New approach for a SlingShot top...

• @Neosolidus I went back and looked at the picture to see what you were talking about. It's a bad angle and exaggerates the mirror arm. So it looks very small. I'll get a better pic tomorrow.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Ruptured Duck, I would have to see what the frame looks like without the top on it to see if I would prefer the look, but for me, spending 5 min to take the frame off from under the mirrors is not a deterrent. Doesn't bother me.

Question: when the top and frame are removed, how small a package does it fold down to? For instance, would it fit in the compartment behind the seat?

• @Ruptured Duck, I would have to see what the frame looks like without the top on it to see if I would prefer the look, but for me, spending 5 min to take the frame off from under the mirrors is not a deterrent. Doesn't bother me.

Question: when the top and frame are removed, how small a package does it fold down to? For instance, would it fit in the compartment behind the seat?

There is only one "small package" Imma carryin in my Sling ;(:00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

@KayTwo I hope this does not kill it for you. This top does not break (fold) down after it is removed. I know it has that look but there is just no room for a top of this type of construction to be folded and placed inside the two storage area.
    This top is light weight and allows easy entry and exit when installed while having a lower more aggressive - sporty look. Past that the top is easily removed by unscrewing to side knobs at the top of the A-pillars arms. You then lift the top off (one person) and can be placed either on the wall in your garage or just set to the side in a hotel room when you want the open air feel.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

Edited 2 times, last by Ruptured Duck ().

• @Neosolidus here are a few better images. Hope this helps to make you more comfortable with the bushing mount size.
    As for using it as a grab handle. I would not recommend it for reasons other than just the design of my part. The OE aluminum mirror mount that attaches to the frame was designed for a mirror arm. I have seen this part flex testing your idea. Combined with the desire for the A-pillar arm to be removable I would advise against using it in this manner.
    Now I will be looking into air wings for these as as an option. This would give a good reason to leave them on with the top removed.

• My personal preference would be to have the top completely removable including those front supports. I'm kinda anal about details and how I think things should look depending upon the accessories applied. I love, love, love, the look of your top and how it is attached. However, when I remove the top, I would want my Sling to be back to it's stock look, and those front supports would take away from how I like my Sling to look. Also, just a side note.......I would worry that someone would think those supports are grab rails and feel the need to use them for getting into, and out of the Sling, as well as simply walking up and using them as a leaning post. Without the top attached they would make me think I should stick a couple flags into them 8o
    @Ruptured Duck......please don't think I'm being a smart ass, and I mean no disrespect!!! You are attempting to create an awesome product at an equally awesome price.....PLUS trying and please as many of us as possible (damn near impossible task). I am truly interested in the design and function of your top!!! I have looked at all the other tops available and yours is THE only one I'm even remotely interested in due to your insistence on making it easy to install and remove!!! My wife and I are interested in this top for just that reason. We would like something for those really hot days, but also would like to ride without it on the beautiful days that are nice for nothing but open air!!!
    I hope my rambling makes sense, and believe me, how ever your finished design turns out, it will not be a deal breaker for us. I may be in the minority with my preference for having all supports be removable, but I can also live with other designs if that is what turns out to be the best way to go!!!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• I guess I have been confused - I understood the top/supports all would be able to be removed returning to stock look in minutes. Having to leave the supports on could be a deal breaker for me leaving me sweating my butt off. @Ruptured Duck can you take a pic with top removed so we can see??

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• @Ruptured Duck dropping in my opinion. I like the look and design, but agree with Bill and Painter.. I would like to remove the top and the arms to be closer to a clean look when top is off. Is there a way to put the disconnect right before the bend upwards by the mirror.. that part could stay on for all I care, just not the longer tube, unless I am missing something.

Just my 2 cents!!

last question.. When I remove the top can it be folded and "stored" so that I could have it with me while I travel?

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• @Ruptured Duck dropping in my opinion. I like the look and design, but agree with Bill and Painter.. I would like to remove the top and the arms to be closer to a clean look when top is off. Is there a way to put the disconnect right before the bend upwards by the mirror.. that part could stay on for all I care, just not the longer tube, unless I am missing something.

Just my 2 cents!!

last question.. When I remove the top can it be folded and "stored" so that I could have it with me while I travel?

@SlingRider see my response sevrral post up regarding it being foldable. This design is too large to fit inside or behind seats.
    A more minimalistic design is needed for that to work.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• I think we are worried about nothing with the front mounts. RD from what I can see your mount is just sandwiched between the mirror arm and the mirror mount bracket. If that is true then all it would take is a 13 mil socket to remove the bolt, remove the mount, and reinstall the mirror. Maybe 3 minutes work including drinking a beer. I would be glad to demo the steps on a video for others to see.

• I think we are worried about nothing with the front mounts. RD from what I can see your mount is just sandwiched between the mirror arm and the mirror mount bracket. If that is true then all it would take is a 13 mil socket to remove the bolt, remove the mount, and reinstall the mirror. Maybe 3 minutes work including drinking a beer. I would be glad to demo the steps on a video for others to see.

For people that have added the blinker mod on the mirror, how will this affect installation/removal of the top?

• For people that have added the blinker mod on the mirror, how will this affect installation/removal of the top?

should not have an issue depending on how much slack you have in your wiring. Regardless of final design direction it only moves the mirror out or up by about 1".
    When installed with the mirror relocation arms you would also be able to hide the wiring better... :D
    I have the OE mirror arms installer for testing and further development because there are no other mirror replicators at the moment. :P

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @Slingrazor I agree about the 3 minute removal but the removable arms will remain as part of the top design.
    I'll get a video together for the vendors thread so people have a full understanding of the tops design and functionality.
    Have to build a final pre-production version to finalize all design elements and hardware.
    That will be next month (late) at best.

(Slingshot Owners Group)