Not sure if this is actually Tech??

• So after sitting @ dealer for 4 hrs- service, steering flash, recall I brought up how my hood doesn't close and I always have to PUSH the 2 top corners to latch. I said it's been this way since I bought it. Well tech said it's my BULLET top stopping hood from closing. I said it's been like this from day 1. He was convinced it's the BULLET top bracket. So we loosened bracket tried to pull down and nothing. So , dealer tells me for 2 hrs of labor they can remove hood panels and adjust hood latch (add a shim or 2) and problem fixed. They said due to top, not a warranty item. I can't believe to add a shim I need to remove hood panels, I realize some things Polaris does isn't well engineered??? So let me ask ALL you with BULLET tops, does your hood close? Is dealer full of crap? I don't like the fact I have to push hood down to close all the time...In put fellas..... ?(

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• There are some things you can do to make the hood close a lot better, ask @lrobbi, we did a couple things on his hood during the install. I took some picture and will get a little write up done, hope it will help.

Dave

Sure .. there are things you can do .. adjusting ... loosen then tighten the hinge bolts when closed.... new latches.... your latch braces (which I have and actually caused my hood to stick shut the first time I closed it but after messing with latch alignment they are OK, helps stop hood movement at speed so I left them installed) but point being having to press on the latches is "normal" ..... the hood will close differently if hot, cold, left up for a while, you look at it wrong, or its the second Tuesday of the month ... I don't drop my hood .....sometimes they all latch, sometimes the top two don't, sometimes just one ... but pressing on the latch points should be part of everyone's routine ...

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Sure .. there are things you can do .. adjusting ... loosen then tighten the hinge bolts when closed.... new latches.... your latch braces (which I have and actually caused my hood to stick shut the first time I closed it but after messing with latch alignment they are OK, helps stop hood movement at speed so I left them installed) but point being having to press on the latches is "normal" ..... the hood will close differently if hot, cold, left up for a while, you look at it wrong, or its the second Tuesday of the month ... I don't drop my hood .....sometimes they all latch, sometimes the top two don't, sometimes just one ... but pressing on the latch points should be part of everyone's routine ...

That is a pretty good list, but one thing that is not on that list that we have seen now on almost every Slingshot that has come in to us lately is the hood actually hitting the latch bracket preventing the hood from closing. The problem can actually get worse when you strengthen the bracket by installing our braces or the Alpha/Full Blown replacement brackets. With the bracket stiffened, it can not flex on the end where the hood hits the bracket, preventing the latch mechanism from closing completely. Also, the more that the hood brackets are adjusted up, the worse it gets also. I have not seen anyone post up about this yet, but between trimming the plastic on the hood and adjusting the actual cable going to the latches, we can get the hoods to close very solid. Opening the hoods can be a pain still though since the hoods are so flimsy that they will sometimes flex and bind up and you have to lift the corners sometimes. We are working on the perfect thing to fix that also and if we come up with something will post up about it. We did get some pictures when lrobbi was here and have another Slingshot here that we are taking some pictures with also to do a little writeup, hopefully it will help.

Still a good idea to go around and check that they are all down.

In this picture you can see the place where the hood has been hitting for awhile since it has knocked off the white powdercoat -

Then when you look at the hood, there is evidence that the hood is hitting the bracket on the rounded corner -

The passenger side bracket saw some evidence of hitting the bracket also -

So what we have been doing is trimming some of the plastic on the bottom of the hood at the place where it is making contact with the brackets and it makes a big difference in how the hood closes.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

• That is a pretty good list, but one thing that is not on that list that we have seen now on almost every Slingshot that has come in to us lately is the hood actually hitting the latch bracket preventing the hood from closing

Been that way since the first one rolled off the assembly line ... talked about elsewhere almost two years ago, been so long since I trimmed mine I forgot about .... wink-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I have dropped mine since day one. Changed to the Full Blown brackets and adjusted all the way to the top. I took a Dremel to 2 places on each side of the hood that was hitting. 99 times out of 100 all the latches will latch with a 6 inch drop except that 1 time on the passenger side.

• mine latches fine, but I never walk away without checking the little latches.... Had an issue with them before I re-aligned the hood, via the @tabtech method. Checking them is just a quick preventative, IMO. I also glance at the rear nut (I marked it,) just to be on the safe side, before every ride.

• I make sure to press down on all 4 latch points. Found out the hard way that the hood will lift over 50 mph if the hood did not latch on it's own!!!! Not fun!!!!!
    Sorry...but I call bullshit on this one @BONES!!! Your service dude is sadly uninformed, inexperienced, or just plain ignorant!!!!
    Your top has absolutely nothing to do with the hood latching issue, and as many have already posted above.....it's a well known issue. Ever since I learned to make sure I pressed on all 4 latch points, I have not had the hood raise up one time. You know how anal I am about things, so you also know I spent quite a bit of time tweaking my hood latches and supports. Got it as good as I could, but these hoods are HUGE and mostly plastic!!! Just sitting in the sun changes how it opens and closes. I've got mine as good as I possibly can, but I ALWAYS make sure I press on the 4 latch points every time I close it. It's just worth the extra 30 second it takes me to know it's latched every time!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @roadog1aj still riding high on joy from the raffle win! Look at all those exclamation points... :rolleyes:

Congratulations again man! And you are correct, ensure the hood is latched... :thumbup:

Thanks my friend!!! Yes...I can't even spell words so well right now....had to go back and edit my post for @BONES a couple times when I re-read it.........Jeesh!!!! :D

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Looking under Hood the MoFo didn't even cut any zip ties from the Recall harness install. Long tails sticking up all over the place, That's pride in your work right there!! :thumbdown:

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• Looking under Hood the MoFo didn't even cut any zip ties from the Recall harness install. Long tails sticking up all over the place, That's pride in your work right there!! :thumbdown:

Shameful!!!!