How To: Group Ride

• I've been leading rides on 2 wheels for nearly 3 decades. My personal take is this.... keep it a tight group with lower numbers and preferably people that you know and trust. That is the easiest. I prefer no more than 6 behind me, but have done rides with many more. Myself and one other guy still put on a ride in September every year, as a benefit to some local needing person or family. We have dealt with up to 100 bikes, and at that point it's not really as much fun as it is work. But it's for a good cause, so we continue to do it.

But with all the rules, and the people that have no idea what it's like to ride in a group.... that leaves me and my wife to be mainly Lone Wolf riders, both in the Slingshot or on the Harleys.

I think my SS was on 2 wheels most the turns. Arms were wore out fighting that damn thing.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• I was just thinking here, would it be worthwhile to offer driver skill classes at our events?
    We could give lessons and advice, let them follow to learn how to use a groove in cornering, even if your not wanting to go fast its nice to know about handling of apex and breaking. Its all about learning for self improvement.

Would there be any interest???????

Yes!!! I am a newer driver and would love to accelerate my learning curve. I consider myself cautiously aggressive in that I love spirited driving and hammering the twisties, but do not want to wreck. Therefore, my 'pushing the envelope' comes in stages as I gain experience and confidence. The one group ride I've been on with only 3 Slingshots was very entertaining and useful as I was able to follow @BryanL through corners at pace with confidence I wouldn't have had on my own. With @LargeCar bringing up the rear, I was really able to focus on my driving and keeping pace with Bryan through the corners. Just like skiing, quadding, and many other speed sports, running with a more skilled person can increase your skill and confidence much more quickly!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Yes!!! I am a newer driver and would love to accelerate my learning curve. I consider myself cautiously aggressive in that I love spirited driving and hammering the twisties, but do not want to wreck. Therefore, my 'pushing the envelope' comes in stages as I gain experience and confidence. The one group ride I've been on with only 3 Slingshots was very entertaining and useful as I was able to follow @BryanL through corners at pace with confidence I wouldn't have had on my own. With @LargeCar bringing up the rear, I was really able to focus on my driving and keeping pace with Bryan through the corners. Just like skiing, quadding, and many other speed sports, running with a more skilled person can increase your skill and confidence much more quickly!

Doug, I saw absolutely nothing lacking in your driving abilities. However, getting expert help and advise is always a good thing. Thinking of next week taking a buzz up around Detroit lake and invite you to ride along, maybe we can get Brian to join in.

LC

• I think it would be great to meet up there on the Monday or Tuesday of Eureka Springs, then follow on to the event with some good stories.

I got into Eureka Springs on Monday --- road a little (after 660 miles getting there) that evening. On Tue and Wed did a lot of leisure riding.

• Great post....

• Lots of good shared information in this thread. Coming from riding super sport bikes, I've learned to keep my riding to a group maximum of six. Any groups larger than that have led to stragglers, accidents, and sometimes--new to midlevel riders being overwhelmed when getting into those nice twisting curves, especially when they are back to back requiring almost complete drop ins and a higher skill level. It seems that everyone is a racer on the straightway and dying to pass. Racing cars, not of the ricer variety, is always a good ride with the right group of people (as long as none have watched Fast & Furious lol).

Being new to the sling, I know she has a handling learning curve on her own. She will require that I put hours and miles of seat time. It will require that I take her out on runs alone to hone in my skills. So often I have found new riders, not necessarily newbie riders, rushing to acquire a quick, steep and dangerous learning curve. That can lead to the jeopardy of all in the ride, and the driver themselves. I've seen too many motorcycle traumas, called too many times out for time of death. It always makes me shiver a bit and my respect for what I do when riding can easily translate into a loss for my family. SO, not to be a downer, the number one goal of all rides is safety, followed by ensuring that we all leave and all return. An experience lead is critical, as well as an experienced tail. Communication between the two is crucial when a driver breaks down or fails to negotiate a curve. They are also good to have when someone is late and doesn't fill up and runs out of gas because they think being 10 more minutes late is more convenient than sidetracking the ride for 30-45 minutes while a fuel can is purchased, along with gas, the trip to and back for fuel *sigh*. The rider's meeting the day prior or morning of is really essential in making an enjoyable ride. I tend to keep a GPS on dash at times to make sure I can see the road ahead but on a bike, things come up too quick, so memorizing the ride is more valuable for me. I think it will be a good tool in the sling.

In the end, I'm always up for learning. I know the variation of taking a turn on two vs three wheels will be different. I know that entering a curve and exiting one at a high rate of speed will take a while getting use to. In the end, with this riding community willing to share it will be a continuous sharing of rider's knowledge and experience. In the end, I hope to look forward to riding with a group of 20 slings during a Texas Hill Country outing

Excellent post Ross, and excellent contributing comments...

• An additional tip; don't make a turn until the vehicle behind you can see the turn.

Uh, what? Not sure I get this? So, if the vehicle behind me can't see the turn, I don't make it? And go.... straight? Followed by off the road or into the other lane? The only way I get this is if there is a turn OFF you want to make, and the vehicle behind you doesn't appear to see your intentions. If on a twisty road, I'll watch the one behind me best I can, but I hope and trust they are riding within their limits. I will not avoid turning if the road turns... that is on the rider behind me.

• Uh, what? Not sure I get this? So, if the vehicle behind me can't see the turn, I don't make it? And go.... straight? Followed by off the road or into the other lane? The only way I get this is if there is a turn OFF you want to make, and the vehicle behind you doesn't appear to see your intentions. If on a twisty road, I'll watch the one behind me best I can, but I hope and trust they are riding within their limits. I will not avoid turning if the road turns... that is on the rider behind me.

Turn as in not continuing on the same roadway. Example; making a right turn from highway 31 onto Main street.