Slingshot suspension

• I'm not worried about mountain roads, I'm not worried about twisties. I just want to hear from anybody who weights in at around 175 pounds and find out what the sling rides like on the road with that kind of weight on it (standard suspension). The reason I ask this is because I owned a goldwing and with my 175 pounds on it it rode like a dump truck. Just wondering what to expect from a sling. Thanks for your help.

That Damn Steve

• I'm not worried about mountain roads, I'm not worried about twisties. I just want to hear from anybody who weights in at around 175 pounds and find out what the sling rides like on the road with that kind of weight on it (standard suspension). The reason I ask this is because I owned a goldwing and with my 175 pounds on it it rode like a dump truck. Just wondering what to expect from a sling. Thanks for your help.

That Damn Steve

I am around 200 and GF is either 90ish or 110 depending on whether or not she is around when you ask.... stock suspension was crap on good roads and beyond horrible on bad roads

Every imperfection was felt on my lower back, it was so tough on my back that after an hour ride i felt worse than riding my Supersport Ducati.

I switched to the JRI GT shocks and what a night and day difference, almost everything is absorbed by the shocks all those seams that are on the freeway after halfass pothole repairs are no longer a concern. You can hear the shocks working but can't feel any of it.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I'm 6'6" and 250+lbs. it rides like a go cart with no suspension. Got the QA-1 adjustable coil overs and now she rides like my Cadillac.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• I am just over 200 LBS and 6'1" and with my stock Slingshot I have actually enjoyed the ride. its not even close to what my Impala rode like, and I do feel every bump, but I also feel more connected, like I know exactly what every tire is doing. Clearly I cant compare because I havent changed it, but I like a bit of that go-kart no suspension feeling. Its actually one of the things that pulled me toward getting the Slingshot. A million years ago I built go-karts and mini bikes and feeling the road like I now do in the sling takes me back to the smells of gasoline, every little bump in the road and that feeling like you built it from scratch in your own garage with no shocks and no breaks :).

Last thing in the world I would ever want is to have my SL ride like some normal car or even worse like some luxury Cad. I would have never bought it if that was how it going to feel.

My slingshot to me is my chance once again to have that go-kart feel and if I do change out the shocks it will be to have a firmer suspension that increases my ability to feel the road

JMO

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I like your reasoning on an idealistic level but bad/harsh suspension is not good on a bad back, also even though we bought the sling to be a touring vehicle(the other option was a HD Street glide), I have been enjoying the back roads and twisties quite a lot and a good suspension is a must for that.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

Edited once, last by Neosolidus ().

• We installed Bilstein shocks...

Steve says he can tell a difference in stock and the Bilsteins.

Im not exactly sure what difference he feels. It hugs corners, and turns tight.... but its no Escalade...

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• I'm pushing 250 lbs and with the stock suspension crossing slightly elevated railroad tracks caused the Slingshot to be airborne. After adding the Bilsteins, it maintains contact with the road surface w/o really exposing any bumps from the railroad tracks.
    Hahn's QA1 group buy is definitely joining if you can. Good selection at great prices.

• I had my original Sling from Dec of 14 until Maggie Valley this year. (Traded it in while in MV,. Long story in another thread.) put QA-1s on it last year in MV. Ran them on a 6 setting most of the time. Loved the feel. Definitely NOT a Caddie feel. Felt much more like my old Lotus Europa. The first time my wife drove the new SLR she said it didn't handle like the other one and asked when I would be fixing that. JRIs, DDM sway bar, supercharger, new exhaust all coming soon.
    She is buying herself a Sling that we pick up at the end of the month. It has JRIs and Alpha love already. She is looking forward to running against me on the twisties.

• I like your reasoning on an idealistic level but bad/harsh suspension is not good on a bad back, also even though we bought the sling to be a touring vehicle(the other option was a HD Street glide), I have been enjoying the back roads and twisties quite a lot and a good suspension is a must for that.

we are all different- we have all chosen the Slingshot, but we have not necessarily done so for the same reason - "touring vehicle" last thing I ever wanted - I wanted Go-Kart, I wanted the feel of a racing go-kart with a chain saw motor. there is no right or wrong - we are just different. I want RAW, I want to feel the road. And yes I do have a very bad back, b but at 63 I would rather stress that back, and make it work before I would make my sling less of a go-kart than it is

So now to all here - my question - if I were to change suspension - which option would male my Sling feel as much connected as possible? Which option actually lets me feel every little change and gives me total control

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• If I was set on a static drop or adjustability, I would give the vi-king triple (or double... depending) adjustable coil overs a serious look. Quotes I got for three shipped for the SS were less than $800. Hard to beat.

These are used in many other street applications and come highly recommended by other car enthusiasts.

I vote air ride!

Originally I has happy with the stock suspension. The more seat time I have, the more I desire a better ride. It is harsh, rigid and fairly unpleasant.

I weigh 170# and ride mostly solo.

Even with the added weight of mods in the SS, it hasn'nt helped.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• So now to all here - my question - if I were to change suspension - which option would male my Sling feel as much connected as possible? Which option actually lets me feel every little change and gives me total control

I am in the group buy on the QA1's. I drove @Rob the Slob 's SS in Maggie Valley and he has them. He had the rear set on 2, and the ride was nice. It seemed so soak up the bumps well, but still let you feel very connected. I guess like a luxury sport touring feeling. But that was turned down, and it can be changed without tools in about a minute to be more of a sport setting like a Camaro SS or "Vette. That is what sold me on them. The Indiana roads are rather rough overall, and I can leave it set softer for comfort and not to be so harsh on my Sling (and my back). As soon as I get to better roads with twisty turns, I can set them easily for that at that time.

• So now to all here - my question - if I were to change suspension - which option would male my Sling feel as much connected as possible? Which option actually lets me feel every little change and gives me total control

I think you should look into the JRi shocks, primarily the double adjustable clickers. JRi shocks can be tailored to your needs and are racing shocks made specifically for the SlingShot. Lower the front of the SlingShot 1-1 1/2" for better handling. Beyond shocks, tires make a huge difference, you then may want to add a stiffer Sway Bar. You will always feel in control.

• I think you should look into the JRi shocks, primarily the double adjustable clickers. JRi shocks can be tailored to your needs and are racing shocks made specifically for the SlingShot. Lower the front of the SlingShot 1-1 1/2" for better handling. Beyond shocks, tires make a huge difference, you then may want to add a stiffer Sway Bar. You will always feel in control.

Remember that lowering the front end can affect wheel alignment, so a new alignment may be needed, depending on how much you lower the Slingshot.