Can you spare a cup of coffee...to support cancer research and support organizations?

• I have mentioned in several of my posts that I am training for a charity bicycle ride to raise funds for several cancer organizations.

In honor of my mother who lost her battle with non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, my father in law who is a survivor, and many other colleagues and friends who have faced and fought cancer diagnosis, I will be participating in a charity bicycle ride in late July to raise funds for cancer research and support programs.

The organization is called 24 Hours of Booty. Since its inception in 2002, 24 Hours of Booty has raised more than $15 million to support its cancer fighting mission. That adds up to a lot of impactful change for the cancer community! The organizations 24 Hours of Booty will support in 2016 are:

Indianapolis, IN – IU Simon Cancer Center
    Charlotte, NC – Levine Cancer Institute
    Columbia, MD – The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults
    The LIVESTRONG Foundation

For more information about the organization visit their web site at:http://www.24hoursofbooty.org/

My ask is simple – support my efforts by donating $5 (OK - it is the cost of a fancy cup of Starbuck’s coffee!) through the link below.

My personal goal is to raise $1,000 – which equates to the cost of about 200 cups of coffee being donated.

My wife and I will match any donations generated from the Slingshot community up to $500.

I am going to try and ride my bike 150 miles during the 24 hour event.We will start at 7 PM on a Friday evening and ride throughout the night.At some point around 3 AM, I will break for food and a nap with intentions of getting started again around 5:30 AM.

Total time to complete the ride (hopefully!) will be about 14 – 15 hours.

Use this link below for donations that go directly to the charity.

http://events.24hoursofbooty.org/TomsBootyRide2016 (“Toms Booty Ride” – not as exciting as it sounds!!!)

I do appreciate the consideration and any support you choose to provide.
    Thank you!
    Tom

• The organization is called 24 Hours of Booty. Since its inception in 2002, 24 Hours of Booty has raised more than $15 million to support its cancer fighting mission. That adds up to a lot of impactful change for the cancer community!

Tom,
    Good Luck on your quest!!
    My daughter moved down to Huntersville last year. Perhaps we can meet up when I'm down there sometime. This is a great cause and a great thing you're doing!!
    Jimmy

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• Tom,Good Luck on your quest!!
    My daughter moved down to Huntersville last year. Perhaps we can meet up when I'm down there sometime. This is a great cause and a great thing you're doing!!
    Jimmy

Jimmy
    Thank you! I am close to Huntersville so could easily meet up when you are visiting.
    BTW, I grew up in Bristol and attended UConn as an undergrad. Moved to NC in '89, married a local girl and have been here ever since!
    Tom

• I grew up in Bristol

Hysterical!!!
    Two of my kids went to St. Paul Catholic. My son played football there, although the program isn't what it use to be back in it's day. But they are getting better! It's a great school! My late brother lived in Bristol most of his life. Thanks to ESPN, and The Barnes Group, Bristol is not to bad on the wallet tax wise!! I'm driving down there Labor Day weekend, my wife is flying. We're going to the Southern 500 in Darlington. If not then, maybe another time. Met a guy around the block from her that has an Orange SS, and a color matched Street Glide, all in a custom made Harley garage!! It's nice down there!!

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• UPDATE: If you work for a company that matches your charitable donations, the 24 Hours of Booty staff will work with the company to get the matching donation processed. Good news is that the matching donation will be credited towards my total goal!

I was not aware of this until a friend submitted his donation through his internal company process and the charity staff worked to have it applied to my goal.

• In car terms, I fit into the "antique" category...and it felt like it this morning.

It has been a long and hot week. Since Monday (4th), I have ridden my bicycle 138 miles solo (not with a group).

I woke up this morning around 5:30 and everything mentally and physically said go back to sleep. I really didn't want to ride.

But I got up, had something light to eat, took an Aleve, took the dogs for a short walk and said to myself, I got to go do it.

So I prepared and got rolling around 6:30 knowing today wasn't about the speed, my avg. mph, or long distances. Today was about grinding it out, at my pace and getting what ever I could out of the legs.

Simply, set a daily goal and just finish.

Road another 31 miles today for a total of 169 for the week. Not bad considering the heat, had to dodge afternoon thunder monsoon this week, and I am an antique.

The charity ride is the July 29th - so I have a few more weeks of preparations.

Interested in donating and supporting several cancer charities? Use the link below

http://events.24hoursofbooty.org/TomsBootyRide2016

I do appreciate the consideration and any support provided.

Tom

P.S. The smell of cooking bacon on an early morning bike ride is almost tortuous.

• Hey dude I used to do the whole century and marathon routine so I think can safely say Ive got this :00005129:
    You just get your butt on the bike and make us proud young Jedi :00007510:

• @gpcustoms - definately working on it and will give it my all.

LOL. "Young Jedi" hasn't applied in a long time. I am north of 50 and it has been 12 plus years since my last century ride but will do all I can to make my 150 mile goal in the 24 hour ride.

Thank you and stay strong.

• Made the goal for last week - totaled 201.3 miles for the week. :thumbsup:

Monday - 30 miles
    Tuesday - 38.6 miles
    Wednesday - 33 miles
    Thursday - 34.7 miles
    Friday - off
    Saturday - 45 miles (my watch said I burned 3,217 calories!)
    Sunday - 20 miles

Sunday was more of a recovery / easy ride. Plus, I added the lower brow LED lights and the garage door opener to the Sling. I also washed the Sling as it was covered in dead bugs.

Riding longer distances during the week gets tough - by the time I am home from work and rolling, it is close to 6:30 PM and it is starting to get dark around 8:30 PM - so there is a limit to what I can do in the evenings.

Plus it is HOT and humid in the evenings (90 plus all week). Got walloped on Monday by a thunderstorm - had to pull into a car port and sit for 20 minutes. Rain was heavy, rivers of water on the edges of the road, lightening close by, and the rain hurt when it hit you.

Will try and get 215 miles in this week as this is the last week of heavy riding.

The week of the 25th will be shorter, easier rides to let the legs recover.

So far, no road rash, mechanical issues, or dogs chasing after me. Cars on the road have been very respectful as well.

• Another good week - just has been HOT with heat index in the upper 90s all week. I've become comfortable with sweating.

• Monday - 0 miles, had something bad at lunch sad-squared
    • Tuesday - 46 miles
    • Wednesday - 35 miles
    • Thursday - 40 miles
    • Friday off
    • Saturday - 61.1 miles
    • Sunday 36 miles.

Had a goal of 215 total miles for the week and made it! :thumbsup:

Drove the Sling down to where the events / ride will be next Friday. It's a 3.2 mile loop with about half flat to down hill and the other half uphill.

A lot of tree canopy for shade.

Probably ride 30 - 35 miles Monday and Tuesday then rest and stretch Wednesday and Thursday, and eat pasta, carbs, and hydrate.

• I feel your pain. It's a no-win situation during the peak summer heat.