Deal's Gap Dragon Question

• I will be attending the Smokies SS rally (first time), and am curious about this 318 curve 11 mile stretch. I understand the speed limit has been reduced to 30 mph some time ago. With so many turns, the sensation of speed is more pronounced (think roller coaster). I would like to know if this limit is enforced, or do many cycles/vehicles drive much faster if their ability allows. I'm just curious, as being a neophyte to this famous location, I would probably be one of the slower vehicles.

• @rickgi you drive however you like and feel most comfortable. There will be people who driver faster than you and some slower. If you feel like you are holding people up just pull off at any spot safe and let them go by.

Don't worry about your speed and enjoy the ride!!

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• Last year with Maggie Valley Rally with group of 15 on Dragon we got behind Harley Riders doing 15 to 25 mph and upset most of us and I tried to lag back and was told no.
    So you may get stuck behind some going real slow..
    And with the Dragon you have to worry about someone coming the other way and going into your lane with such sharp turns.
    Actually I find other roads much nicer than Dragon with nice windy roads more suited and less traffic congestion than Dragon .
    You can do any back road in Maggie Valley and it will offer turns and views .

• Drive at your own pace and stay in your comfort zone. Most crashes happen from vehicles coming from the other direction crossing the yellow line. I am a ride leader and tell all in my group not to worry about how fast the person in front of you is going. If you do that it can put you in over your head very fast. This goes for all the roads down there not just the tail as all the roads at full of curves. All the leaders are very good at waiting for everyone to get caught up so as not to lose anyone. There are tons of videos on youtube for tail of the dragon if you want to see what its like.

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

• I will be attending the Smokies SS rally (first time), and am curious about this 318 curve 11 mile stretch. I understand the speed limit has been reduced to 30 mph some time ago. With so many turns, the sensation of speed is more pronounced (think roller coaster). I would like to know if this limit is enforced, or do many cycles/vehicles drive much faster if their ability allows. I'm just curious, as being a neophyte to this famous location, I would probably be one of the slower vehicles.

A glimpse at what its about .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I believe one of my rides is the skyway and Dragons tail back to back at the end of that day you will be praying for a straight road lol

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

• Last year was my first year - I can't wait to get back on the Dragon!! The rides were labeled scenic, medium and fast last year - that's not the case this year. I chose medium and loved it. You'll find what you are comfortable with and don't be offended if someone behind you asks to go ahead or passes you (not on the Dragon). I always made the offer to let others go ahead of me - but then they darn well better not be slowing me down. :evil:

• Drive where you're comfortable. Most likely you'll surprise yourself and the slingshot will certainly meet your expectations. There are tons of pull offs on the dragon just for that reason. The only jerk drivers out there are ones who won't pull over :)

• I have been across the dragon probably 50 times on bikes and other toys. I just don't like it. Its to much work and to much risk for too little fun.

The rattler , moonshiner 28 and the skyway are the best roads to run... Before you haul butt across any of these roads you should stop and wait on a few bikes to come thru and see what is waiting on you ahead. A lot of times you can save yourself a ticket if you just ask a few questions....

And remember this little tip.... When you meet a officer you will want to make sure you all adhere to the "herding cats" game plan.... Never heard of that plan? .... Let me explain it.... Pretend you have a box of pissed off feral cats. (I don't know why you would have a box of them, but you do) Now you need to shake up the box of feral cats. (remember were just pretending) Then you turn the box upside down and dump all the feral cats out. Now see if you can herd them all back into the box.... I bet you can't...

Now you know how to react when the blue lights appear.... Like your a feral cat that was just dumped out of a box that was just shook real hard. See yaaaaa......

• In other words @rabtech is saying that you are on your own and he ain't stopping.