Hood popped up. FOUR TIMES!!!

• Went for a ride to local cemeteries today to put out flowers. Had stiff wind from the east, we wnet north and then back south. The hood popped up FOUR TIMES!! The first two, only the front popped up, but the last two times, the whole thing came up. Luckily, the design kept it from folding back like a car hood would, but, DAMN, not something you want to see happening. All four happened went we met semi trucks and we all know what a 20 to 30 mph crosswind feels like.

Maybe I figured out what the problem is/was, but I wanted to ask, some folks with more experience than I have.

When we got home, I checked under the hodd. I put white grease lube on the latch mechanisms and the exposed release cables. I even looked for a way to tie the hood down but still be able to open it, even it would take longer. I did see that a strap could be run underneath and hooked to the hood mechanism, but it would take a little back yard engineering.

THEN . . hopefully, I figured it out. Openng and closing the hood a few times, I noticed that it didn't always fully latch by just dropping it closed. I could still once in awhile lift the front and get it to unlatch. NOT GOOD. Then I noticed that the release lever didn't always go clear to the top. If I purposely pulled it up, the hood seemed to latch OK. Otherwise, it could be unlatched.

So, has anyone else had the same experience? Have I just been lucky until today? Is there something else I'm missing?

I sure hope just making sure that having the release lever ALL THE WAY UP is the answer. I sure don't want to see the hood go over my head on the next windy day.

• I always push on the hood near the upper latches (closest to the cab) to make sure that they are latched. Occasionally, I have had it latch when doing that.

Are you sure that they were latched before the drive? If all 4 latches are releasing at once, I would think that maybe they did not fully engage due to something keeping the latch lever at the front from fully releasing/engaging..

• Occasionally the front driver side latch fails to latch. As mentioned above I always check both latches close to the cab. Just a slight tug to check (it will lift up) then a love tap in the proper area (just above the latch) so as not to damage the plastic. Always careful in pulling and pushing that area.

• Even after the front popped, the back stayed latched, until, of course, it didn't!

Yes, I always checked the back ones by pushing down, then lifting at the corner.

I still think it was not lifting the latch lever up after closing, but I wanted other possible causes. Thanks.

• I always check all 4 latches. Lift side of fender to check forward then back by windshield corners. Not latched just push down or open and close again.

this. Shut hood and then check at all 4 latches by lifting and press on hood by each latch as needed. Shortly after getting my slingshot I had the hood not latch fully a couple of times. I started doing the above every time the hood has been opened and it has never come unlatched again

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I, too, have experienced the hood popping up and I was surprised how high it lifted since I wastraveling around 60 mph. In my case, I was on a sweeping turn to the left, so I could still see the shoulder past the hood and was able to pull over and re-close the hood. Now, I always press with the palm of my hand at the outer rear edges of the hood above the latch mechanism. I then try lifting up the outer edge of the hood on each side to verify that the hood is securely latched. If I notice the hood moving much while driving, I pull over and check the latches. If the rear latches pop, it's usually obvious, but the front of the hood sometimes will appear to move even though it's properly latched, presumably from air flowing under the hood. I recently installed DDM Works' hood vents that are supposed to allow air pressure under the hood to exit from under the hood and I don't recall seeing the front edge of the hood move as much.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Those are Aerocatch hood pins. They require a recessed hole for mounting and are pretty much flush with the hood when closed. Available in locking or non-locking. Prices start around $70 for the non-locking version. Should be available on Amazon or just about any of the car parts stores online.

there should be a how-to post either here or over on http://www.slingshotforums.com. It was posted several years ago and I can't remember which forum.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Whenever I go to close my hood I slowly ease it back about halfway and then let it drop! I have never had an issue with my 2016 or 2019 not latching. I do keep the latches greased but that’s it.

As far as the hood pins are concerned I do have them - they are nestled away in a to do box whenever I get the courage to cut into my hood. So far the day has not come…. The hood on my current SS does not have the wing flap that my 2016 did.

Nice job gooseman !

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

Edited 2 times, last by SoCal ().

• Those are Aerocatch hood pins. They require a recessed hole for mounting and are pretty much flush with the hood when closed. Available in locking or non-locking. Prices start around $70 for the non-locking version. Should be available on Amazon or just about any of the car parts stores online.

I need to get a set of those. I have the mniron hood pins and one fell off last fall. Now I've got an ugly hole showing in the hood so I'll have no problem making it a little bigger. The push-pins I've had do the job but can be a little finicky when opening the hood. I think I'll like the latch style better.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Whenever I go to close my hood I slowly ease it back about halfway and then let it drop! I have never had an issue with my 2016 or 2019 not latching. I do keep the latches greased but that’s it.

As far as the hood pins are concerned I do have them - they are nestled away in a to do box whenever I get the courage to cut into my hood. So far the day is not come…. The hood on my current SS does not have the wing flap that my 2016 did.

Shortly after getting my 2016 I ordered and installed the hood pads that Slingmods sells - replacement hood pads - with these installed I have never had a flapping problem of any kind, although I do think the pads make it a little harder for the hood latches to engage which is why I always push by each latch after closing the hood to insure the latch has properly engaged - - - - with these pads when my hood is closed and latched it is closed tight there is no play or movement at all - - - I know they changed the hood stops on later models, but on my 2016 these pads were one of my better investments :thumbsup:

• I han the original pins from mniron and had replaced them a few times due to them wearing from movement and dirt. Always didnt trust if they were latched and double checked them and hood latches. With these installed (thanks to rabtech leading the way and figuring out a way) there is never a question if they are latched or released. I like them better and they really arent that hard to install. Just have to make the initial cut i. The hood. Once you make the first cut the second and third and so forth are easier to do =O

• I need to get a set of those. I have the mniron hood pins and one fell off last fall. Now I've got an ugly hole showing in the hood so I'll have no problem making it a little bigger. The push-pins I've had do the job but can be a little finicky when opening the hood. I think I'll like the latch style better.

The nice part about the Aerocatch latch is a pin physically moves forward into the post that is mounted to the frame and can not move back out without the handle changing position and that is very visible.

• I have to admit that when it comes to cutting on my hood I am a total chicken -- - - - it just aint going to happen

I am good with tools and if you want me to help you cut on your hood I'm down, but not on my Cage Free - - - - :thumbdown:

• Our Grasshopper is now over seven years old with the original latches and we have had no issues. But, I do check the back two corners every time I close the hood and every several months or so the latches get a squirt or two of Image result for tri flow lubricant:thumbup:

I seem to recall it mentioned that there have been different versions of OEM latches used on the SlingShot over it's evolution? :/

Bill