Getting New SLR Tuesday

• Ok, newby here picking up a 2019 SLR on Tuesday. I am going to be driving it back from Georgia to Colorado. I would appreciate any tips that might help make it a problem free drive.

Thanks

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Welcome billythekidd !!!

Take a rain suit and plan on lots of questions from people at most stops.

I got my first one here, drove my second one from NC, and my wife’s from West Palm Beach FL. No issues.

If you are coming up I-49 through NW AR, PM me and I’ll get you my info. I live in Rogers AR. Maybe some of us could meet up with you on the way.

BTW, MO is still requiring a helmet but in four years I have never worn one there. Even passed a highway patrolman who gave me a thumbs up.

• Thanks for the info. I have a 2018 Can-Am Spyder as well (Premium only). I guess I should have mentioned I have been riding since I was 16 (just retired).

I will be going along I 20 and cutting NW near Dallas. I was going to take the more northern route, but have seen so much about flooding I thought I would avoid that area for now.

The 500 mile oil change.. biggie or can it wait until I get back to Colorado?

• Welcome billythekidd !!!

Take a rain suit and plan on lots of questions from people at most stops.

I got my first one here, drove my second one from NC, and my wife’s from West Palm Beach FL. No issues.

If you are coming up I-49 through NW AR, PM me and I’ll get you my info. I live in Rogers AR. Maybe some of us could meet up with you on the way.

BTW, MO is still requiring a helmet but in four years I have never worn one there. Even passed a highway patrolman who gave me a thumbs up.

Darrell forgot to mention one thing ......

..... wink-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• The 500 mile oil change.. biggie or can it wait until I get back to Colorado?

I don't feel that it has to be done right at 500 but I would not go 1,600 miles before doing it. I'd think about getting it done along the way. All you need is 5 qts of synthetic oil, a filter, filter and drain plug sockets, a drain pan and a flat spot. It can be done in a few minutes. If you determine your route, I'll bet there is a forum member along the way that would loan you a flat spot, an oil pan and tools. It can be done for about $35, saving you from the dealer charge which I believe starts around $150 and can be as much as $250, not to mention the scheduling issue.

Here is the type of socket that works with the cartridge filter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Congratulations and welcome to the club! If you were just one week later you could stop by Huntsville, AL for the inaugural event for Slingshot Owners Group, a free membership that you can sign up for at https://www.slingshotownersgroup.com/.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• The 500 mile oil change.. biggie or can it wait until I get back to Colorado?

I would think you would be fine. Just drive it easy for that first trip and like mentioned above get a rain suit as it's going to be nasty in GA on Tuesday.

Since you have a Can-Am I assume you already have a full face mask, but if not I would highly recommend getting one especially for a trip that long in the rain.

Welcome to the community!

• The bummer is I am flying to GA and do not have enough room baggage wise to carry tools and such. Thanks for the info on the socket... I will get one as the Can-AM is a 36mm socket. Just curious, is the drain plug easy to get at?

• Welcome billythekidd !

You're going to love your new SLR! As others have said, take it easy on the first drive, that's harder than it sounds! Try not to use the cruise control, Polaris (and GM) recommend you vary speeds and don't jam on the accelerator, try not to bounce off the rev limiter! Drop off the interstate some and enjoy the attention you get on local roads!

If you're traveling alone, a small cooler in the front seat with water, soft drinks is helpful, and yes, sunscreen! I just did a trip from Arkansas to San Antonio Texas, no problems! The SLR seats are extremely comfortable.

I'll second dangerdarrell 's suggestion - cruise through northwest Arkansas! I live in the same area. You are welcome to spend the night here, room to spare at the ranch and lots of nice riding areas!

Enjoy the ride!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• SlingLow I never thought about him stopping along the way at a members location to put some fresh oil in. Good idea sir!

The people on here are so friendly and accommodating that I'm not sure I want them to meet me! Something that I did not expect on an online forum. People here are the real deal billythekidd and if someone offers to help it's because they want to, and are willing to help.

If you need to haul luggage on this trip, check out the roll hoop bags offered by MeanSling.com and AllThingsSlingshot.com. They are designed specifically for the Slingshot.

• The people on here are so friendly and accommodating that I'm not sure I want them to meet me! Something that I did not expect on an online forum. People here are the real deal billythekidd and if someone offers to help it's because they want to, and are willing to help.

If you need to haul luggage on this trip, check out the roll hoop bags offered by MeanSling.com and AllThingsSlingshot.com. They are designed specifically for the Slingshot.

Are you taking about the Roll Bar luggage bags? Do the bags sag when full? I was looking at the Baker system with the swing out attachment for putting in Gas... I am really grateful for any info you folks have.

• Are you taking about the Roll Bar luggage bags? Do the bags sag when full? I was looking at the Baker system with the swing out attachment for putting in Gas... I am really grateful for any info you folks have.

Yes, those bags. I use mine with a set of luggage racks that I make and sell but many use the MeanSling bags for long distance travel without issue. The straps are designed to attach securely to the hoops so they do not contact the rear deck. The AllThingsSlngshot bags are new in the last week and I haven't heard any feedback on them yet but I'm sure the performance is similar.

The drain plug can be reached easily and I do my oil changes on the ground, without lifting the Sling for access.

• Yes, those bags. I use mine with a set of luggage racks that I make and sell but many use the MeanSling bags for long distance travel without issue. The straps are designed to attach securely to the hoops so they do not contact the rear deck. The AllThingsSlngshot bags are new in the last week and I haven't heard any feedback on them yet but I'm sure the performance is similar.

The drain plug can be reached easily and I do my oil changes on the ground, without lifting the Sling for access.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

• If you can make it work take the offer from NW Arkansas it is my second favorite riding spot. Sounds like a room is available and you could change your oil and make time for some great riding while there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Welcome billythekidd !

You're going to love your new SLR! As others have said, take it easy on the first drive, that's harder than it sounds! Try not to use the cruise control, Polaris (and GM) recommend you vary speeds and don't jam on the accelerator, try not to bounce off the rev limiter! Drop off the interstate some and enjoy the attention you get on local roads!

If you're traveling alone, a small cooler in the front seat with water, soft drinks is helpful, and yes, sunscreen! I just did a trip from Arkansas to San Antonio Texas, no problems! The SLR seats are extremely comfortable.

I'll second dangerdarrell 's suggestion - cruise through northwest Arkansas! I live in the same area. You are welcome to spend the night here, room to spare at the ranch and lots of nice riding areas!

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks, I have never been on a forum that the folks are this nice.

• Are you taking about the Roll Bar luggage bags? Do the bags sag when full? I was looking at the Baker system with the swing out attachment for putting in Gas... I am really grateful for any info you folks have.

The rack type should be according to the type of bags that you would be carrying. In my opinion the smaller the better and you could leave them on all of the time. If you could find one of my racks or talk to SlingLow about one of the racks he makes and sells. I forgot to say that the racks will easily accomadate up to the medium size Sissy Bar bags easily and or a 6 or 12 packer cooler.

• Welcome to the family billythekidd.

It doesn't look like you'll have enough time to buy bags online before your trip, so just figure on putting you stuff on the passenger floor and seat. I traveled that way a few times and it worked pretty good as long as I kept my stuff in water tight bags (garbage bags).

If you see a rain cloud in the way, suit up. In the slingshot there's no wind to dry you out so once you get wet you stay wet. Also don't be afraid to slow down! Fat tires and puddles don't play well together.

Like others have said, the oil change is easy to do on the ground. The drain plug is in the right front corner and can be reach from above. Some folks have taken theirs to Jiffylube type places and pulled in the exit side of the bay, then backed out when the change is done.

You're trip is going to be a lot of fun, and if you post up your route there's a good chance you'll get some company along the way.

When we rode from El Paso to Knoxville last year to pick up Nuc'em all we had were the two MeanSling roll bags and the bags that go behind the seats, in the little cubby holes. We had plenty of room for all of our gear.

The rollbags held their shape very well. We have used them several times since and wouldn't think of traveling without them. I thought seriously about getting luggage racks. But, think that they spoil the lines of the Sling. It's all about the looks, and performance, and fun!

This was half way thru the trip. I'm mostly carrying tools and spairs that came with the purchase of the scoot. My wifes' on the right is all clothes and gurly stuff.

This is why you need the bags, expecially when traveling with the significant other.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I did use the compartment's for the first trips but I packed the clothes in the compartment, (The wife one side and the other side for me) like a suit case. We had plenty of room for a weeks ride, but nothing else, that was why I built the luggage racks to use with the 10 inch x 20 or 22 inch tube bags and it gave us more room to carry more or buy something.