Slingshot Tops and rain...

• Well just wondering, how effective are the tops in the rain? I have the Madstad 9" and even though it does a good job of pushing most of the rain out of my face...the wife has gotten tired of getting caught in the storms. So...those that have been riding with the top in the rain...what's the verdict?

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• We have found with the Bullet top the biggest benefit is stopping the back draft from the roster tail. At slow speeds it does help a bit. If you are real slow in the rain some of the water will roll off the front into your face which sucks. If we know it is going to rain we carry a helmet with a face shied.

• Particularly with the Madstadt you'll eliminate most of the rain coming from the rear. When slow or stopped any roof is a big improvement. You'll still need a helmet with shield for normal driving

I agree with Flybuddy. I try to treat the shield and windshield with anti fog stuff regularly as it helps when driving in the rain.

• based off my work on a top they are first and foremost for shade. As noted the windshield is your best protection from rain coming at you. The SS stays pretty dry when driving so it's the stop time you want to worry about. Look for one that gives you a lot of side coverage (shoulder width). Also pay attention to how rain runs off. A round tube will cause rain to pull around the side tube and inwards even if just sitting still.
    I have driven in a bit of rain with my design and second the comments about water coming more from the sides under speed.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Crazy thing is the wife wants me to get the Slingshade in November...and is willing to pay a good chunk of it...but if it's no better than the rest...why spend the extra money.

Unlike most other tops that have a steel tubular design that offers "some" strength and support....a local dealer told me the Slingshade is just reinforced fiberglass "A" posts and offer no significant stability or strength. In fact he used the word cheap when describing it. Don't shoot the messenger.....

Edit: no, I haven't seen a Slingshade in person so this is strictly hearsay at this point.

Never sacrifice integrity for popularity >..<

• We love our UP Top. The shade is nice. We have been in some heavy rain and hail storms................your going to get wet no matter what top you have for sure. It does however offer that protection from the direct blasts. In South Dakota we had to pull over because of rain and hail. The dash had hail on it about 2 inches deep, no hail in the seats. Still use the frog togg poncho/suits. Its just knowing what time to gear up....or take a chance. You know your wet when your wallet is soaked through :) . I like the looks of the coverage on the slingshade. All tops are good and provide shade/protection. :):)

• Unlike most other tops that have a steel tubular design that offers "some" strength and support....a local dealer told me the Slingshade is just reinforced fiberglass "A" posts and offer no significant stability or strength. In fact he used the word cheap when describing it. Don't shoot the messenger.....

Edit: no, I haven't seen a Slingshade in person so this is strictly hearsay at this point.

That is actually good info. Seeing as it doesn't come out till November, I would hate to wait that long for junk.

• Personally, I am anxiously awaiting more info on @Ruptured Duck s top. His so far has what looks like the widest version of a top out there. The others seem to stop at the shoulders (Left for the driver, right for the passenger, please correct me if I am wrong)

I would anticipate that Duck's version would assist with protection more at lower speeds being a bit wider. That is my hope and a part of my reasoning for considering his for purchase. The goal being to have a shelter to sit under if we get caught in something too strong to drive through, and to keep some hail off.....cause that crap sucks a lot. Been there, done that

Add to that a Mesh Top version for simple shade & air movement within the cabin portion, and IMO his is the winner.

Just my $0.02 if input

• Funny thing is I was working on a top that had some similar aspects as his...but my fabricator just up and disappeared...so I am back to square 1.

• @MBMedic thank you but please know that I was in no way trying to promote anything. As I have stated in my thread I have along way to go and do not want anyone thinking it will be to market soon if ever (I'm not a company or have the resources past my garage at the moment). What I did want to share is what I have found from making my own. There are alot of good tops out on the market so you as a consumer need to ask what is the most important for you. If you are looking for protection past shade and rain than one of the sought roll cage type tops are going to offer you far more peace of mind than a simple fabric top like what I made for myself. The comment regarding the Polaris top may be true but when the design parameters were put down I'm sure the liability lawyers said to NOT give the intent of roll over protection. That or it was simply a weight thing. I did see in the video that you can pull yourself out of the SS by the front mounting frame.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @MBMedic thank you but please know that I was in no way trying to promote anything. As I have stated in my thread I have along way to go and do not want anyone thinking it will be to market soon if ever (I'm not a company or have the resources past my garage at the moment). What I did want to share is what I have found from making my own. There are alot of good tops out on the market so you as a consumer need to ask what is the most important for you. If you are looking for protection past shade and rain than one of the sought roll cage type tops are going to offer you far more peace of mind than a simple fabric top like what I made for myself. The comment regarding the Polaris top may be true but when the design parameters were put down I'm sure the liability lawyers said to NOT give the intent of roll over protection. That or it was simply a weight thing. I did see in the video that you can pull yourself out of the SS by the front mounting frame.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from. And, I in turn, have a long way to go before I get a top for my SS, lol. I do think I will have a Super Charger first.

That said, of all the tops currently on the market, nothing comes close to your width. That is actually a feature that draws me towards your Top. Having something that little bit wider to shelter under when caught in the rain, or keep the sun off while caught in traffic will be worth the wait IMO.

I am quite sure that by the time you have your Ducks in a row, you'll be making tops for others before I am ready to make my purchase.

• I absolutely understand where you are coming from. And, I in turn, have a long way to go before I get a top for my SS, lol. I do think I will have a Super Charger first.
    That said, of all the tops currently on the market, nothing comes close to your width. That is actually a feature that draws me towards your Top. Having something that little bit wider to shelter under when caught in the rain, or keep the sun off while caught in traffic will be worth the wait IMO.

I am quite sure that by the time you have your Ducks in a row, you'll be making tops for others before I am ready to make my purchase.

It seams like @MBMedic likes big tops. Sorry but I had to beat Tripod to it........

YLM. Your Life Matters