Getting New SLR Tuesday

• For me, the less room the better. She has finally figured out how to pack light. After traveling on a Yamaha Venture Royale, Kawasaki nomad, Kawi VN2000 and a Goldwing, She has finally figured out that she doesn't need to carry EVERYTHING!!! AND if she really needs to have it, the shop can mail it home to us and it'll be waiting when we get there. :thumbsup:

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Welcome to the family,

#1 pics or didn’t happen

#2 ask the question and you get answers

#3 we are REALLY GOOD at helping you spend your money

#4 if you need help, get on here, we will do our best

#5 slow down on wet roads, slingshots like to hydroplane QUICK

#6 Most important, have a safe ride and have fun

JUST MY $.02

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• I did use the compartment's for the first trips but I packed the clothes in the compartment, (The wife one side and the other side for me) like a suit case. We had plenty of room for a weeks ride, but nothing else, that was why I built the luggage racks to use with the 10 inch x 20 or 22 inch tube bags and it gave us more room to carry more or buy something.

Thanks, do you have a picture of your luggage racks? Thanks

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Ok, I thought I would get some responses like... Hold the round thing. push the left thing, move the little knob.. Hold on.... :)

But for some serious questions from my little pea brain.... I asked the local dealer and basically got the ? look....

1.If it rains overnight do the seats dry or does one get wet butt in the morning?

2. The little cubby next to the parking brake, can I leave my phone in there or does it get to warm?

3. The storage behind the seat, is it large enough to fit a back pack? (Like a computer back pack with my clothes and stuff)

4. On a lighter note if it rains really hard do I need a swim suit? (does the cockpit fill with water) That was not a real question.

5. The onboard Ride Command system, A is the GPS as good as the high end Garmin Motorcycle Gps's? Can you mute the sound from the GPS and still have music? Will the turn by turn directions and music come into my Sena 20sEvo?

Thanks again.

Edited once, last by billythekidd ().

• # 2 - If you leave your phone in there and it rains, the phone will be flooded (no drain) # 3 the lap top is the last thing that I put in the compartment

For #2. I was wondering about the heat, since I have read that the trans tunnel gets pretty warm. #3. The laptop was on a reference to the size of the bag.

• Here's a couple of pics:

And here's a link to a thread:

Luggage Racks Anyone?

But you're going to want to drive it a while a look at all that's available before making decisions. Many mods affect or interfere with others. For instance, if you are considering a top, that could affect the fitment and/or function of these racks. They will work with some tops, won't work with some, and can be modified to work with others. You may catch the mod flu, with no known cure, in which case you are in the right place! We'll help you spend your kid's inheritance in nothin' flat!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• billythekidd the storage compartment is fine for a phone, I've used it for my iphone. Seats may be damp, just use a towel or old shirt to wipe them out, the seats are waterproof and the angle causes them to drain well.

I keep a rain suit in my sling, any good motorcycle suit that is thin will do the trick

I've put my backpack with laptop (macbbook pro) in the storage compartments, but I wouldn't without a good padded setup. My laptop stays in a padded neoprene sleeve and I put that into my padded backpack. The stock coilover / shocks make for a bit of a bumpy ride for a laptop.

I'm in NE Texas, north of Paris, so about 50 miles north of the i-20 path, I'd be happy to help you change your oil if it works out for you and you want to swing by. PM me if interested and we'll coordinate.

If it's too far out of the way, I would expect any oil change place could help you, but you may have to supply your own filter, I like the K&N 7000 filter. I doubt any of them would have it.

• 1. Seats are pretty good at drying. But yeah, a quick towel may be needed.

2. While driving, you can put your phone there, but it does get a little warm. Shouldn't hurt your phone while driving, but don't leave it there when you get out. I would actually recommend standing up the phone between the emergency brake and the cubby wall on edge.

3. Will fit a normal school size back pack, but not much more.

4. Buy yourself a rain suit and put it in the cubby right behind the driver's seat. There is a depression there that fits a rain suit just about perfect. But if you're driving in the rain, a full face helmet will be needed more which also just about fills up that cubby. But no, water drains out of the SS as fast as it goes in - lots of holes to let everything drain.

5. Nope, RideComand is never as good as a high end GPS. But it'll do what you need to do (find the major roads to get you home.)

Some other things:

1. You'll want to change your engine oil soon after 500 miles. This is to get the metal shaving out of the engine. You won't die if it's a little longer, but don't go too long. I also like the K&N filter (I bought a case on ebay). Also make sure to lube all your zerk fittings, especially the drive shaft u-joints and check all nuts to ensure they are tight - especially the rear axle double nuts. (BTW, all the above is the "500 mile service" that the dealers want to charge you $300 to do.)
    2. You'll want to change the rear angle drive oil somewhere around 1500 miles. Again, really simple, but you'll need a larger 8mm metric allen wrench. Easy to drain and uses about a quart of SAE80-90W Gear oil. That's also to get metal shaving out as Polaris "lets the gears do the final machining themselves". You'll see that old oil is iridescent from all the metal particles.
    3. There were be a few special tools you'll want to get:
      1. 32mm socket for the oil filter. See the amazon link above.
      2. 30mm socket for the rear angle drive for belt adjustment (I didn't do mine until about 7K miles).
      3. A good set of Torx (star) bits. You'll use these. A LOT.
      4. A set of larger metric Allen wrenches Everything from 3mm to 10mm is used somewhere.
      5. Other than that, a common home mechanics set should cover everything you need to do.

Now, I've got to ask another question: Why did you buy all the way in Georgia and then have to drive back to Colorado? ~1500 miles is a long haul for a first drive back.

• Is that oil from the factory what they call break in oil?

I can change my oil without jacking it up. You can see the drain plug at the front right corner of the oil pan by leaning in over the passenger tire. By putting one leg inside the tire I could reach down with a ratchet and socket to take it out.

• Hey buddy, thank you for the answers to the questions. Price.. Brand new 2019 SLR ( 3 Miles on odo) for 22999. Dealer had a fire and is trying to get rid of all the stock that was not in the building at the time of the fire. He said they were selling it at cost.

Edited once, last by billythekidd ().

• billythekidd

Not to be a smartass...

Due to the nature of the driving requirements you about to encounter with your new Slingshot returning home.

Read the owner's manual...

Specifically, the engine and drivetrain break-in recommendations.

Touch base with the operations section.

And...

Enjoy that Slingshot you stole! :00007983:

And, no... the manual doesn't say a damn thing about break-in oils!

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• If you hit rainy/wet roads, drive carefully. Slow down. Wide tires & light weight increases the chances of hydroplaning. Don't ask me how I know this! Even 40 mph can be way too fast during heavy rain.

Depending on your route back to Colorado, if you end up on I-40 thru Memphis towards Conway, AR and then take 65 up to Marshall. The take 27 to Harriet and then 14 to Dodd City. After Dodd City, stay on 14 until you can take 125 across the lake into Missouri, staying on 125 until you hit I-70. It sounds like a bit of a pain getting to 125, but it's a fantastic ride for most of the way up to I-44.

• If you hit rainy/wet roads, drive carefully. Slow down. Wide tires & light weight increases the chances of hydroplaning. Don't ask me how I know this! Even 40 mph can be way too fast during heavy rain.

Depending on your route back to Colorado, if you end up on I-40 thru Memphis towards Conway, AR and then take 65 up to Marshall. The take 27 to Harriet and then 14 to Dodd City. After Dodd City, stay on 14 until you can take 125 across the lake into Missouri, staying on 125 until you hit I-70. It sounds like a bit of a pain getting to 125, but it's a fantastic ride for most of the way up to I-44.

Thanks for the hydroplaning advice... All new to me... on my Sypder it handles the rain pretty good, but does hydroplane as well.So when you are running on the interstate... and it rains do you drop off the interstate.. On the route you mentioned, how is the flooding. The only reason I am going home the way I am is due to the stuff I see on TV regarding the flooding. I normally never take an interstate to where I am going. I know a few years ago I was on my way to Kentucky Lake and the bridge had been damaged and I had to take the Ferry from Dorena, MO to Hickman, KY. They told me just two weeks earlier the road I was on was under 4 feet of water...