Hydroplaning is real

Its still my personal belief that under certain circumstances the traction control has no idea how to handle three wheels ......

The common thing in almost all of the hydroplaning accounts is that all the sudden, without warning, it was sideways .... not spinning..not directionally challenged, but sideways.....

Those who have been here from the beginning should remember that the Slingshot initial launch was delayed by what ..... a glitch in the stability control and front end camber set up that showed up when one front wheel hit a rut full of water freaking out the system causing a spin ......

Anything more than a damp road and I can wait .... like many older performance cars it just sometimes gets stupid in the wet and will bite if you push your luck...

DISCLAIMER EDIT : Do not take my comments as supporting turning off the traction control ... I do not

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited 2 times, last by Orangeman ().

• So for somebody simple like me if its raining any in Maggie Valley we get out of the rain and consume mass quantities of your favorite libation. Sounds like a win rain or shine to me :thumbup:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Those who have been here from the beginning should remember that the Slingshot initial launch was delayed by what ..... a glitch in the stability control and front end camber set up that showed up when one front wheel hit a rut full of water freaking out the system causing a spin ......

Now THERE'S an interesting bit of history I wasn't aware of.

For @Orangeman and everyone else who says not to disable traction control....why do you say that? In my pea brain, if the traction control is tapping the brakes when it feels a spin at the start of the hydroplane, which would make the scenario worse, why not remove that capability? I don't mean, disable it, and keep on with your cross-country ride. I mean, disable it, and find the nearest overpass. Or watering hole.

Not looking for an argument...trying to get perspectives that I don't have.

• Now THERE'S an interesting bit of history I wasn't aware of.
    For @Orangeman and everyone else who says not to disable traction control....why do you say that? In my pea brain, if the traction control is tapping the brakes when it feels a spin at the start of the hydroplane, which would make the scenario worse, why not remove that capability? I don't mean, disable it, and keep on with your cross-country ride. I mean, disable it, and find the nearest overpass. Or watering hole.

Not looking for an argument...trying to get perspectives that I don't have.

it's a good theory, just hard to replicate enough to be able to isolate the issue, and who wants to go first? Plus, hard to advocate turning tc off in already slippery conditions. I think there are more factors at work here also, but they are all easily resolved by parking it.

• For @Orangeman and everyone else who says not to disable traction control....why do you say that?

Even if it has a fault it still has merit ..... this is what a slide turn into with it off ....

So risk/reward, it is IMO better to leave it on ....

EDIT for clarification ...we are discussing the stability control, not traction control, while they do work together when both are on they are separate systems. You can disable the traction control leaving the stability control functioning. Not sure what effect that may have in the wet and should be fairly safe (and maybe fun) to test out in a big empty parking lot in the wet .... :00007555:

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().

• Ok, I've seen a few posts that are asking for simplification for riding in the rain, so try this as a good rule of thumb...

1. Don't.

2. If you have to, drive as slow as is reasonable, but don't get rear-ended. You know those annoying people that crawl along with their flashers on? Follow their example.

3. In ANY slippery conditions: don't jerk the steering wheel and keep use a soft touch on the pedals.

4. If you don't have to, but can't resist - good luck.

A couple of folks have asked, "so 55-60 in light rain is ok?" As I said before, I can't advise you on that and neither can anyone else. That is a decision you have to make entirely on your own. The afternoon leading up to my accident, I was doing up to 80m/hr in the rain (don't do that; very stupid on my part), but when I lost it I was doing less than 60. Others have lost it going as slow as 30 m/hr.

Golden Rule: Read the road. In every instance mention so far, someone lost it unexpectedly, and everyone of them (including me) lost it for the same reason. We made a mistake. What mistake was made does not matter. What matters is that a mistake was made. You can blame it on deep water, oil on the road, someone cut you off, or anything you want. However, the fault lies with us because we failed to maintain control. Shit happens, but how you react to that shit is the difference between pass and fail. If someone told you it was ok to do 60 on the highway in the rain and you spin out at 50, who's fault is that? Yours.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• These SS's are a different animal than anything we have driven and only been on market for over a year now and a learning curve for sure.
    Having owned 3 three wheelers before SS and luv ing every one other than Can Am for being to top heavy for my type of driving.
    But the other 2 Triking and JZR both having motorcycle tires I never had the concern of driving them as I do with SS.
    But SS is more powerful and more car like than other 3 wheelers that I drove.
    So those going to Maggie Valley take your time and if it rains will fight you for underpass space..LOL
    See You next week those that are going...Safe Travels

• WOW... glad you both are okay brother...that was one HELL of a ride. I can imagine it happened so darn fast. Also happy you will be riding again soon...very soon hopefully

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Just got back from my awesome dealer in WV. Drove out to meet the gadget dude and see him pick up his new sling. Sharp looking blue, with 3 miles on the odometer.

Wouldn't you know it, it rained like crazy on the way back. Twisty hilly two lane roads, can't see, ponding everywhere. I thought I would follow his lead and eat a tree. Very upsetting. Phone kept blasting flash flood alerts. Finally found a safe place to pull over and wait it out.

Hydro planing is real. So is getting buckets of water thrown in your face by oncoming traffic.

Gadget dude is back in the saddle, and we didn't die, so today was a good day.

• I'm back and ridin' in style. Thanks, ethermion for convincing me to give Tri County a chance to win my business.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• Yeah, saw my first White & a Blue one at my dealer here as well. While I still love my Black Pearl, I can't argue that these two don't look just as sharp, just not as nice as mine :)

• I also bought my SS in WV and got to ride some of the best roads I've ridden in a long time (Alps). I still believe that I own the longest hydroplane event - without a crash. Almost 1/4 mile down an exit ramp, across the intersection and onto the lawn of a hotel. Got a few drinks free and pats on the back - spectacular! I'm glad the lawn was on an uphill slope otherwise I would of been in the lobby.

Home of the free - because of the brave