Can a real Roll Cage be made for Slingshot?

• I see a few decorative tops but no real roll cages .
    I'm not a mechanic, nor have I ever played one on TV.
    So no clue me.
    Just asking if anyone has built a real roll cage for the slingshot ?
    I would think one with an H shape so gull wing top could help entry and exit?

• I've designed and built dozens of roll cages for off road vehicles, and, in my opinion, there are quite a few obstacles to overcome to make a proper safety cage.
    Primarily, attachment points.
    A roll cage should be attached to the frame. Not a problem in the front because you could attach to the frame tubes, but in the rear, not so easy. It would take a ton of cutting.
    "Why not bolt it into the roll hoops?" To have a true safety cage, it is welded on, not bolted on. The fasteners would be the weak point.
    If you ever look at bolt on cages for, let's say, Jeeps. You will always see it called a "Sport Cage" or "Trail Cage". They are designed for a slow speed flip, not a high speed rollover. You will also see a disclaimer about liability saying that it is for looks and does not offer proper rollover protection. This is a legal thing because the bolts could fall. No company wants that liability.
    Also, a cage needs to triangulated at each node. (At every bended corner there needs to be at least 3 tubes coming together for strength.)
    And it needs to be made of, at a minimum, 120 wall DOM tubing. That would add a TON of weight.
    So, yes, it is possible, but, the cons far outweigh the pros.
    A custom shop that is experienced in building cages could definitely make one.
    But, purely from a liability standpoint, I don't think you will ever see a company sell one in mass production.
    Hope that helps answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• Thank you for the replies.
    Yes it did answer the question.
    I was thinking if I was going to spend $1500 to $3000 on a top it might as well be real one .
    I need flip up to get in and out of the sling so that would make the Strength part of it weak.
    Weight would hurt it also,
    I will go with the Polaris one if it ever comes out .
    Although I do really like the Stinger one out now.

Thanks again

• what he said..... :00010166:

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Welcome.
    If you are looking for ease of access and easy removal you really need to look at the top @Ruptured Duck is making/selling.

• The Twist Dynamics has the gull wing top which some of us have gotten. Here are a couple pictures. Get with @slingshotjimmy at Slingshot Only. I'm sure he can make you a deal.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• My buddy has made roll cages for Rock crawlers and King of the Hammers rigs. We made this in a few hours. I don't think it will help much in a high speed accident but i think it's safer than the hoops.
    The stock seat belts need an upgrade also.

• @Thomas Sleight
    That's pretty sweet. I especially like the grab bar for entry/egress.

Well done

@Thomas Sleight I like that you welded in mounts for after market mirrors. They look higher and more easily adjustable.

Would also be curios where you mounted the angled down tubes in the back - looks like they are mounted to the existing roll hoop mounts.

Opens up the space - is visibility better? Also gives extra room to mount some speaker pods!