't catch anything for this as it may delay things...

But...

I'd prefer to not have the arms there when the top isn't in use... Unless they're a quick off without too much work, but being under the mirror seems like it's more of a process...

I might be completely off in my interpretation, so maybe a video walk through of the top install and removal would be good to get a better idea...?

• That is the whole purpose of this innovative top - easy removal and light so you can put it on or take it off in minutes.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Personally i just want the top to be removable without too much work, i am not planning on removing the arms when the top is off.

On a separate note, any thought or possibility of increasing the diameter of the side arms in order to make it look a little more "oem" like.

Also can they be used(strong enough) as a grab arm to support yourself getting in or out of the sling?

@Neosolidus the picture doesn't show it well but the arm mounting bushing (between OE mirror and OE mounting bracket) is the same OD as the factory parts. This brings up @MiM point about the removability of the arms. The current bushing has a 3/4" opening for a 3/4" tube to be installed. This 3/4" tube is then press into the 7/8" tubing that will be used for the top. So yes the new tube is smaller (1" down to 7/8"). Now I'm back to @Neosolidus bushing size comment. I can greatly reduce cost and complexity as well as rigidity if I increase the bushing hole ID from 3/4" to 7/8" and simply have the tube insert to the bushing and be secured using the mirror bolt. MiM I 100% understand your desire. It's why I originally designed it as removable (looks). I'm rather picky about it. Interestingly I find the arms not unappealing without the top mounted. I'll keep at it. The two step design is workable so let me see if I can get it done ( machine shop will be needed) at a reasonable starting cost.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• I'm really liking this!

I'd stay with the tube size as seen here. After top removal it would be nice to disengage the arms to 'clean' the look a bit. Maybe a quick connect low in the tube and leave the bolted mounts in place. ??? I don't know how critical the tube movement is and a disconnect may not be feasible for strength of movement.

I've never thought of getting a top until @Ruptured Duck 's design and the quick on/off is the key to most who want to go topless most of the time.

• Coming soon.... I might be tearing up a little. Working with @rabtech and will shortly be posting in the vendors section.
    I'll be moving a lot of this thread information over in a little more condensed form so its a little easier to read through.
    Can't tell you guys how honored I am to be making our first appearance here on slingshotInfo.com
    It's been 100% the positive feedback and interest that has finally made me take that leap to see if Tina and I can do something for ourselves and most importantly for the SlingShot community.
    We will do our best to offer quality products that want brake the bank.

ABSOLUTELY LOVE what you're doing @Raptured Duck

Please do not stop what you're doing. Love the logo and the ideas that you are making reality

I hope one of the things you offer is those stupid beer fridge stickers with your logo on it because I want 4 or 5 of them for my fridge .... we'll along with a couple of your products too of course .... but seriously beer fridge stickers it's dumb marketing but it's good marketing especially when guys like me would pay for them

Carry one with your creativity and production

• @Painter the disconnect you discribe is how I have it designed now. I'm just running into OD and ID tube sizes to allow easy slide on and off of the 3/4" tube without it having some loss in rigidity.
    So I was fishing for opinions on what it still important. The quick removal of the top is and will always be the key factor for this top. Keeping it looking good is second with the removability of the A-pillar arms third.

(Slingshot Owners Group)