Where Did You Take Your Slingshot Today?

• Today was winding roads and wineries Wednesday.

Warning ... don't use your GPS set on shortest route in Tennessee. Was on some sketchy roads today and one that I just said OH HELL NO! If it doesn't have a number beware :astonished_face:

• ...Warning ... don't use your GPS set on shortest route in Tennessee...

...or anywhere. Drove with my daughter to a air museum in Lakeland FL soooo start the GPS for the drive home and pick the most squiggly line and 3 times the app wanted to change it. So 3 times I'm trying to reach around the steering wheel to refuse the "time saving" change.

GPS apps should have a "fun vehicle" mode which automatically selects the most squiggly lines.

One time driving from Brooksville FL to Kissimmee I picked the most squiggly line and unbeknownst the app switched my route. Gave me 20 extra minutes of high speed highway buffeting to save 3 minutes. I was furious when I realized it.

• ...or anywhere. Drove with my daughter to a air museum in Lakeland FL soooo start the GPS for the drive home and pick the most squiggly line and 3 times the app wanted to change it. So 3 times I'm trying to reach around the steering wheel to refuse the "time saving" change.

GPS apps should have a "fun vehicle" mode which automatically selects the most squiggly lines.

One time driving from Brooksville FL to Kissimmee I picked the most squiggly line and unbeknownst the app switched my route. Gave me 20 extra minutes of high speed highway buffeting to save 3 minutes. I was furious when I realized it.

I often pick out waypoints along the road I want to bo on, or choose a destination part way to my eventual destination - otherwise GPS just screws you over EVERY TIME!

I take this to be evidence of the dismissive attitude of the programmer and software development team.

"We're obviously soooo much smarter than the morons who will use our products that we have an obligation to protect them from themselves!"

Democrats in action, methinks!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I have the habit of memorizing my route before leaving home. I've always been a map and compass guy from back in my pre-technology back packing, mountain climbing, orienteering days. I now use Google Earth regularly. My GPS usage is mostly a source of entertainment. I'll set my destination, then see how many 'recalculating's it takes for GarWoman to agree with me. 5 or 6 iterations is common on a short drive.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• The GPS has taken me on single lane paved roads and also gravel roads across mountains whe set on the shortest routes. I have also found to just reset to new route along the way sometimes totally changes the route that you started with.

You know most GPS will give you options to avoid gravel roads / highways / toll roads in settings

My Garmin also gives me the option to choose curviest roads

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• when using GPS for fun rides I like to pre map out the route I want to take and then load it before heading out

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I use three different GPS systems... one on my phone (Goggle maps), one in my Hyundai SUV (2017 Santa Fe), one in my Sling... the three of them never agree!

Hyundai offers the most options - avoid tolls, ferrys, etc - and these actually work. Fastest time, scenic route, etc - as long as you know how to set the preferences, you are okay. Easy to use, but often can't find addresses if they were added in the last 15 years or so. It's GREAT on highways, guides you to the correct off ramp every time, navigates through cities with ease.

Goggle lies, lies, lies - and if I express a preference - it says: "F-You!" and changes the route anyway - then it nags, nags, nags "Turn around! You're going the wrong way!" (It's like driving with my mother tanked on meds!) It is the easiest of the bunch to use and the only one with a functional voice command. (Hyundai voice command is like speaking to a partially deaf autistic person who didn't grow up speaking English...) Goggle is also easy to add way points. Terrible in cities - sure to get you lost or take you off into a hell-neighborhood 'cause it's faster'. Does keep up with road closures, traffic, cop traps.

The sling doesn't offer options, nags less than the others, is harder to use. Still, it is on screen and uses a bigger screen than my phone - but text telling you what road your on is TOO SMALL to read, even in ideal lighting - makes you wonder if you need new bifocals all the time. Does okay in cities, not so much in the country. "Hey! You know that gravel road that goes through a swamp? You GOTTA take that! It'll save time! TURN NOW! Wait - GO BACK!"

Ugh! I really prefer to know where I'm going than rely on technology!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• ...or anywhere. Drove with my daughter to a air museum in Lakeland FL soooo start the GPS for the drive home and pick the most squiggly line and 3 times the app wanted to change it. So 3 times I'm trying to reach around the steering wheel to refuse the "time saving" change.

My Zumo 595LM has a Motorcycle mode for routing... It picks squiggley routes for sure.Here are the options...

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.