saddlebag doors bad fit

• A trucker pointed at the rear of my SS this morning indicating a door was open. I pulled off to check and found the right saddlebag door open. Nothing fell out but my friend had the same thing a while back and I noticed when I first unlocked them that the driver side is near impossible to close. It appears someone added some washers under the inner part of the latch but the striker bolt hits the lower edge of the latch assembly when you close it. I have to lift up hard on the door to make it latch. Seems they should fit much better for the price. Anyone else having this issue? I can make a mod to fix it but that should not be necessary. I'll have the dealer look at it when I take it in for a replacement part one of their guys shorted out when installing under dash lighting. I also just had the backup camera go out – screen goes blank with a green color? Surely there is nothing in the menu gone awry?

My people skills are just fine; my tolerance for idiots, not so much!

• A trucker pointed at the rear of my SS this morning indicating a door was open. I pulled off to check and found the right saddlebag door open. Nothing fell out but my friend had the same thing a while back and I noticed when I first unlocked them that the driver side is near impossible to close. It appears someone added some washers under the inner part of the latch but the striker bolt hits the lower edge of the latch assembly when you close it. I have to lift up hard on the door to make it latch. Seems they should fit much better for the price. Anyone else having this issue? I can make a mod to fix it but that should not be necessary. I'll have the dealer look at it when I take it in for a replacement part one of their guys shorted out when installing under dash lighting. I also just had the backup camera go out – screen goes blank with a green color? Surely there is nothing in the menu gone awry?

I think there are at least a couple of threads on the faults of those saddlebags.

• The original owner had the bags installed when he bought it in Ft. Pierce Fl. I have no idea what brand but from some of the discussion on the forum, it sounds like I have the junk ones.

I've got one of the first Corbin bags and they originally had a double latch and good fit. They changed out for some reason to a single latch system that simply doesn't latch well and they also ran into some fit and finish issues along the way. They're expensive and Corbin is not easy to deal with. If you got the SS from a dealer, utilize them for this to save a headache, otherwise call Corbin and they'll not do much but they generally send out a washer kit that helps some.

• Recommend you use the search feature for "Corbin" to see other threads on this forum with details on the many persistent frustrations having to do with those bags.

Or, you know, deep six the Corbin set and go buy a set from MeanSling...

( @Ruptured Duck, you see what I did there? :P )

• For $3,333, it's the single biggest waste of money I've spent on anything for a hobby. I sold mine for $2,000 and was happy to get that out of them. The black area "blistered" on me. The lids were shimmed like you speak of on yours, but there is only about 5/16" of thread on that bolt. Mine was shimmed over half that, and pulled the threads. I managed to get it back in by taking off all but one washer, the way it was designed. My fender also cracked where it bolts into the saddlebag on the driver's side. Not to mention, the red didn't really match the SS. If that weren't enough things to be wrong, the lids would pop open at random times, and even when closed they leaked. The only thing they did was look good. About like having a high class call girl with disease.... Looks nice but you can't really use it.

The way to fix the hinge is to remove all the spacers (that wasn't Corbin's intent, but their end result was still junk). I took an adjustable wrench and bent the L shaped latch up until it clears the bolt head. It doesn't take much of an adjustment. You may also need to shim the latch until it makes better contact to grab the bolt. Keep in mind that the more shim you put behind the latch, the more chance for leaks. Then again, if the lid is open, it's going to leak lots....

I'm sorry you have them. I'd say they were a boat anchor, but they float so they aren't even good for that. Here's mine.....

• I love the look of the bags - ot finishes the design that Polaris started IMHO. That was 1/2 the reason we got them. We did our research first though and we believed that the best results (those with the fewest or no complaints) came from those who had them in talked by a vendor/dealer that had installed many. So, we watched and waited and last year at the Ozarks Invasion we had SlingshotOnly install them. This way, whatever problems might exist SlingshotOnly had to step up to the plate first.

We've had them for a year and love the look and that we can use the Slingshot to get out of town for a long weekend without having to turn your original pair of underware inside out or backwards. I can say that we are throughly disgusted by the reports of how Corbin treats their customers especially at that price point.

All in all, the best recommendation that I can give you to get you bags fixed is to expect that your dealer fix them as they are a significant portion of your total investment. No matter how handy you may be make the dealer get it right or compensate you properly if they cannot.

• I do think Corbin has gotten better on the bags. Mine are a year old, and I've not had cracking, blistering, or doors pop open. That said, The latching mechanism SUCKs at the price. I have to slam and push them shut, and then you are still not sure (although not popped open). They do leak a little....I've not used in the rain to know how much. The support bars/members under the bag are rusting apart, noting I live on the intercostal in FL, but they ere powder coated.

I love the looks of them, and do use them on occasion. For the money, they are a rip off, but they are also the only real hard bad choice. I do note that Kev 2s options is interesting.

I would tinker with the adjustments, looking at what is wrong. In some, the locking hinges are hitting the tip of the pole that is wider. In others, mis-aligned. You may get it to only marginally unacceptable like mine is :)

• I agree with @Ross as long as it's a good dealer with a history of standing behind their sales. Flipside is that if you install yourself you have a better understanding of them and can tinker. There have been polls and it seems that about 50% are happy with them and have no problems, not really a good percentage but at least it shows they can look and work properly.

• Has anyone else noticed how all these Corbin bags sit a little crooked in the rear ive seen plenty of them in person and they all have a crooked license plate. Even the newer ones if you have them and haven't noticed take a look yourself

• They probably did the same corporate thing all companies do after they have some success...they cheapened everything...from two latches to one $$$$$$ make it China $$$$$$ use cheaper parts $$$$$$ in the long run end up with a crappy product you can't give away go out of business and blame the economy instead of corporate greed and mismanagement.

Typical managerial thinking today...how can I make millions in salary...worry about getting the biggest bottom line we can get and ignore everything that really matters like our product and our employees.

That's why Sears is going under. We make proudly make all our quality tools in China now....we're going down but look at our bottom line...screw what the public wants...what do they know anyway...they like cheap Chinese tools

• Why blame management, might as well blame anyone who has an investment portfolio or retirement account that wants and demands to see constant growth at high numbers. The greed isn't only at the top it is what the public wants

I personally think the deal that Sears just made was brilliant and may save them. The difficulty Sears has had is more based on the changes in consumer purchasing habits - emergence of online shopping with quick delivery, commoditization of goods and services, devaluation of products built in America, and incredible desire for lowest cost regardless of where an item is made or how

• That's what I've been telling everyone...when they came up with the 401k plan...the government was pushing it big time...I told my coworkers. If the government wants you to do it...can it be good? When did the government ever want to help us...

To me it sounds like the biggest ponsi scheme going...do what we tell you and you'll be a Millionaire.... So every once in a while well let you make some money and then we'll crash the market and take it all back...and to make sure you won't take your money out of our scheme well tax you 30% ...nobody wants to give the government 30% of their money....so the hook is set....sucker....

Now since we tied their earnings to the stock market....everyone that gets sucked in will have to root for corporate greed...it's a win win for us....not the common man. We can screw our employees, drop their benefits, kill their health plans, and pay them peanuts....and they think they will have enough money to retire ...LOLOLOLOLOL

Raise your hands if you know anyone that will me a millionaire in 40 years from their 401k plan. Besides people that are already millionaire...

It's been said many times you will need to save half of your earnings to be able to retire with your present lifestyle....

Ok now show me your hands if you can currently live on half of your present salary so you can faithfully save the other half for retirement...

Biggest ponsi scheme ever devised....and you're stuck in it now....hurrah for corporate greed....even if it means losing my job and benefits and getting paid right above the poverty level...but I'll be a millionaire in 40 years .... They promised...