oaky turbo/supercharger

• alight guys I would ;like your honest opinion on this. I have been wanting a supercharger for some time now, but I have went over my trackhamr budget lol, no big deal.. So I wanted some advice or input on which way I should go. since you all have supercharges and turbos. I will not be doing any racing or anything like that. I just want a little extra pep on the highway when I need it, like passing cars and stuff. or getting out of the way of a crazy driver. I know Dave@DDMWorks has a stage 1 turbo that is not priced to bad in my opinion. It is my understanding that the supercharger has the power all time, and the turbo kicks in at a certain rpm, am I even in the ball park on this. and since you guys have these and know what I am looking for, just a little extra pep, from time to time, plus love the blowoff sound it makes lol. so would turbo, supercharger, or even a bob's tune be the way to go. I would just like you guys opinion please, and thanks

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• alight guys I would ;like your honest opinion on this. I have been wanting a supercharger for some time now, but I have went over my trackhamr budget lol, no big deal.. So I wanted some advice or input on which way I should go. since you all have supercharges and turbos. I will not be doing any racing or anything like that. I just want a little extra pep on the highway when I need it, like passing cars and stuff. or getting out of the way of a crazy driver. I know Dave@DDMWorks has a stage 1 turbo that is not priced to bad in my opinion. It is my understanding that the supercharger has the power all time, and the turbo kicks in at a certain rpm, am I even in the ball park on this. and since you guys have these and know what I am looking for, just a little extra pep, from time to time, plus love the blowoff sound it makes lol. so would turbo, supercharger, or even a bob's tune be the way to go. I would just like you guys opinion please, and thanks

Will you need to add these when passing stuff????

• Well I can assure you the SC guys will recommend what they have under the hood and us Turbo junkies will do the same.

My recommendation is the DDM Stage 2 - I promise you will not regret it! With the stock ecm tuned it will be like pushing that afterburner button you see on TV

Just my opinion

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Well I can assure you the SC guys will recommend what they have under the hood and us Turbo junkies will do the same.

My recommendation is the DDM Stage 2 - I promise you will not regret it! With the stock ecm tuned it will be like pushing that afterburner button you see on TV

Just my opinion

Yes sir you are correct on that, just wanted a unbias opinion with that I am looking for. and I will look at the stage 2 kit as well thank you for your input sir.

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• I researched both. I wanted to go with the turbo, as it was cheaper to get the numbers I hoped for. I'm thankful I could buy one from a friend that had the supercharger already installed, so I could build it the way I wanted to from there and have what I really wanted in the first place! Thanks Brody ( bjk81 )!

Turbos come on all at once. Explosive power, like a 2 stroke dirt racing bike. The power varies with RPM, but once it spools, it's there until you let off. The other negative is that they are more likely to blow an engine. Lean/detonation is an issue on both, but if anything fails on the turbo setup (AF ratio, Manifold pressure, boost control.... as I understood it) you could be looking for a new engine due to a hole in the piston or one of them coming out thru the block.

Supercharging works differently. It is belt driven, so there's zero turbo lag. If you have spooled a turbo, the power is there, but it's powered by the exhaust gases. If you let off, and then put the right foot down..... it has to spool up from the exhaust and then deliver power. Now, on the SC (supercharger), it is ready and willing to put out now, or let off, then back on... zero lag. Whatever HP is available at that RPM, is available the moment you push down the right side peddle.

Mine has enough power in 2nd to spin at anything above 2500-3000 by just shoving my right foot down even with traction control on. That's with a summer/sticky tire. The cooler the temp, the worse it gets. I've had sticky tires give way in upper RPMs at closer to 90 if it's cool out.

But here is the real difference. I run 93 octane only (just for reference), and the SC is very predictable. Lower RPM, it helps, but not intrusive. About 3700-3800, things change. Now the performance is strong and predictable. It ramps up quickly, but comes on with the RPM, so you can feel and adjust for it. Think of a graphic sign that shows the HP as the RPM grows. Think of that as rising quickly after 3800 or so RPMs. That is the SC, and you can let off if you want and then ask for more and it will be right there as before.

This is the best that I can describe it here. If you would still like more, PM me and we'll set up a time for a phone conversation. :)

Or Dave at DDMWorks can explain it better I'm sure. A call to him might serve you well.... :)

• thanks for you info and input. last thing I need is to blow an engine.

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• Same here on the blown engine! But if I did I'd go with a forged engine next time. I've researched, but that's the easy part. Price point, I like the ZZP. But DDMWorks has come thru so many times.....

Just trying to help. Good luck!

• Same here on the blown engine! But if I did I'd go with a forged engine next time. I've researched, but that's the easy part. Price point, I like the ZZP. But DDMWorks has come thru so many times.....

Just trying to help. Good luck!

and I thank you for the help that is why I posted this and asked for everyone's thoughts sir

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• I am a turbo guy, but Daves SC is an incredible boost option. It is very solid, talk to Trent. Just remember once you boost its like a drug and you want more. Try to think ahead because the built motor from Dave is the best way to do any large boosting. Stock motors can only take so much and they are all different and you wont know if you have a weak one until it pops. Turbos are more complicated to install vs the SC. Either way you go will give you performance, and I think you would like the linear pull from the SC.

• Turbo gives you a kick in the pants like nothing else, but a SC is easier to drive day to day I think because of the greater consistency of power application.

SC is definitely easier if you have to do engine work later (especially if you're going to pull the engine for a new clutch!) Either way, think carefully about a new clutch at the same time. If your clutch is worn or weak, MUCH easier to have this done at the same time! The increase in power will reveal any weakness in the clutch system for sure!

We have a turbo vehicle (Ruby) and a SC vehicle (Captain's '11 Jag XK-R). If you like to drive it hard, go turbo. If you like an "interceptor" style cruiser, go SC.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I'd have to pretty much agree with @Goats_Hogs' post above. SCs are more reliable in that you always get X amount of boost at Y rpm and as the engine revs, the boost increases proportionately. A TC systems lacks this direct relationship between boost and rpm and can fluctuate. The consistent boost of an SC means you are less likely to need an AFR/Boost gauge or separate gauges if you prefer, but the cost of $3-400 for a combo AFR/Boost gauge is probably still a good idea since they will generally also provide a data-logging capability which can aid in troubleshooting or tweaking. Operating a turbo w/o an AFR/Boost combo gauge or separate gauges is a good way to risk engine damage. Running lean under boost is virtually guaranteed to cause engine damage.*

I originally wanted a SC, but my limited budget meant I went with a Hahn Stage 2 turbo setup purchased during one of Hahn's Slightly Warm specials where he included a used StreetRace exhaust and I ended up with my turbo kit for just over $4000 including the baffles for the exhaust, which back in late 2017 was a very good price. At the time most boost options started around $5K plus the exhaust cost. Overall, I have been very happy with my Hahn turbo kit and received good support the couple times I contacted him, but that was several years ago.

Now, both ZZP and DDM Works offer turbo kit with similar performance (both to each other and my Hahn Stage 2 kit) with an effective price/performance point of $3000. Hahn also offers a intercooler-less Stage 1 system for even less, but adding an exhaust will push the cost above the ZZP and DDMWorks kits.

As Doc&Ruby posted, SCs are more consistent in boost and driveability while TCs produce more boost at a lower engine rpm with the challenge of controlling rear wheel spin as you accelerate.

As far as best basic boost performance for the money, I think either of the ZZP or DDMWorks turbo kits will meet your needs. Personally, I think the additional power increases between the ZZP basic turbo kit and their upgraded version or the difference between the DDM Works Stage 1 & Stage 2 turbo kits isn't really worth the extra cost. Also keep in mind that the stock Slingshot 2.4L engine is generally safe up to around 300 HP when boosted (although individual engines may or may not hold up at such output levels), but anything above 300 HP calls for a boost-built engine with strengthened internals.

*Fortunately, I haven't experienced this condition during the 24,000 miles I've had my turbo installed, but my Hahn Stage 2 setup, normally designed to run around 6-7 psi boost, has recently occasionally shown boost levels as high as 8.4 psi. A common cause of increased boost can be a vacuum leak, but it has occurred so infrequently that I doubt that's my problem. A SC system should not present such a problem since there is a direct relationship between boost and rpm.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

Everyone is giving really good information as usual on this forum. If you have any questions we can answer, just let us know also. Dave