My Slingshot just died

• .......J-case (3 main fuses in there) one was part of the recall BUT there was another that wasn't part of the recall and caused my slingshot to shut down on me on the NJ Turnpike while I was in the left lane, talk about an OH SHYT moment.........check that J-case (especially the rear of it )......

.....My fix was to separate that 2nd fuse in that J-case just like the one for the recall, haven't had any issues since ......so that left me with just one fuse in the J-case.....

Good advice, but would that explain the white smoke? Wait, only the shop saw white smoke. Scanman , if it were me I'd listen to Funinthesun and Dave@DDMWorks and dig deeper. Please keep us posted. I'm smelling a skunk.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Good advice, but would that explain the white smoke? Wait, only the shop saw white smoke. Scanman , if it were me I'd listen to Funinthesun and Dave@DDMWorks and dig deeper. Please keep us posted. I'm smelling a skunk.

The more I've thought about it, the more I don't think it's the head or gasket. I don't think either one would cause it to shut down like it did. I called another dealer (the one I'm taking it to) and the guy I talked to didn't think it was the head or gasket. I'm going to pick it up Tuesday and do some checking on it myself. I have a copy of the repair manual and it has all the error codes decoded. I may even borrow a compression tester and do a quick dry compression test, check the oil and coolant level to verify if it does have a blown gasket.

The only reason I got a quote on the head gasket was because I wanted to know how much that was going to cost me...if that was the problem. The quote was from the dealer I bought the Sling but I'm going to take it to another dealer closer to me...90 miles vs 140. I'll try to keep everybody updated.

• I got even worse news from the dealer's mechanics. Without tearing into the engine, the codes and how it ran relayed to Polaris, it needs a new engine. A new one from Polaris and labor to install will run about $10,600. I don't know about any of you guys, but I can't put that much into this Slingshot. I asked about a salvage engine and I was told that they would see if they could find a less expensive engine to replace it.

They have a 2017 Sling, blue, with 22,223 miles for $18,249. I'm seriously considering buying that one and letting the bank repo mine. I know my credit score would take a big hit, but I can't see having over $40,000 in my 2016 Slingshot. I remember seeing a link to a salvage yard that has Slingshot engines. Could somebody help me out and let me know the name of that company?

Thanks for the help.

• I got even worse news from the dealer's mechanics. Without tearing into the engine, the codes and how it ran relayed to Polaris, it needs a new engine. A new one from Polaris and labor to install will run about $10,600. I don't know about any of you guys, but I can't put that much into this Slingshot. I asked about a salvage engine and I was told that they would see if they could find a less expensive engine to replace it.

They have a 2017 Sling, blue, with 22,223 miles for $18,249. I'm seriously considering buying that one and letting the bank repo mine. I know my credit score would take a big hit, but I can't see having over $40,000 in my 2016 Slingshot. I remember seeing a link to a salvage yard that has Slingshot engines. Could somebody help me out and let me know the name of that company?

Thanks for the help.

try to contact Dave@ddm he maybe able to help .

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• try to contact Dave@ddm he maybe able to help .

I would contact Dave at DDM and talk to him about this and see what he suggest on repairing cost

or engine swap for you....

And then decide what direction after talking to Dave...

Would think hard on Repo direction and costing you credit score and you are still spending 18K and still a

used Slingshot ....

If everything else on yours with 9100 miles is fine I would do engine change..

Wish you well on decision..

Thanks for the help.

....I'm curious to know , why a new engine.......what was it that brought it to its demise......

Thanks for the help.

Will they take your Slingshot as a trade in?

• I was just going to say Dave@DDMWorks too.

Here's food for thought - BUILT engine with no core and set up for turbo - only $5100. You (or Dave) can swap engines in a day.

"Honest, Honey. It's not that I WANT a engine capable of 500 horsepower in the Slingshot. It's the smarter, less expensive choice and will save us a bunch of money. See how much money I'm saving!"

• With all due respect, IK still don't but it. This dealer and/or the mother ship has determined that it needs a complete engine assembly without a teardown, compression, or leak down tests? What codes are present to point them in that direction? I would hate to see you toss away good money needlessly due to unqualified diagnostic skills of the dealership. I'm pretty sure if they did do ANY diagnostics, they would have explained what they did, saw and found out on the engine. The worst part is your second sentence where you say (WITHOUT TEARING INTO THE ENGINE, THE CODES AND HOW IT RAN RELAYED TO POLARIS) indicates to me that they are either the best Ecotec technician in the country, or the biggest ripoff service department. There's no way I could ever tell a customer that their 9,000 engine needs a complete replacement without having run these tests to have back-up data in case something goes wrong. And just FYI, I was a service manager for a GM dealership prior to my owning my own auto repair shop before retiring. And I am (was) a certifies ASE Master Technician, so I do have some experience saying these things without seeing the vehicle

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• As I quickly learned with the dealerships in my area, especially once out of warranty, may be better to find you someone in the area that has more experience with the gm motor and less ties with polaris. I went this route after being quoted $300+ for an oil change.

• Right now, I'm thinking about buying the DDM Works engine and doing the swap with my brother-in-law's help. This seems like my best option to get a really good engine and get back to having fun in my Slingshot.

• Scanny............

How did you get your SS to Maggie?

I would get myself a cheap trailer, and take it to an independent mechanic with wicked mad skills with GM motors.

Like many guys on this forum.

I find it hard to believe that motor is junk.

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• Scanny............

How did you get your SS to Maggie?

I would get myself a cheap trailer, and take it to an independent mechanic with wicked mad skills with GM motors.

Like many guys on this forum.

I find it hard to believe that motor is junk.

I got it to Maggie by driving it. It made the trip to and from with no problems. The first sign of a problem was when it died on me 2 miles from my friend's house.

I may take it to a local shop that has worked on my Avalanche and see what they say about it. I'm going to be able to borrow a trailer to haul it back from McKinney, TX. If the local shop says the motor is bad, then I'll take it to my brother-in-law's and order the DDMWorks engine.

• .......betcha theres nothing wrong with the engine and the J-Case fuse in the rear is the issue.....that's my hope for you But in the event you go the DDM route, well you can't go wrong there........Good Luck

It's been running, just extremely rough and making noises and putting out white smoke. I don't know what they did to it at South Main Iron to get it running but I'm beginning to think they screwed it up.

Where exactly is the J-Case fuse located?

• It's been running, just extremely rough and making noises and putting out white smoke. I don't know what they did to it at South Main Iron to get it running but I'm beginning to think they screwed it up.

Where exactly is the J-Case fuse located?

Pull the battery out and it is on the frame behind where the battery sits.