• Hello all, my name is Shannon & I'm new to the forum. I joined mainly to get you guy's opinions on the Slingshot. I currently ride a DL1000 Vstrom but I'd like to "upgrade" to a Slingshot within 6 months to a year. I love my bike but I'm a little weary of putting my son on the back so I think the Slingshot would be a more "family friendly" option than a true motorcycle. Some of the things I'd like to know are: Do cagers tend to ""see" the Slingshot better than they see bikes? How reliable is it? Is it comfortable on long trips? Is it worth the extra money for the SL model? I'm sure I'll think of more questions but any info is appreciated. Thanks!

• Hi. Welcome to the Forum. I had a GSX 650 before my SS. I have never looked back. I went with the base model because I knew I was going to change and do mods! So for "me" the other version (SL) was a waste of cash. I have a 12 yr old and she LOVES THIS SS - hope this helps some. Here is mines after mods

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Hello all, my name is Shannon & I'm new to the forum. I joined mainly to get you guy's opinions on the Slingshot. I currently ride a DL1000 Vstrom but I'd like to "upgrade" to a Slingshot within 6 months to a year. I love my bike but I'm a little weary of putting my son on the back so I think the Slingshot would be a more "family friendly" option than a true motorcycle. Some of the things I'd like to know are: Do cagers tend to ""see" the Slingshot better than they see bikes? How reliable is it? Is it comfortable on long trips? Is it worth the extra money for the SL model? I'm sure I'll think of more questions but any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Do cagers tend to ""see" the Slingshot better than they see bikes?

The Slingshot is wide in the front and looks like a small car coming at you, but it is still low to the ground and cans sometimes be overlooked. That being said, it is very eye-catching and most people notice it, in my opinion. I also ride bikes, if that means anything to you.

How reliable is it?

I have personally taken a few road trips in it and it hasn't left me stranded yet. It has it's problems and quirks being the first of it's kind from Polaris, but I think it's reliable enough. Any issue you may have is likely not going to leave you sitting on the side of the road.

Is it comfortable on long trips?

My current bike is a 2008 Harley Elctra Glide Ultra Classic. I used to refer to it as my Lazy Boy on 2 wheels. The Slingshot is definitely more comfortable on long trips. Upgrade your seat to PRP suspension seats, and it's even more comfortable.

Is it worth the extra money for the SL model?

Absolutely not! Of course this is my opinion, but you could do all the mods to upgrade past the "amenities" of an SL for less than the cost difference between the two. I bought a base model in 2015 and then purchased Infotainment center and Windshield, essentially making it an SL minus the wheels. I have since gotten rid of the infotainment center and went with a better aftermarket option in my opinion. I'd recommend getting the base and saving the extra cash for mods!

Of course these are all my opinions...

Working on 45,000 miles and no major problems and (NO TRAILER). Unless you have to have a certain color buy the base model and use the difference in money to spend on MODS. Welcome to the forum.

• Couple opinions for you.
    My kids think it a absolute blast, my grandkids love it as well, especially when dropping off at school you definitely get more noticed than a bike, but as stated earlier you sit much lower than a car. I got the 2015 SLLE Edition and totally thinks is bitchin, I liked the options that came with it and especially the colour. I've also added numerous mods on top of the options. So your going to have to check them out and see which one turns your crank. :00000441: Highly recommend taking one for a test drive. :00008698:
    Have fun keep us posted on your decisions :00008674:
    PS if you decide to get one this is the BEST Forum for info and finding Slingshot friends and help

Welcome to the forums, Shannon. Be ready to waste every spare dollar on Mods. Not because you need them, but rather because you'll WANT them :)

I've rode bike for years. Sold it when the kids were young. Went for the Slingshot when my wife said she didn't want a bike because she felt like she would fall off when she fell asleep. So, she and I opted for the Sling.

Last year we did 2 big road trips. Very comfortable. No strain on the shoulders like I've had with the bike after a full day's ride. You will notice right away that people can't help but see you. However, be aware that while they are gawking at you, they may not be watching where they are going. I've seen a couple actual accidents as a direct result, and many near misses. We were always fine. Kinda fun seeing the shoe on the other foot though, I will admit.

I bought the SL LE last year. Best words of wisdom I can impart is to buy a base model. Paint it YOUR way, and put in Your stereo. (Factory has issues that remain unresolved) Invest in seats and Baker Wings to bring air flow into the cabin area. Slingmods.com is going to be both your best friend and your worst enemy. They will always put cool stuff up for sale just when you thought you could hold off on buying your next mod!

Look in the http://slingshotinfo.com/blog/ (builds section) and get lots of ideas on how you want your Sling to look
    Look up Stereo's in the search function to get ideas on systems that are tried & true for the Sling
    Read up in the Polaris Slingshot Tech Center for info on Technical related issues and upgrades you wish to pursue.

This way, when you are ready to pull the trigger, you'll know right out of the gate what you want and where to get the mods you want on it.

Suggested Mod List.... For a base model Sling ...

Stereo
    Paint Job, (your way)
    Baker wings (Consider a taller windshield if you are in or over the 6' range)
    Seats
    Shocks

Even with all of these mods, you will come in close to the same price of the SL with factory stereo system.

Are you a Turbo or Supercharger fan? lol, THAT is a whole new ball of wax.

Enjoy

Welcome @Hammerhead... you came to the right place for answers. And you pose some great questions...
    but, no one can answer the question: Does it fit you?

The Slingshot is not a car... it is not required to meet standards of automobile manufacturers. No airbags, no crush resistant passenger compartments, less stringent EPA requirements, and a weight restriction to meet
    DOT licensing requirements.

It is not a motorcycle... it may be tagged as such in your state, but you are not going to be splitting lanes, riding staggered in same lane, putting your feet down at stops, and you may be challenged for parking in motorcycle only parking spots.

The Slingshot was built from the ground up as trike. So, maybe we should call it sport trike because unlike after market trikes, it contains no motorcycle.

And trikes fill a niche... for me, a bad back was beginning to play havoc with two wheel upright riding. Older folks not so brazen anymore, younger folks who want something different, but not a motorcycle.

The Slingshot is a love it or hate it machine... I love my Slingshot but hate that it's not my Goldwing. Have known some folks that bought a Slingshot and then sold it within the month.

Will the Slingshot fit you? Do your own research. Start with this forum. It will give you an idea of what to expect down the road. Try to get some time in one. Demo ride, or hook up someone who owns one, sit both seats, they are different. Make your own pros and cons list. Get informed.

In the end, it is still two seats, open air, and as dangerous as anything you will meet on the road.

As for visibility... people don't see trains, buses, and tractor trailers... buildings, trees, rocks.

If you want to be seen, don't go into the forest...

And once again, welcome to slingshotinfo forum. 8o

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Welcome to the Half way House . Half cage and half scooter .
    Your pleasure and comfort will vary just as it does on type of Bike or car that you utilize. They are a blast and are certainly seen better than any bike (even to a fault ) many drivers get fixated on the view and get stupid at times.
    Just as any vehicle you can make it what you want including options on the SL being better quality for less money in the aftermarket world than factory price tag.
    Come on in the water is fine !

• Welcome... I Never put my kids, wife on back of my bikes, made them All solo..God for bid something ever happened, but the SLING the kids love...Besides having to watch everyone cause there distracted by Sling, I feel my kids are safe in Machine. They Love it and like watching peoples reactions :thumbsup:

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• My wife and I really enjoy the Slingshot

We use to have a Road King Custom and I always worried about doing something stupid and getting her hurt.

We are both immensely more relaxed and comfortable in the Slingshot.

As for being seen, I have lit up the front so they have no choice but to see me, 6 headlights, upper and lower brow LED lights and they blink with the Turn signal, white and colored LED halos.

I also added an air horn so they can hear me as well.

You can tell the cars see you as you approach.

As others have said, go with the base model if you intend on making any mods / upgrades.

Another suggestion is to consider a used Slingshot.

There are always a few with a 1000 miles or less for sale that have already had some mods. These are a great value.

I also hear dealers have a few '16 models left over and I am sure they would be motivated to move them.

• Heck, before you consider a used unit, come to Canada. Buy a new base model. Right now our dealer has one listed at $23900 Canadian. At our current rate of exchange, that is only $17398.90 US for a brand new Slingshot. Damn our dollar sucks. 1.37....F-You Trump!!!

Most used are running... what? $19000 for a decent one?

• Welcome to the forum! Lucky for you, you stumbled on the best Slingshot forum on the internet! As for your questions, and they are good ones, I can only add my perception on the SS. My wife and I have ridden Harleys for years, decades in fact. On my best year, I put over 21,000 miles between the two Harleys I had at the time. My wife has put 55,000 on her Super Glide Custom, which we bought new just under 12 years ago. I now have only one Harley, a 2012 Road King. We bought the Slingshot just under a year ago. Since that day of purchase, I've put a total of 900 miles on my Harley. She has put 300 miles on hers. We have put 14,000 on the Slingshot. I'm finding myself questioning whether or not to just sell the bikes, as we just haven't been getting them out anymore.

Do cagers tend to ""see" the Slingshot better than they see bikes?

Most people not only see it, but will wave, yell, whistle, drop jaw, and some will even try to get you to stop so they can see it and ask questions about it. This includes, but not limited to, police officers. I've been stopped twice by them, just to look it over and talk to me about it. I've not yet had anyone turn left in front of me, or pull out in front of me. It sits low, but demands attention.

How reliable is it?

Mine has not let me down. I've taken trips, and will be taking on in it in 2 weeks that will put about 3,500 miles on it. I have had some issues, but they have all been minor. If you ever have owned a muscle car, or older fixed up vehicle, think of the SS like that. Quirky is a good way to put it. I still trust mine, but also have a tool kit, zip ties, electrical tape, flashlight and the like behind the seat just like I do with the 2 wheeled bikes. While I know I may need to repair something, I don't expect it to do anything but work the way it should.

Is it comfortable on long trips?

Very! Over Labor Day weekend last year, we took off on Saturday morning about 7am, rode until 8 that night, and only hit 30 miles of interstate. Most all of that day was on 2 and 4 lane highways, going thru the back roads and small town America from Indiana to North Carolina. We did 540 miles that day, and only parked it because the critters were coming out for the evening. I got out, stretched, and didn't feel tried. I'd have taken a beating and struggled over the next couple days ride had I been on my 2012 Road King.

Is it worth the extra money for the SL model?

I bought the SL. I wanted red, wanted the backup camera. I wanted the windshield. Would I buy it again? No. I'm happy with mine, but I could have the backup camera, stereo (both better than stock) bigger wheels and tires, windshield, have some vinyls made in a good color for "Pop", along with other things for less than the difference I paid. There was a dealer in my state that had 3 base leftovers a couple weeks ago that would take $16,669 for. That's almost $8,000 less than I paid for mine. Personally, I'd go for the base and do it my way if I had a do over.

The angle drive is noisy. Think of a 1966 2 and 1/2 ton truck with straight cut gears. Also need to slow way down in wet conditions. The tire patch VS the weight of down force is not good. Just damp roads will dictate slowing down unless going straight. Once the rain causes puddles or running water on the road, things get amplified up a good measure. Hydroplaning is very real, and these will show you. You also are sitting lower, so you get more dirty road spray from the vehicles around you. I carry a Scorpion shorty helmet with the visor that pulls down out of the helmet for this... to keep the dirty wet stuff out of my eyes. Those are the bad things I can think of, but none of them even come close to my next paragraph.

This is a near perfect cross between a convertible sports car, a motorcycle, a go cart, and a 'Vette. The only thing about a bike it resembles is a swing arm, and you are in the wind. It's much more like a car to drive, but DEMANDS attention more than anything I've driven. If you like to blend in unnoticed, this is not for you. I'm not an attention hound, but it doesn't bother me either. I know it's not me they honk at, wave at, grin at and take pics of. I'm just the lucky one that owns and drives it. It gets decent MPG for what it is. I can talk to my wife at 60 MPH. We are sitting side by side, can hold hands if we want. It pulls pretty hard even in stock form, and makes you feel like you're Batman. It goes around corners like it's glued, while still having a good ride overall. And every time.... I mean every single time I get into it, I feel like I did when I was a young lad on Christmas morning! I was told by a friend that had one before I got mine, "If it's not a bind $$$ wise, buy it. You won't regret it." I can honestly say after a year and 14,000 miles... he was absolutely right!

Sorry for the novel. I only put down so much because I wish someone had done the same for me when I was looking.

• I saw my first one this yr at the Chicago Autoshow. I told my wife I would have one within the month. I haven't regretted it once I love it. I've owned lots of performance cars, motorcycles and old cars and this is my favorite by far. I pretty much bought mine before I even saw it.

• interesting side note we went to the Autoshow so my wife could look at a Porsche Panamera. Which I told her I don't think right now is the time to buy a expensive car!

• First off welcome :thumbsup: . Secondly - what they all said. Many of us came from or (as in my case) still have bikes so you're talking to a pretty experienced family here. The only thing I would caution you on is to save your pennies. These things are money pits and the mods and customization options are almost endless ;):( .

• Yes, on the mods to what they said. I didn't mention it, but when I bought mine I was going to just leave it alone, and enjoy it. And I could, but it's worse than even the Harley was. So many good products out there that will improve the experience, I doubt you will be able to resist long.

Looks like QA1 shocks are next up for me....

• I am an newbie here as well. I bought an SLR because I loved the Paint Job, and I knew that some of the other things I liked about it I would have to come out of pocket instead of being part of my note.

There are still a few small, relatively cheap Mods I can make and not be broke for weeks at a time.

I am saving up for an exhaust, and also new shocks, but still loving the ride and all of the fun, questions about it and just the how cool it is overall.

I also owned a motorcycle for many years and this by far beats it hands down...my opinion only 8o

1072 miles so far.

South Louisiana
    Slinghammer