I'm looking for a quieter exhaust

• I'm looking for info from those owners that have added an aftermarket, rear exhaust or quieter muffler. My engine is stock, and I'm looking to lessen the exhaust noise in the cabin of my 2019 SLR, I don't care if the exhaust is louder at the rear, as long as the overall noise in the cabin of the SS is less than what it is now with the factory exhaust.

So, who has what exhaust/muffler on a non-turbo SS and is the exhaust noise less in the cabin area now that you changed your exhaust. Please note, I'm not looking for performance, just a quieter exhaust noise (not tire or wind noise ^^).

Thanks!

• The stock exhaust is the quietest exhaust I have heard, even my welter rear dual with silencer insert is louder than what my OEM was.

one thing for sure though, the welter changes the sound note so even though is louder is also more pleasant to my ear.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• It's basically the tone of the exhaust I think. My wife says it bothers her ears, especially after several hours of driving. I was hoping that a rear exhaust would make the sound in the passenger compartment quieter because the noise was coming out the back.... I guess not.... There is a custom muffler shop near me that does great work. Maybe I'll swing by there next week and see if he can make a rear exhaust with a muffler from another vehicle like a Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper that would fit and be quieter. Trying to come up with something to keep my wife happy. We all know how that goes...

• The stock exhaust is the quietest exhaust I have heard, even my welter rear dual with silencer insert is louder than what my OEM was.

one thing for sure though, the welter changes the sound note so even though is louder is also more pleasant to my ear.

So the sound level in the passenger compartment from the exhaust is no quieter...just a different tone????

• I'm looking for info from those owners that have added an aftermarket, rear exhaust or quieter muffler. My engine is stock, and I'm looking to lessen the exhaust noise in the cabin of my 2019 SLR, I don't care if the exhaust is louder at the rear, as long as the overall noise in the cabin of the SS is less than what it is now with the factory exhaust.

So, who has what exhaust/muffler on a non-turbo SS and is the exhaust noise less in the cabin area now that you changed your exhaust. Please note, I'm not looking for performance, just a quieter exhaust noise (not tire or wind noise ^^).

Thanks!

On Sling I, I have the Welter Dual with no cat and no it is not quite. On Sling II I am running the 1320 header with no cat and have the stock muffler with the internal cat by-pass. It is not quite either but it is still IMHO the best sounding exhaust out there. I do not believe that I have heard a quite exhaust system

• On Sling I, I have the Welter Dual with no cat and no it is not quite. On Sling II I am running the 1320 header with no cat and have the stock muffler with the internal cat by-pass. It is not quite either but it is still IMHO the best sounding exhaust out there. I do not believe that I have heard a quite exhaust system

Noise is something in the Slingshot --- road noise, exhaust noise, motor noise, tire noise, wind noise, and probably several that don't come to mind at the moment --- we can make a lot of changes but always going to have a noise factor. I put a little cotton in each ear for warmth and noise. And I can still hear a OEM 2016 sound system with the level set on 9/10 at 70mph and a helmet.

• Noise is something in the Slingshot --- road noise, exhaust noise, motor noise, tire noise, wind noise, and probably several that don't come to mind at the moment --- we can make a lot of changes but always going to have a noise factor. I put a little cotton in each ear for warmth and noise. And I can still hear a OEM 2016 sound system with the level set on 9/10 at 70mph and a helmet.

I have never used ear plugs while riding, yes I an still hear

• With the Slingshot's exhaust exiting down right in front of the passenger area, there can be a tendency for reverberation that bothers some folks. I have a Hahn turbo kit and the StreetRace exhaust I use also exits in the same manner and I have to admit that I sometimes get tired of the droning. Side exit exhausts seem to make the sound more acceptable to most folks and a rear exit exhaust even more so. ZZ Performance offers an aftermarket exhaust kit that sounds pretty good to me. They also offer a rear exhaust and are developing a side exhaust that will run along the passenger side.

You should find a variety of exhaust sounds here -

https://www.youtube.com/result…Polaris+slingshot+exhaust.

• So the sound level in the passenger compartment from the exhaust is no quieter...just a different tone????

correct, it is quiet maybe even quieter than stock when in town(granny mode/low rpms driving) , when you are giving it the beans then it wakes up and it's louder than stock for sure, the main thing to note is that there is no droning(at least in mine) which is the annoying sound that most people complain about most of the time when it comes to exhaust.

the best thing is that the silencer tips are easy to take off/put on(2 min job) so you can ride with the silencer with her and take them off when you ride without her if you want a more aggressive sound.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I know there will always be noise, it is, after all, an open air vehicle. We both like the sound of the wind and the tires and do not ever want that to stop. It is only the droning/thrumming of the exhaust that really bothers her.

So far, it seems like I can change the sound of the exhaust, to a tone that may not be as annoying by using a complete aftermarket rear exiting exhaust kit or another idea is to try and rear or side exit the stock exhaust.

I'm guessing the easiest/cheapest thing to try first is to route the stock exhaust out the back in concert with some heat tape/pipe wrap on the stock muffler to try and deaden the thrumming/droning within the muffler itself.

Since there is no clear cut way to reduce the stock exhaust sound, I guess I'll have to experiment and report back with the results, positive or negative.

Thanks to everyone that responded!

• Noise canceling earbuds with ambient sound settings would likely be your quickest fix. I use the Samsung Galaxy Buds+ for certain highways. It filters out the droning, dampens the highway noise, allows necessary ambient sounds to pass through like horns, sirens, etc, can hear my passenger because they pass voices through, and I can still play music through them when I want. They aren't a Sena headset by any means, but with an 11 hour charge, I use them literally everyday. Works great.

• I doubt that wrapping the muffler will help much with any droning, although it might reduce the amount of heat radiated from the muffler.

It's been over 2 years since I removed my stock muffler, so I don't remember much about the stock outlet. It might be possible to install some a baffle on the stock muffler to help reduce the volume. I'd recommend checking with an exhaust/muffler shop about it. My Hahn exhaust was too loud for my taste and I ordered 2 screw-in baffles which reduced the noise for leaving and arriving home for my late-night rides w/o worrying about disturbing the neighbors.

As far as trying to extend the pipes coming out of the muffler, the muffler exhausts low enough that there isn't really much room to try and attach extension pipes, at least in my opinion. IIRC, my Hahn exhaust uses a MagnaFlow dual-inlet and dual-outlet muffler with the bottoms sticking down just enough that the baffles have been bent when driving over road bumps and other road features. If you should find someone who can attach extension pipes to your stock muffler, I'm sure a lot of us would be interested about cost and any challenges you encounter.

• Noise canceling earbuds with ambient sound settings would likely be your quickest fix. I use the Samsung Galaxy Buds+ for certain highways. It filters out the droning, dampens the highway noise, allows necessary ambient sounds to pass through like horns, sirens, etc, can hear my passenger because they pass voices through, and I can still play music through them when I want. They aren't a Sena headset by any means, but with an 11 hour charge, I use them literally everyday. Works great.

Those would work for me, but I don't have a problem with the exhaust noise....old ears. But, my wife doesn't like things in her ears, so that would have to be the LAST option.

• My rear WP dual exhaust is wrapped (for heat purposes not sound) ......for me the sound was moved to the rear & with the silencers that come with the exhaust , you dont have to trim em to keep the sound low, though i trimmed mines down for that WP sound, which i barely hear over my music anyway