• WHY?

Before you buy one, do yourself a favor and speak with your insurance agent to see if you would be covered in the event of a claim. Oh, GETTING insurance won't be an issue, but what happens if you have a claim and an adjuster checks out the Slingshot and sees the modification? Or what if the accident causes injuries to all 4 people inside the Slingshot? I'm sure your basic insurance policy for a Slingshot is based on the maximum capacity of 2 people only. Depending on the amount of the claim, the insurance company MAY pay your claim and then send you a 30 day notice to drop your coverage for "unapproved modifications"

Or worse, my agent said that the company COULD refund you your entire premiums going back to the date you added the 2 extra seating or the date you purchased the 4 seater. That move would result in you having to bare the entire loss on your own (unless it was not your fault and you could go after the other persons policy.

Just make sure you know for sure where you stand in this case and if these statements are wrong for your insurance company, please have the verify your coverage in writing and keep it just in case.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Yeah I get this. But I'm not looking to drive this on the freeways, etc... it will be a rental for local, in town travel only. I've asked a few insurance companies and it's not much different than the open seater cars you may see in tourist towns that people can rent.. scooters, etc.. It would be a rental 100% for in town driving only. I of course would have major paperwork anyone renting would sign which includes all the basics, like no smoking, no pets, no freeway/highway driving no off road and more. It's very easy to take digital pix before and after the rental.

Thanks for the input!

• Yeah I get this. But I'm not looking to drive this on the freeways, etc... it will be a rental for local, in town travel only. I've asked a few insurance companies and it's not much different than the open seater cars you may see in tourist towns that people can rent.. scooters, etc.. It would be a rental 100% for in town driving only. I of course would have major paperwork anyone renting would sign which includes all the basics, like no smoking, no pets, no freeway/highway driving no off road and more. It's very easy to take digital pix before and after the rental.

Thanks for the input!

Check with UAS in Florida. I believe that they have done a couple 4 (and a 6) seat conversions. I believe that Zarate also did a 4 seat conversion this year that was really nice (saw it in Miami at their reveal).

Thanks for the input!

Not being confrontational, but it sure is a LOT different than an open seat auto being used for a rental. The maximum capacity of a Slingshot is 2 passengers and registering it as a Slingshot and insurance coverage as a Slingshot under those terms, limits the Insurance companies exposure to bodily injury claims. If you've already spoken to insurance companies specifically about this, ask them if they will put it in writing for you. Hate to see you lose everything you've spent a lifetime saving due to a high powered lawyer who knows his way to get high dollar settlements for his clients

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Yeah like I said I've already spoken to them. They will classify it as a modified vehicle and those that rent it WILL sign quite a few docs that will not put me or the business liable for anything. It will also have live GoPro cams running while the renter drives it. So everything will be in a video and again, no off road, no freeways, highways, etc and nothing out of the state. thus its a "look at me" rental for around town. LLC for sure and the vehicle registered to that business, not me.

I think Im good. and rentals will create quite a bit of money.

Just saying. Thanks

• Yeah like I said I've already spoken to them. They will classify it as a modified vehicle and those that rent it WILL sign quite a few docs that will not put me or the business liable for anything. It will also have live GoPro cams running while the renter drives it. So everything will be in a video and again, no off road, no freeways, highways, etc and nothing out of the state. thus its a "look at me" rental for around town. LLC for sure and the vehicle registered to that business, not me.

I think Im good. and rentals will create quite a bit of money.

Just saying. Thanks

just FYI, it is well settled law that you can not waive negligence. So all that paper is worthless if their lawyer is smart enought to persuade the jury that the 'back yard moron/mechanic mod', was a negligent addition/modification. Not saying don't do it, just be aware they may hire an intelligent attorney. They get past summary judgment with this line. "if it was safe wouldn't Polaris have done it?" "Therefor this is a jury issue. Summary Judgment is inappropriate at this time." Now you need to come up with that trial retainer. Ouch.

• Got damn guys, ok I guess I will NOT get a 4 seater. With all the legal crap it looks like this option is OUT. Thanks for the heads up but what a disappointment. I know for sure I could rent this all day, especially on the weekends.

:(

• Was it us?

me

but on the otherhand, if you can find a insurance company that will cover you while stating in the policy that you made the those specific modifications and those are covered, then getting sued will hurt a lot less. But if you can't find anyone willing to take your money for insurance (reliable insurance ) maybe that says something

• THX1138 I know there are 4 seat conversions out there. If you want more info, maybe you could talk to one of the owners of one and hear what they have to say. I would think that if you'd contact one or more of the fab shops that do this and explain what you want to do, they would be willing to have one of their customers contact you. After all, you would represent potential business.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Yeah with feedback from this forum, I've decided to NOT buy a 4 seater now. It's just too risky I guess. Even with a LLC it sounds like theres bastards out there just waiting to wreck it and sue.

Got damn. I'm out on this option.

On a better note, I stopped at my local Polaris dealer to day and looked at the brand new 2023 models. Damn nice! Everything about them has improved. Seats, scoop hood, etc. Impressed. Only $39K out the door! :thumbsup:

• only 39k? - - - if you think thats an "only" then your pockets must be deeper than mine =O

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Sept 2015 the top of the line Slingshot was $25,500 + some taxes. At $39K how many hours do you have to rent it to make a little money.

• Yeah I was joking about the $39K. Damn pricey. And you are right EjFord, how many hours must it be rented to get your money back? A lot.

Ran across a 2021 Auto Drive with 5,600 miles on it for $24K at dealer. Too much IMO.

From what I have heard most Slingshot rentals are the Autodrive and pretty sure Polaris is selling the Autodrive models about 2 to 1 or more over the 5 speeds???