My Slingshot just died

• I was headed home from a friend's house and as I was going through the gears, the engine died and wouldn't start. I don't know if it lost ignition or fuel but it has about a half a tank of gas. I'm having it taken to a local shop that works on Slingshots. Hopefully it's not too serious.=O?(

• Scanman

Changed the title of the thread from “My Slingshot just died on me” to “My Slingshot just died”.
  • You can take the metal cap off the fuel rail (just like on the tire valve stem) and depress the schrader valve to see if any fuel sprays out. If it does, then it's not fuel related and probably electrical. If it doesn't, then check the fuel pump fuse to see if it's blown. If not, then swap the fuel pump relay for one of the other relays (they're most if not all the same) to see if that works. If still no thing, you either have a wiring/connector issue, ecu issue something in the engine management. See if you have any codes set

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• You can take the metal cap off the fuel rail (just like on the tire valve stem) and depress the schrader valve to see if any fuel sprays out. If it does, then it's not fuel related and probably electrical. If it doesn't, then check the fuel pump fuse to see if it's blown. If not, then swap the fuel pump relay for one of the other relays (they're most if not all the same) to see if that works. If still no thing, you either have a wiring/connector issue, ecu issue something in the engine management. See if you have any codes set

It's already at the shop and I was told it will probably be a week before they look at it.

• Battery?????

shortly after I got my slingshot I had it just die like this. didnt think it was the battery was just totally dead. had it towed to the dealer and they sat on it for a week before looking at it and then called me and told me it was the battery - thank god it was covered by warranty because they would have charged a fortune. that was the one and only time I have taken my sling back to the dealer - - yea the little batteries in these things can go like someone flipped a light switch right down to zero in an instant - In fact I just put a new battery in mine earlier this year - the old one was still working, but I figured it was 6 years old and due, plus I didnt want to wait until it died on me like the first one did.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Mine has been sitting for 6 weeks with a bad battery. With the total knee replacement just at the 5 week point I haven't been able to do it. Can't get in or or out of it so no loss.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• The shop called me about my Sling and it wasn't good news. I was told that they got it to start but it wasn't running very good and it was putting out a lot of white smoke. They seem to think it's either a bad head or blown head gasket. I called the dealer where I bought it and was told that to fix the head gasket would be $1800. I'm beginning to wonder if I bought a money pit that I can't afford on my fixed income.

• The shop called me about my Sling and it wasn't good news. I was told that they got it to start but it wasn't running very good and it was putting out a lot of white smoke. They seem to think it's either a bad head or blown head gasket. I called the dealer where I bought it and was told that to fix the head gasket would be $1800. I'm beginning to wonder if I bought a money pit that I can't afford on my fixed income.

What year is your Slingshot & how many miles do you have on it?

• What year is your Slingshot & how many miles do you have on it?

yes, I am curious to know what year as well. if its one with the older Chevy motors I am surprised to hear this, it is a proven engine that has been around for a long time and has a good track record. On the other hand if its a newer sling with the Polaris motor then I have no idea if these are potential many pits - - - also if it is the GM motor I am curious to know if its boosted?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Like the others asked, what year Slingshot do you have and is there any forced induction on it? On a naturally aspirated 2.4L Ecotec and head gasket failure would be extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely.

• Like the others asked, what year Slingshot do you have and is there any forced induction on it? On a naturally aspirated 2.4L Ecotec and head gasket failure would be extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely.

It's a 2016 with 9100 miles on it, completely stock. I don't think head gasket failure would cause it to stop running like the ignition was turned off. I asked if they had done a compression test and he said no. Dave@DDMWorks do you have any ideas of what the problem might be?

• It's a 2016 with 9100 miles on it, completely stock. I don't think head gasket failure would cause it to stop running like the ignition was turned off. I asked if they had done a compression test and he said no. Dave@DDMWorks do you have any ideas of what the problem might be?

2016 with 105,000+ miles and as long as the 'battery' is strong , it starts before it turns over 3 times. I do have regular Maintenace done by the tech at Nielsen's in Lake Villa, IL.

• Sounds like that service department used to sell timeshare condos. First off, MOST cracked heads/blown head gaskets are determined by a visual inspection of coolant and oil levels. Milkshake colored oil indicates that coolant has entered into the engine block. Either from a cracked head (or less likely, a cracked block) or a blown head gasket. If there is white smoke, that indicates that there is something entering the combustion chamber that doesn't belong there. (Coolant or oil). A simple check of the coolant tank will tell them if there's a low coolant level and if they added water to it, leaving the cap off with the engine running, they would see either the level being lowered or compression being blown into the tank. A simple removal of the spark plugs and compression test will tell them almost everything they need to know about the failure. My guess (and it's only a guess based on limited first hand knowledge of how this happened and what they know and did, is that it PROBABLY isn't what they have indicated. You'd probably be one of the first 100 people who would have had this happen to under those conditions (low mileage and not boosted). To provide you an estimate of $1800 without a confirmation of the exact damage in my opinion is plain nuts. I would ask them what they did to confirm their diagnosis before going forward. Then if you're sure of their diagnosis, check for a second opinion. I'm sure for not too much more than that figure, you could get an entire used Slingshot engine installed from some shop that may have pulled one out so someone could have upgraded to a billet internal upgraded block.

JMHO

Good luck

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• It is a 2016 with 9100 miles.

.......J-case (3 main fuses in there) one was part of the recall BUT there was another that wasn't part of the recall and caused my slingshot to shut down on me on the NJ Turnpike while I was in the left lane, talk about an OH SHYT moment.........check that J-case (especially the rear of it )......

.....My fix was to separate that 2nd fuse in that J-case just like the one for the recall, haven't had any issues since ......so that left me with just one fuse in the J-case.....