• here is one for a trike, looks just like the FOBO from what I can see and it uses an app so it has all of the same issues, but only $50 it is a lot less expensive

SYKIK Rider SRTP630, tire pressure monitoring system for Trikes and 3 wheelers

At that price I might even give it a try

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Bigdog If you've had to clear the sensors and re-associate before, that's just another reason I don't want to buy the Fobo.

Edward Neal I've been tempted to buy one of the cheapo's like that, I'm just worried about reliability, and if a big name brand like Fobo can't get it right, I'm worried about the cheap knock-offs.

Found this one today on ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/TPMS-…ernal-Sensor/283280450220 and for $30, it's worth a gamble, but I'm not going to put them in my SS, but on one of the cars that already has TPMS (dummy light only) to test it.

• Once they are set up there usually isn’t a problem.

I have to reset them when I remove them so they don’t disappear when I leave my SS at the dealer. And I changed dead batteries in them which requires a reset.... it’s not hard to reset them....you tap on the square in the app....remove the sensor for 8 seconds and put it back on and hold your phone on it so it can recommunicate...

My tire shop had to reset my pickup tires when I bought new ones or when they get rotated.....

I read the reviews on that ebay system....people are complaining about the unit getting melted sitting on the dashboard...

• I did break down and buy the cheapo one on ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/TPMS-…ernal-Sensor/283280450220

I'm going to test it in a car first and if it works out, I'll buy another and put in the SS. I plan to mount it under the dash, to the right of the instrument cluster. I'll likely have to make some type of adapter to put it there, but this thing isn't going to be waterproof and due to heat issues, I don't want it in the sun. Plus, under there will be out of the way and be within easy eyesite if it does alarm.

Once I get it into the car, will post up a review of it.

• Installed the cheapo ebay TPMS today in the car, and to truly test things, I installed it on 3 wheels. Installation was pretty easy and took a 30 minute drive into town to test it out.

7882VE8.jpg

This Nissan wants 36 lbs in each tire, and this pic was 15 minutes into the drive. It gives a small alarm every 15 minutes, letting me know that one tire is offline.

As I was putting them in the tires, I left one at 25 and let the unit update, it let off an alarm and flashed the screen for about 30 seconds, then the alarm silenced and it flashed the screen. I didn't see how long it was going to go.

Now for the reliability test, to see if it works well over a few weeks, but initial impression is very good.

It comes from China of course, it defaults to Celsius and bar, so just going into the menu to change those, and set the low/high of air pressure and temperature alerts and you are up and going.

I'm going to need to device a mount for this, plan to put it under the dash, to the right of the instrument cluster. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do this, probably buy a couple pieces of lexan and fashion something.

Ideas are welcome!

• wokka

Just a thought, can you put TWO monitors in the rear tire? This would give you redundant data, but at least the sensor would see pressure and temp and not sound the "flat tire" alarm all the time.

No idea how these are installed, but I do know the system wants data from a sensor, this would be a way to give it data and perhaps silence the alarm without trying to reprogram the unit, etc.

Doc

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• wokka

Just a thought, can you put TWO monitors in the rear tire? This would give you redundant data, but at least the sensor would see pressure and temp and not sound the "flat tire" alarm all the time.

No idea how these are installed, but I do know the system wants data from a sensor, this would be a way to give it data and perhaps silence the alarm without trying to reprogram the unit, etc.

Doc

Not unless you have 2 valve stems.

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• False reading because they’re cheap?

Low battery voltage?

RF inteferance blocking the signal?

So far, not a problem with that, I have about 300 miles on the new tires with them. I also have about 1000 miles on the car with this installed with no problems.

They are cheap, time will tell. For $30, I'm gambling on it.

• Theortically you could connect two TPMS to a wheel. There are two types of TPMS sensors, the ones that go internal like I have (and most OEM setups), and then there are the aftermarket ones that attach to the valve stem.

You could put an internal sensor set inside the wheel, and then put on the valve stem sensors. I wouldn't do it personally, but you could.

While I'm worried about my wheel/tire health, I'm not THAT worried.

• Just out of curiosity, those that have experienced a flat tire on their SlingShot, how did the SlingShot react? Was the flat tire obvious?

Thanks,

Bill

Not yet but.....the low profile tires have heavier side walls for that reason and for handling so it doesn’t roll off the rim in hard cornering. That’s the reason I bought the TPMS because you can’t easily tell if they are flat.

Years ago I had a flat back tire on a motorcycle. I had aluminum wheels. I was able to ride about 12 miles home on the flat tire. It never ruined the tire, the tube or the rim. It never came off the rim and I could drive it about 35 miles an hour.... it got real squirrelly leaning into turns so I had to do that really slow....straight away it was like nothing was wrong.

Unless it comes off the rim you probably wouldn’t know....

• Not yet but.....the low profile tires have heavier side walls for that reason and for handling so it doesn’t roll off the rim in hard cornering. That’s the reason I bought the TPMS because you can’t easily tell if they are flat.

Years ago I had a flat back tire on a motorcycle. I had aluminum wheels. I was able to ride about 12 miles home on the flat tire. It never ruined the tire, the tube or the rim. It never came off the rim and I could drive it about 35 miles an hour.... it got real squirrelly leaning into turns so I had to do that really slow....straight away it was like nothing was wrong.

Unless it comes off the rim you probably wouldn’t know....

hm.... I can even tell when my tires are low on air(like 10 psi lower than the recommended lv) so I am totally baffled as to how anyone claims that they could not know they had a flat.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• hm.... I can even tell when my tires are low on air(like 10 psi lower than the recommended lv) so I am totally baffled as to how anyone claims that they could not know they had a flat.

I have had absolutely no experience with low profile tires, like on the SlingShot, so I wouldn't be surprised if I were told that the short sidewalls are stiff enough where they may be difficult in detecting a flat, thus the reason for the question.

Bill

• wjfyfe

All my vehicles except the Jeep have low profile tires and at least on bridgestones/bfgoodrich(brands of tires I buy since its what Costco carries) I can confidently say based on first hand experience that you have to be dead not to tell the difference.

Unless you have run flat tires(which are a complete separate EXPENSIVE mess) you absolutely will notice low profile tires being low/flat even faster than reg ones.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• hm.... I can even tell when my tires are low on air(like 10 psi lower than the recommended lv) so I am totally baffled as to how anyone claims that they could not know they had a flat.

Years ago my car had a rear flat tire and I was going 70 miles an hour on it without any indication of its condition until a guy pulled along side and pointed to the back end....unless it’s acting squirrelly swerving around ....the difference would be how straight the road is...I was on an expressway without radical turns like driving in town...

Not saying it wouldn’t have sooner or later cut the tire and been on the rim throwing sparks...