2021 Slingshot

• I'm putting some serious thought into purchasing a 2021. Like most of us older folks a Manual transmission is a must. With more options this year I'm balancing the price difference between an SL with 178 HP and an R with 203 HP. Big price difference. Also thoughts that the ProStar Stage 1 tune kit is something I can add to the SL in the future if it is compatible with the 2021 SL? I checked on line and it states the stage 1 tune kit is not compatible with the 2021 SL, I suspect its only because it's not updated yet? At this point the only experience I have is the stock GM 2.4 Ecotec 173 HP and a lower RPM range for that engine. I'm OK with the performance but just want a little bit more. In short I'd be happy with modest gain in the fun level that a small HP gain along with a higher RPM range may be all I'm looking for?

Can anyone out there that has driven a Slingshot with a GM 2.4 VS the Polaris 2.0 prostar 178 HP engine tell that there is a noticeable difference in the fun to drive area. I'm not worried about the torque output.

My thought is that driving the hills and curves and being able to down shift gives better fun experience.

• Based on one of the reviews I read, I believe the AutoDrive is still using the same Aisin 5-speed manual transmission with an automatic clutch. IF so, adding paddle-shifters to the AutoDrive should basically offer performance similar to the manual while still allowing more control over the choice of gear. If the improvements for 2021 make the AutoDrive w/Paddle-shifters even close to conventional automatic transmissions with Paddle-shifters, and I could actually afford a 2021 Slingshot w/the Autodrive/Paddle-shifter setup and the Performance tune, I'd definitely consider that combo on the S model. Should give pretty close to R model performance at significant savings.

• Based on one of the reviews I read, I believe the AutoDrive is still using the same Aisin 5-speed manual transmission with an automatic clutch. IF so, adding paddle-shifters to the AutoDrive should basically offer performance similar to the manual while still allowing more control over the choice of gear. If the improvements for 2021 make the AutoDrive w/Paddle-shifters even close to conventional automatic transmissions with Paddle-shifters, and I could actually afford a 2021 Slingshot w/the Autodrive/Paddle-shifter setup and the Performance tune, I'd definitely consider that combo on the S model. Should give pretty close to R model performance at significant savings.

I can confirm the transmission itself is the same between the manual and the Autodrive. Really looking forward to the paddle shifters, should make our 2020 a really nice cruiser.

• Apparently there's also a free tune to update the automated shifter as well for the regular drive mode. Called my dealer yesterday about the paddle shifters and most of this stuff was still new to them so they weren't aware of what they could order or offer yet. Ill give them some time to catch up.

Edit: and a free update to the 2020 ride command to get Apple CarPlay. I'm not an Apple guy at all but I'll take the free update.

• Paddle shifting came in a much lower price than I thought. That will be a good thing, plus it retro's back to the 2020's. Not available yet, but should be soon. The Hill Assist is also available to install on the 2020's (reflash). The new Apple play should also be a reflash of the Ride Command, not sure how much $$ though. Slingshot finally has some audio upgrades (as well as smaller pods by your feet which is good), hopefully they sell just the rear speaker pods themselves and not the speaker included kit.

2021 is going to be a fun year for Slingshot

Scott

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• Since the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Slingshots both use the same manual transmission, I wonder if it might be possible to retrofit the AutoDrive unit and paddle shifters to a Gen 1 Slingshot. The biggest obstacle I'd expect is the Gen 1 ECU may not be reprogrammable to accommodate the AutoDrive shift programming. I'd be perfectly happy if the the transmission could be fitted with the manual paddle shifters only where the driver would shift using the paddle shifters and wouldn't use the normal AutoDrive automatic mode at all.

• Just sell it and buy a new one!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

The slingshot is the worst performing toy I own but it is the easiest to customize, so much so that even someone like me with very limited mechanical skills can tinker with it.

For example I am about to do a rabtech level disassembling to redo my music and while at it check the frame and re-tighten everything.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Since the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Slingshots both use the same manual transmission, I wonder if it might be possible to retrofit the AutoDrive unit and paddle shifters to a Gen 1 Slingshot. The biggest obstacle I'd expect is the Gen 1 ECU may not be reprogrammable to accommodate the AutoDrive shift programming. I'd be perfectly happy if the the transmission could be fitted with the manual paddle shifters only where the driver would shift using the paddle shifters and wouldn't use the normal AutoDrive automatic mode at all.

The electronic alone make this not possible. Even if it WAS possible, the cost would be more than selling your old one and buying a new one anyways.

Scott

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• The electronic alone make this not possible. Even if it WAS possible, the cost would be more than selling your old one and buying a new one anyways.

Scott

I figured the ECU would be the stumbling block.

Just sell it and buy a new one!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

I can't really afford to do that! I had sold some timber that allowed me to splurge on the Slingshot and just don't have surplus funds now.

• Does anyone out there have a 2020 "R" with a manual shift. What's your opinion. My dealer has one (Miami Blue) in stock and I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I my be able to get a good deal with the 2021's coming out.

• I am a cost-conscious buyer and if I had the money to buy a new Slingshot (I don't), I'd probably wait for a 2021 S model and add the Performance Tune. This should offer performance very close to the R model. I say very close, because I don't know if the Performance Tune reprograms the ECU to provide the same HP as the R model tune. I prefer to roll my own sound system. If I had a little more money to spend, I'd spring for the Autodrive w/Paddle Shifters. The 2021 AutoDrive is supposed to offer smoother shifts and the Paddle Shifters should also allow smoother shifts than I can now do with a manual transmission. I don't mind driving a manual trans, but I wouldn't consider myself a speed shifter.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I am a cost-conscious buyer and if I had the money to buy a new Slingshot (I don't), I'd probably wait for a 2021 S model and add the Performance Tune. This should offer performance very close to the R model. I say very close, because I don't know if the Performance Tune reprograms the ECU to provide the same HP as the R model tune. I prefer to roll my own sound system. If I had a little more money to spend, I'd spring for the Autodrive w/Paddle Shifters. The 2021 AutoDrive is supposed to offer smoother shifts and the Paddle Shifters should also allow smoother shifts that I can now do with a manual transmission. I don't mind driving a manual trans, but I wouldn't consider myself a speed shifter.

Agree with most. I definitely don't want an automatic and I'm not sure about paddle shifting. Never tried it but I know I like the old school clutch and stick. It appears as though the 178 HP vs. the 203 HP is simply a tune kit. Most likely a remap of the ECU. Possible a better breather? I like the newer sound system, navigation, electronics and other nice little goodies. I'll agree the "S" is a solid runner that has almost all the good stuff the S is a great way to go especially to personalize! I'll see how motivated the dealer is to move the old stock!

• Agree with most. I definitely don't want an automatic and I'm not sure about paddle shifting. Never tried it but I know I like the old school clutch and stick. It appears as though the 178 HP vs. the 203 HP is simply a tune kit. Most likely a remap of the ECU. Possible a better breather? I like the newer sound system, navigation, electronics and other nice little goodies. I'll agree the "S" is a solid runner that has almost all the good stuff the S is a great way to go especially to personalize! I'll see how motivated the dealer is to move the old stock!

A lot of electronics can be up graded at your local radio shop for a lots less than Polaris.

• A lot of electronics can be up graded at your local radio shop for a lots less than Polaris.

Lots of angles. It's like going into a restaurant with a huge menu! But that's good! ^^ I sent an email to my dealer with three different scenarios and pricing. Going to see what they come up with.

• Has anyone considered that we're likely to see a bunch of low-mile, used, autodrive Slingshots in the next couple of years? When the Sling first came out there were a lot of impulse purchases by folks who just didn't take to the Sling and sold them with maybe a couple thousand miles on them (my 1st was one of these). I think that the introduction of the autodrive will create those same purchases by new buyers who possibly are even less connected to the machinery than the first rounds of buyers. If you're Jonesing for a 2020 and you would consider 'gently used', I'd think about waiting 'till this summer.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Agree with most. I definitely don't want an automatic and I'm not sure about paddle shifting. Never tried it but I know I like the old school clutch and stick. It appears as though the 178 HP vs. the 203 HP is simply a tune kit. Most likely a remap of the ECU. Possible a better breather? I like the newer sound system, navigation, electronics and other nice little goodies. I'll agree the "S" is a solid runner that has almost all the good stuff the S is a great way to go especially to personalize! I'll see how motivated the dealer is to move the old stock!

There are no mechanical differences between the 178HP version and the 203HP version. The intake, exhaust and engine are all identical, it is all done with a tune. We have converted a couple of the 178HP versions to more than 203HP now, just an ECM flash.

• Does anyone out there have a 2020 "R" with a manual shift. What's your opinion. My dealer has one (Miami Blue) in stock and I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I my be able to get a good deal with the 2021's coming out.

We have a 2020 R manual at ZZP. It drives really nice. I drove an auto drive 2 and 4 seater that Jack from UAS had in Maggie Valley and I was surprised how much I liked them both. I personally would still rather row through the gears but I really did like the auto drive. I never would have thought I would like the 4 seater but I was surprised how well it drove. If I lived somewhere that I could ride year round or close to it I would consider a 2nd sling and get a 4 seater for the family.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• There are no mechanical differences between the 178HP version and the 203HP version. The intake, exhaust and engine are all identical, it is all done with a tune. We have converted a couple of the 178HP versions to more than 203HP now, just an ECM flash.

We have a 2020 R manual at ZZP. It drives really nice. I drove an auto drive 2 and 4 seater that Jack from UAS had in Maggie Valley and I was surprised how much I liked them both. I personally would still rather row through the gears but I really did like the auto drive. I never would have thought I would like the 4 seater but I was surprised how well it drove. If I lived somewhere that I could ride year round or close to it I would consider a 2nd sling and get a 4 seater for the family.

Went to the dealer today and did a test ride in the manual version of the 2020 R. As stated above its just about identical to the 2021 R. I believe the only difference is Apple carplay (I have a samsung phone anyway) and the hill assist holding aren't a feature of the 2020. The instrument cluster, navigation, stereo and display are impressive even in bright sunlight!. Unfortunately the area within the test drive doesn't offer much chance to experience the engine performance. Not to mention I was holding back as the salesman was along on the ride. I can say it has a tighter, more solid feel & a much higher red line which I didn't gat a chance to come anywhere near. Especially the steering is much more responsive. Very nice machine but for now I'm holding. The trade in value was far below my expectations vs. the cost of a the machine I want. (I realize the dealer has got to make a profit and I'll respect that).

Beautiful machine with some great updates. It's in the cards. Just sometime down the road. I have a lot of miles left in my current SL.