New approach for a SlingShot top...

• I have the first prototype of the top. It is not like the top he is putting into production. He has since made the top alot lighter and it attaches a lot easier on his final version. The production top will have plenty of room from what I have seen.

I am currently modifying the brackets on my prototype to allow for more room. I am going to have the top ready to install on mine hopefully before bike week in Panama City Beach which is the end of April. When you get a production version I'm sure it will be tall enough for just about everyone.

will be interesting to see what you have done @rabtech
    Please keep in mind his was the development mule. He also has taken it and modified it to his needs and taste. Something one-offs are easier to do with. Haven't seen the results yet but I'm glad he liked the idea and design enough to run it.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• will be interesting to see what you have done @rabtechPlease keep in mind his was the development mule. He also has taken it and modified it to his needs and taste. Something one-offs are easier to do with. Haven't seen the results yet but I'm glad he liked the idea and design enough to run it.

As @rabtech and I BAKED at Thunder Beach in Panama City we both agreed your top was the ONLY way to go for us and would make it work no matter what...so cool to see it go from an idea in your head to production!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• will be interesting to see what you have done @rabtechPlease keep in mind his was the development mule. He also has taken it and modified it to his needs and taste. Something one-offs are easier to do with. Haven't seen the results yet but I'm glad he liked the idea and design enough to run it.

You design is more than easy enough to like. Never doubt that.

If height were to be an issue, I would also very much like to see what you've done @rabtech. But, I'm not worried, cause he loves to share his ideas, lol.

• Yes, still planning on being there. Still planning on having this fantastic looking top if it is available by then.
    Has then been speed tested at the over 100 mph range? Wait, silly question @rabtech has one...

@Texas T this is where future liability issues could come into play. Let's try to answer this in a creative way. I'll use some classic Star Trek references for @Nemesis1701 sake.
    If 1's are 10's and 10's 100's than this past weekend it was tested to 11.5 mph
    I have tested it to speed and this includes constat highway speeds that match the higher end of traffic flow. This was also behind large trucks and turbulent air. With buffeting at speed minimal top movement happens even with it's semirigid construction. It acts much like a Jeep top in this respect.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @Texas T this is where future liability issues could come into play. Let's try to answer this in a creative way. I'll use some classic Star Trek references for @Nemesis1701 sake.If 1's are 10's and 10's 100's than this past weekend it was tested to 11.5 mph
    I have tested it to speed and this includes constat highway speeds that match the higher end of traffic flow. This was also behind large trucks and turbulent air. With buffeting at speed minimal top movement happens even with it's semirigid construction. It acts much like a Jeep top in this respect.

So, what about Gusting winds & 2 lane traffic?

We get winds in the Prairies in around 50 - 70 kph all the time. I find these winds, while meeting oncoming traffic such as semi's and panel vans, is what creates the worst issues that are visible on those flappy fenders.

They would have to be a concern for pretty much all tops as well.

• So, what about Gusting winds & 2 lane traffic?

We get winds in the Prairies in around 50 - 70 kph all the time. I find these winds, while meeting oncoming traffic such as semi's and panel vans, is what creates the worst issues that are visible on those flappy fenders.

They would have to be a concern for pretty much all tops as well.

How about some mesh vent options. Sewn on the forward side with Velcro on the other. Kind of a roof blow off valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• @MBMedic and @Texas T both good questions.
    High cross winds I have to assume will be fine. I don't have that type of issue here in GA but have driven in about 30+ at some points. The top is all open so the chances are small regarding an issue but I have to be honest and say that I have no test data to prove otherwise. I have driven a soft top CJ7 across country and had to deal with what you are taking about. When I opened the windows it greatly decreases the problem so I do understand your concern. The problem is that we can discuss all types of what if type issues and try to solve all of them but end up either walking away from the product or ending up with something nobody will buy.
    Based off no negative stories regarding other top designs and the cross winds I believe we will be good.
    As for the mesh.... :rolleyes::D:thumbsup: that is another optional part of this design. Coming soon.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @MBMedic and @Texas T both good questions.
    High cross winds I have to assume will be fine. I don't have that type of issue here in GA but have driven in about 30+ at some points. The top is all open so the chances are small regarding an issue but I have to be honest and say that I have no test data to prove otherwise. I have driven a soft top CJ7 across country and had to deal with what you are taking about. When I opened the windows it greatly decreases the problem so I do understand your concern. The problem is that we can discuss all types of what if type issues and try to solve all of them but end up either walking away from the product or ending up with something nobody will buy.
    Based off no negative stories regarding other top designs and the cross winds I believe we will be good.
    As for the mesh.... :rolleyes::D:thumbsup: that is another optional part of this design. Coming soon.

Shucks....here I was all set to offer to "test this issue" for you, lol

You just go ahead and send up another prototype, lol

• the odd things you find out about the SlingShot making stuff for it.

It appears the driver's side mirror mount is about 1/2" higher than the passenger side.... Strange.
    Confirmed it on mine and just got back from the dealer to measure 4 others. Was driving me nuts because one side of my top looked higher than the other. I now know why... Funny
    8|

(Slingshot Owners Group)

It appears the driver's side mirror mount is about 1/2" higher than the passenger side.... Strange.
    Confirmed it on mine and just got back from the dealer to measure 4 others. Was driving me nuts because one side of my top looked higher than the other. I now know why... Funny
    8|

Hey, @KayTwo - your mirrors aren't even. How's your OCD doing with that knowledge?

8|

There are a lot of pars that are different from left to right.
    We made some templates for decals and could not just reverse them for the opposite side, had to modify them
    The guy I was working with said that is was worse than any ford he ever worked on!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• if anyone is interested or has free time Im going to post up how to measure your SS. I would like to see if others can confirm or debunk my thinking here.

It's frustrating because I have designed everything to be able to swap left tot right to reduce cost and complexity. I have a simple fix that want delay things I just need to see how it looks. Otherwise I'm going to need to make two different length A-pillar arms. This opens up a chance for confusion during installation and warranty claims.

See guys.... It ain't all fun and games. Stress, stress, stress

(Slingshot Owners Group)