oaky turbo/supercharger

• If you get stuck along the way, we are happy to help also with pictures via email or text, unless you are like MACAWS and only have a flip phone, then we send carrier pigeons. ;)

My phone is flipping you off right now!

And your last pigeon left something on my windshield!:P

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I'd actually order the kit now but the end of the riding season is upon us here in Maine so I can wait till spring 2 ride it . I'm just waiting for Black Friday and maybe Christmas to see if there's any deals coming down the road for the SC.

We usually do a sale for our Cyber Turkey Sale (Thanksgiving) and Christmas, usually Cyber Turkey is the best deal all year, not sure what they have planned for this year, but just FYI

• Yes I agree with you driving to have it done by someone that knows what they're doing. But the supercharger install really looks like a DIY so I'm going to give it a try. I have all winter to get it done.

Exactly correct. I am in the exact same boat and have all winter to get it done.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Yes I agree with you driving to have it done by someone that knows what they're doing. But the supercharger install really looks like a DIY so I'm going to give it a try. I have all winter to get it done.

Supercharger is really pretty easy. Best to have a helper though. At least to hand you Diet Dr Peppers.

A neighbor is a Auto Shop teacher in a nearby school district and said he could help if I had any questions, but everytime I tried to get him to walk two houses over to my place, he seemed to be busy. Thanks to many posts on the forum and the help of many fine folks such as Dave@DDMWorks and others, I finally got it done over a period of around 6 months with a lot of that time spent on figuring out answers to my many questions and occasionally actually doing a little work on the install!No really serious problems, just a lot of little things I wanted to make sure were properly handled. For example, I had to pull the oil pan two times after it leaked after the first install and then I was concerned about how long the pan had been off that maybe too much oil had leaked while the pan was off, so before finally trying the first start, I researched and converted a garden pressure sprayer so I could hook it up to the engine & turbo to make sure I could see the oil pump was still properly primed and oil was flowing from the homemade pressure oiler (former sprayer) thru the engine and turbo. After that, I felt relatively safe starting the engine for the first time. Another time, I lost a bolt and was worried it might have fallen into the clutch housing thru the hole for the hydraulic clutch line and it took me several days of searching and finally scoping out the inside of the clutch housing with a cell camera USB endoscope to be confident the bolt wouldn't be likely to mess up the clutch assembly. I also seemed to have either not received or lost a bag of fasteners and had to wait a week or while Hahn Racecraft sent me the replacements free of charge.

A slow and steady approach and allowing time to figure out any problems you might encounter will get you through just about anything.

• A neighbor is a Auto Shop teacher in a nearby school district and said he could help if I had any questions, but everytime I tried to get him to walk two houses over to my place, he seemed to be busy. Thanks to many posts on the forum and the help of many fine folks such as Dave@DDMWorks and others, I finally got it done over a period of around 6 months with a lot of that time spent on figuring out answers to my many questions and occasionally actually doing a little work on the install!No really serious problems, just a lot of little things I wanted to make sure were properly handled. For example, I had to pull the oil pan two times after it leaked after the first install and then I was concerned about how long the pan had been off that maybe too much oil had leaked while the pan was off, so before finally trying the first start, I researched and converted a garden pressure sprayer so I could hook it up to the engine & turbo to make sure I could see the oil pump was still properly primed and oil was flowing from the homemade pressure oiler (former sprayer) thru the engine and turbo. After that, I felt relatively safe starting the engine for the first time. Another time, I lost a bolt and was worried it might have fallen into the clutch housing thru the hole for the hydraulic clutch line and it took me several days of searching and finally scoping out the inside of the clutch housing with a cell camera USB endoscope to be confident the bolt wouldn't be likely to mess up the clutch assembly. I also seemed to have either not received or lost a bag of fasteners and had to wait a week or while Hahn Racecraft sent me the replacements free of charge.

A slow and steady approach and allowing time to figure out any problems you might encounter will get you through just about anything.

Here is a hint for anyone doing an install. The first time you crank it up, of course there won't be any oil in the lubed parts, so disconnect the harness on the coil packs and turn the engine over for 10 - 15 seconds. This will get the oil pumping well!

I even do this when changing the oil, just to make sure my turbo has oil in it after things have drained.

• Since I had left the engine w/o oil for a couple months, I didn't want to use the engine cranking method, so I used the DIY pressure-feed oiler to ensure there was oil forced thru the system so I wouldn't have to worry about how long it might take to get oil in the system. IIRC, I attached the pressure feeder to the supply port on the engine to force oil thru the engine and then hooked it up to the turbo supply line and forced oil thru the turbo and watched for oil to start leaking thru the oil drain plug and then reinstalled the drain plug bolt and filled the engine with fresh oil before test-starting the engine.

• Waiting with money in hand. Haven't told wife yet but I'm going to do it anyway.

I have been with the little woman for over a decade. Asking for forgiveness works much better than asking for permission. Not only that, the silent treatment you get after that will allow you to focus better while installing it.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Here is a hint for anyone doing an install. The first time you crank it up, of course there won't be any oil in the lubed parts, so disconnect the harness on the coil packs and turn the engine over for 10 - 15 seconds. This will get the oil pumping well!

I even do this when changing the oil, just to make sure my turbo has oil in it after things have drained.

This is the reason I will never leave this forum. You just can't get this kind of input anywhere else. Thanks wokka. I would have never thought of that.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

• Here is a hint for anyone doing an install. The first time you crank it up, of course there won't be any oil in the lubed parts, so disconnect the harness on the coil packs and turn the engine over for 10 - 15 seconds. This will get the oil pumping well!

Typically we unplug the harness going to the fuel injectors when doing the installs, since that prevents fuel from being sprayed into the cylinders while the engine is turning over. There will be a check engine light after you plug the connector back in and start the engine, but it should go away after driving the Slingshot a couple times.

• Well I can assure you the SC guys will recommend what they have under the hood and us Turbo junkies will do the same.

My recommendation is the DDM Stage 2 - I promise you will not regret it! With the stock ecm tuned it will be like pushing that afterburner button you see on TV

Just my opinion

This is where I am going to be a little different. The biggest reason I went with a turbo was, well...turbos were first to market for the Slingshot. The second big reason was high altitude efficiency. Turbos generally just work better in the Colorado air. Now...with that being said...I wish I had waited on a Supercharger. I think the driveability of a supercharger is just that much better. You have power all the time. Add to that if something happens to a supercharger, you can just pull the belt and continue on. I also think that having the Supercharger with the Trakhamr would be the perfect combo.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Typically we unplug the harness going to the fuel injectors when doing the installs, since that prevents fuel from being sprayed into the cylinders while the engine is turning over. There will be a check engine light after you plug the connector back in and start the engine, but it should go away after driving the Slingshot a couple times.

Thanks Dave!

123hotdog and this is why the master speaks and we all listen :)

I learn something new everyday.

• I have been with the little woman for over a decade. Asking for forgiveness works much better than asking for permission. Not only that, the silent treatment you get after that will allow you to focus better while installing it.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014