Clutch slipping

• Got the Sling out tonight to take the wife to supper. Drove about 11 miles and stopped no issues. While getting ready to leave smelled burnt clutch while pushed in after starting, doesn't seem to be slipping while driving. I'm going to change out the clutch fluid tomorrow is there anything else I need to be looking at besides fluid? Literally turned over 40,000 miles tonight.

Just a small town farmboy, handy with my hands and originally trained as a automotive technician. Lives in Swayzee Indiana.

• Are they wet clutches like on a motor cycle I thought I read they were dry. I know all about burned clutches as my new bride burned up the one in our Mustang in Knotsville as her uncle taught her to drive and showed her the proper way to sit a a stop light on a hill was to slip the clutch. My first clutch change job when we go back to Maryland.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• replaced mine at 15,000 miles.

BIG job, you're gonna need an engine hoist and preferably somebody who has done this before.

Oh yeah, better brush up on your cussin too!

15k life on a clutch? How hard are you driving this thing. A properly used clutch and assuming non abused should last well over 50k miles.

• 15k life on a clutch? How hard are you driving this thing. A properly used clutch and assuming non abused should last well over 50k miles.

I'm blaming Kyle D ! LoL!

Actually, my clutch was problematic from the off, adding a ZZP stage 1 turbo & intercooler just finished it off.

The new clutch works great! Expect it to last for a long time!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Looks like maybe flushing the fluid and between pumping and pulling up on the clutch it has fixed itself (fingers crossed). Has anyone ever had a Goodridge or Galfer new clutch line made and installed just to use better materials?

Just a small town farmboy, handy with my hands and originally trained as a automotive technician. Lives in Swayzee Indiana.

• Did you replace the stock clutch with a performance clutch or just stick with the stock clutch?

ZZP performance clutch. Grabs instantly, somewhat stiffer than OEM clutch - just something you get used to. LOVE the way it grabs when you drop a gear and put your foot down. Perfect clutch for a boosted setup. 10/10 would buy it again!

Install is a real ba$tard, but that's on the Slingshot design. Pretty sure Polaris could have made this loads more serviceable with a removable frame member underneath. (I smell liability lawyer interference here...). It is what it is, you need friends, beer, and an engine hoist. A set of wobble sockets and extensions will be needed as well.

dangerdarrell is the acknowledged master of this black art in my neighborhood, I'm just an apprentice wrench twirler and socket fetcher...

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• The best part about needing to replace the clutch is it gives you an excuse to update the engine to one of Dave@DDMWORKS forged engines. By installing it at the same time as replacing the clutch, you'll save something like $1,000 vs doing it one at a time. That's going to be my excuse and NOBODY'S gonna talk me outta that

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• ZZP performance clutch. Grabs instantly, somewhat stiffer than OEM clutch - just something you get used to. LOVE the way it grabs when you drop a gear and put your foot down. Perfect clutch for a boosted setup. 10/10 would buy it again!

Install is a real ba$tard, but that's on the Slingshot design. Pretty sure Polaris could have made this loads more serviceable with a removable frame member underneath. (I smell liability lawyer interference here...). It is what it is, you need friends, beer, and an engine hoist. A set of wobble sockets and extensions will be needed as well.

dangerdarrell is the acknowledged master of this black art in my neighborhood, I'm just an apprentice wrench twirler and socket fetcher...

I've always been surprised that Polaris didn't use a removable transmission support. Definitely would have made clutch work a lot easier. From my perspective, this is just another example of a manufacturer choosing to save a few bucks in design and manufacturing at the consumer's expense!

Of course, as long as the Ecotec 2.4L motor has been around I'm surprised there aren't more heavy duty/performance clutches to chose from.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• So...

Why don't we have an aftermarket bolt in crossmember for the tranny? Other than warranty void. A lot of us no longer hampered. Liability issue?

Tranny work requirement...

Torch or angle grind the original crossmember out, bolt in the new support. Pressed u-channel or square frame?

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• So...

Why don't we have an aftermarket bolt in crossmember for the tranny? Other than warranty void. A lot of us no longer hampered. Liability issue?

Tranny work requirement...

Torch or angle grind the original crossmember out, bolt in the new support. Pressed u-channel or square frame?

Liability may play a role in this, but if a trusted source such as ZZP or DDM Works offered a reasonably priced, bolt-on replacement, I'd certainly consider buying it. I haven't really looked, but how stable would the motor be if the transmission were removed? Would a rear motor support of some kind be needed? Either way, I think it would be cheaper to switch to a removable transmission support, even if it needed some kind of temporary motor support when installing a new clutch.

• Did you replace the stock clutch with a performance clutch or just stick with the stock clutch?

DDM performance clutch and wish i would have blown it up much sooner, thats how good the performance clutch is ....... No way i was going thru all that work removing my engine to place some GM clutch back in knowing there was a performance one out there

• I've always been surprised that Polaris didn't use a removable transmission support. Definitely would have made clutch work a lot easier. From my perspective, this is just another example of a manufacturer choosing to save a few bucks in design and manufacturing at the consumer's expense!

Of course, as long as the Ecotec 2.4L motor has been around I'm surprised there aren't more heavy duty/performance clutches to chose from.

I am guessing here, but Polaris probably figured that clutch swaps on stock engine Slingshots was probably not going to be something that happened very often, so why make a more complicated frame setup with extra parts that bolted into it. By having a fully welded frame, it is easier to manufacturer and arguably stronger, less expense to make and less parts to inventory. For the small percentage of owners that ever swap the clutch, pulling the engine to do so is really not as bad as it sounds. I am actually much happier to swap a clutch on a Slingshot than any other vehicle we work on. The front of the Slingshot comes off easy (unless there are a bunch of LED's hooked up) and the swap really goes pretty quick.

As for options for the 2.4L, there are a pretty good amount of options available out there, other than the ones that ZZP and DDMWorks offer, but really, why would you choose anything else? ;)

• Reading all of these posts regarding the clutch and transmission, I'm curious now, if I needed clutch work done on my Sling, or any engine work for that matter, would I take my Sling to the dealer where I bought it or to the Chevy/GM dealership and service department that's just down the road from where I live? 🤔

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Dave@DDMWorks What are your thoughts about a replacement clutch line made by Galfer or Goodridge?

I believe the clutch line is already a steel braided line, if i can recall ...

Update:.......this is the clutch line, it gets no better than this....

....... but you can sure improve the clutches