What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• Thanks Ed!!

I'm probably in the minority, but I was in a Slingshot with a CAT Delete pipe. The smell of the exhaust drove me nuts. That's why I never did anything with it.

living in California I am hesitant to remove the CAT, our smog laws say it is not legal to do so. right now there are no inspections of motorcycles which California still classifies the Slingshot as, but this is California and you never know if they might change that - they have tried in the past

also as you point out the smell is something I have heard others talk about

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Thanks Ed!!

I'm probably in the minority, but I was in a Slingshot with a CAT Delete pipe. The smell of the exhaust drove me nuts. That's why I never did anything with it.

I started my quest for a bit more aggressive sound by installing a 1320 cat delete pipe still using the factory exhaust. The exhaust fumes in the cabin was terrible.

Exhaust upgrade 2.0 consisted of an ebay header / exhaust.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-…ksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This exhaust was LOUD. Basically, a long tube header directly through a stainless cherry bomb. I ended up installing a 3 disk collector insert from www.carchemistry.com - this tamed the exhaust enough that is was bearable. Still loud but only stupid loud when I had my MeanSling sport top. With the top, no cabin conversation could happen. Surprisingly, cabin exhaust fumes were minimal (far less than the cat delete/stock muffler).

Unfortunately, this exhaust is made CHEAP. Anyone considering this should just toss $400 in the woodstove for kindling. At least that way, you get some use out of the cash. Within the first 500 miles, the inside of the muffler can started breaking down. Sounded like it was filled with chicklets. Since no replacement parts are available from the ebay maker, I found a race resonator and had my welder weld on some v-bands.

Shortly after that, I heard a vibration when revving the motor. It ended up being a cracked factory weld. So, back to my welder. Fast forward to the end of the summer and more factory welds were broken to the point that the muffler can was swinging back and forth. So……..back to my welder again. It turns out that, since this junk hangs completely by the manifold bolts only, just the resonant vibration shreds the cheap stainless factory welds. I did have him weld things up - -WAY stronger than from the factory with an added gusset.

Being disgusted with that exhaust, I recently installed a Welter rear exit (w/cat delete down pipe). Decided to leave the Welter silencer insert on the shelf. I couldn’t be happier with the sound. I do get some exhaust fumes when backing out of the driveway and a slight bit at certain speeds but, nothing that bothers my wife or myself.

So I has some stainless paperweights hanging around the garage.

• Thanks Ed!!

🧐 Hummmmm good insight 🙂 I’m rather simple. All I want is a pretty header and if the ol girl breaths better and perhaps sounds a little better I B happy. Might just do a coonass performance kit ( punch a couple of holes in da muffler) 🤪

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• 🧐 Hummmmm good insight 🙂 I’m rather simple. All I want is a pretty header and if the ol girl breaths better and perhaps sounds a little better I B happy. Might just do a coonass performance kit ( punch a couple of holes in da muffler) 🤪

There is a good sale going on for a Twist Dymanics header.

This is what I chose in front of the Welter system.

Bolts up to stock exhaust as well.

https://slingshotonly.com/td-p…68i3WRePerb1yw6Gz1QIVIyxA

• Got the side mirrors from last winter's project finished up and put back on just in time for this winter. Smoothed and painted to match. With the exception of the center tunnel I believe I have now smoothed and painted as much of this slingshot as possible. Not much going on this winter. Just keep it clean and wait for warmer days.

• Got the hawk brake pads in today, they’ve been sitting in my tool box for months now. Very easy job however I found that the lower caliper bolt on the passenger side was 1/4in loose...yikes! Here is a photo of how it was when I found it. I’ve never taken that bolt out in the 4 years I’ve owned the sling and the pads were original Polaris, so it must have been that way for a long time. All snug now!

• Parts from DDM came in today. Got swaybar, endlinks, swaybar mounts, and adjustable shocks installed today. Fit and finish were perfect. Ride quality is night and day difference. Thank you again for quality products.

You’re going to love the shocks. Every time we ride in the twisties I’m amazed at what a difference the DDM3 ways make. It’s a mod that keeps on giving🙂

• Did not have as much time as I wanted this weekend and I am no expert by any means but around town the ride is much smoother. I am trying to read up as much as possible about adjusting the compression and rebound rates on the shocks and how it effects the slingshot. One thing I noticed this afternoon (and it may just be the cooler temps) but the rear end breaks loose way to easy. Anytime from a stop if you give it not even 1/2 throttle the rear end breaks loose always towards the passenger side and the front veers left. It feels like there is not enough weight transferSettings are:

Front: 2C 6R

Rear: 1C 3R.

There really is no way to explain how much better the ride is. It is phenomenal.

Temp today was 63

• Did not have as much time as I wanted this weekend and I am no expert by any means but around town the ride is much smoother. I am trying to read up as much as possible about adjusting the compression and rebound rates on the shocks and how it effects the slingshot. One thing I noticed this afternoon (and it may just be the cooler temps) but the rear end breaks loose way to easy. Anytime from a stop if you give it not even 1/2 throttle the rear end breaks loose always towards the passenger side and the front veers left. Settings are:

Front: 2C 6R

Rear: 1C 3R.

There really is no way to explain how much better the ride is. It is phenomenal.

Depending upon the area of Texas you live in? While I don't have any indicator of the actual road temperature there is a dramatic difference in road traction below 50 deg. (with stock tires). Below 50 tire spin is quite easy and happens without effort. Its still very predictable and easy to control. I'll opt for a better "sticky" tire when the time comes.

• The rubber compounds used on summer performance tires become harder and can have less traction at lower temperatures - at very low temperatures they can even become so brittle they can crack and have chunks of the tread break off - if you are going to ride year round and you live where temps stay below 40 to 50 you might want to switch to an all season performance tire. - - - I am fortunate enough to live in a place where the average high even in December and January is in the 70's but even so I have noticed that on cold mornings there is a big difference in traction

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Among the other projects I’m working on, this seemed the easiest to do. The new steering wheel came in last night, I rewrapped the orange stripes in carbon fiber vinyl. Decided to leave the white stripes alone, for now. Maybe red? I was able to hook all four buttons up for the horn.

• That is pretty!

• There is a good sale going on for a Twist Dymanics header.

This is what I chose in front of the Welter system.

Bolts up to stock exhaust as well.

https://slingshotonly.com/td-p…68i3WRePerb1yw6Gz1QIVIyxA

mpj220 are these one and the same?

Lower is the slingmods site